Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Son learning In Isreal where can he find a doctor
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:13 am
DrMom wrote:
How is this possible?

Is he an Israeli citizen or is he here on a foreign passport?

Doesn't a place as prestigious as Mir have some person who coordinates health insurance coverage for students before they enroll?

I'll check it out tomorrow. I gave all the paperwork necessary

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:13 am
Second the recommendation for wolfson. Dr Jonty maresky there is great. Worth the ten minute trip.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:14 am
amother OP wrote:
I googled Terem for him on Friday and the closest one was a 10 minute drive from Mir.

Maybe I dont know what the correct address is?

The closest one is Shivtei Yisrael. He can get a cab or go by bus. The bus should be less than half an hour. (A taxi would obviously be quicker, but cost more.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:20 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Sorry to be alarmist, but he really needs some form of insurance. Hopefully all he has now is a bad cold, but an injury or even appendicitis could be a big deal without insurance.

Ideally, try to get him onto Maccabi or Meuchedet, so that he can get seamless treatment. Both have plenty of English speaking doctors in Jerusalem.

Traveling half an hour by bus, or ten minutes by taxi, to Wolfson or to Terem shouldn't be such a big deal. Suggest that a friend go with him.

Also, it's IsrAel (Yisrael) not Isreal.

You're not alarmist at all. I totally agree.

My son is in his last but not least teenage year and he is acting like one with me panicking on the other side of the ocean feeling alarmist and like this typical anxious Jewish mother.

He's acting all cool about everything materialistic all hyped up about his new Israeli friends' lack of gashmiyos and the only thing that matters is what Reb Asher Arieli said today.

I know he will find balance in a few months but at the moment it is challenging to get him to a doctor or to know if his Visa or insurance is beseder.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:25 am
amother OP wrote:
You're not alarmist at all. I totally agree.

My son is in his last but not least teenage year and he is acting like one with me panicking on the other side of the ocean feeling alarmist and like this typical anxious Jewish mother.

He's acting all cool about everything materialistic all hyped up about his new Israeli friends' lack of gashmiyos and the only thing that matters is what Reb Asher Arieli said today.

I know he will find balance in a few months but at the moment it is challenging to get him to a doctor or to know if his Visa or insurance is beseder.

I promise you, his nonmaterialistic Israeli friends have health insurance.

abound

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:35 am
dr. Slater in arzei habira does walkins in the morning, but I am not sure till what time.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:52 am
Suggestion for next zman- send along antibiotics for such emergencies.

gold2

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:38 am
Suggestion for next zman- send along antibiotics for such emergencies.

absolutely not! you can only take it at the advice of a dr

since you trusted him to come to Israel alone maybe let him take care of himself
I'm sure he can figure it out if he wants

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:54 am
I just asked my husband to check this out.
If he registered OFFICIALLY in the Mir, he will have had to apply for a student visa and get health insurance.
If he just came and sorted himself out, I'm not sure.

Either way, Meuchedet do "a dollar a day" for non Israelis. He can just go in there and sign up.
A taxi to Terem on Shivtei Yisrael is no big deal but personally I haven't been pleased with the doctors there, it's more of a first aid clinic.

Either way, all he (or you) have to do is call/go into the office and ask what to do. No big deal.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:11 am
DrMom wrote:
How is this possible?

Is he an Israeli citizen or is he here on a foreign passport?

Doesn't a place as prestigious as Mir have some person who coordinates health insurance coverage for students before they enroll?

A lot of people are learning in the Mir without being officially enrolled. There are also dirahs where buchrim live in which make’s oversight more complex than in a dorm. It’s one of the downsides of such a huge place that you can really be there with little supervision, the assumption being that 19/20/21 year olds have some level of maturity.
That being said, it’s very typical for boys to downplay the need for a doctor. Depending how sick your son feels, and if he has any severe symptoms, I would try to encourage him to make the trip but don’t get overly involved unless you think it’s pikuah nefesh. As a young adult let him learn from his mistakes, even if that means paying a costly miyun bill because he can’t be bothered to go to the doctor.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:28 am
notshanarishona wrote:
As a young adult let him learn from his mistakes, even if that means paying a costly miyun bill because he can’t be bothered to go to the doctor.

In theory I agree, but who is really going to end up paying the bill for cheder miyun?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:34 am
The train takes him quite close to terem.
Dr Slater in Arzei is a good doctor. Check if he has insurance, if not, get the dollar a day and send him to a clinic.
Rav Asher has health insurance and most likely an upgraded form.
Go to Chaim V’chessed to get details on how to do it right.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:32 am
I also recommend Dr. Stein. I don't know how much he takes for private but he's the nicest person on earth, so he'll probably be nice about that too.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:41 am
WitchKitty wrote:
I also recommend Dr. Stein. I don't know how much he takes for private but he's the nicest person on earth, so he'll probably be nice about that too.

Dr Stein isn't close to Mir.

I recommend going to the Mir office and asking how to sign up for meuchedet.

There's also a meuchedet office right there. I believe you can sign up on the spot.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:56 am
amother Yolk wrote:
I just asked my husband to check this out.
If he registered OFFICIALLY in the Mir, he will have had to apply for a student visa and get health insurance.
If he just came and sorted himself out, I'm not sure.

Either way, Meuchedet do "a dollar a day" for non Israelis. He can just go in there and sign up.
A taxi to Terem on Shivtei Yisrael is no big deal but personally I haven't been pleased with the doctors there, it's more of a first aid clinic.

Either way, all he (or you) have to do is call/go into the office and ask what to do. No big deal.

He is officially registered but no one spoke about health insurance.

dilego

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 12:08 am
He should either walk in to the yeshiva office or ask Rav Osher Arieli what to do. Sorry.
I know dr stein is gr8 now if he takes a taxi it os not a big difference where to either dr stein or terem on shivte yisrael or ohaliov opposite center 1. Arzei is sure closer in walking distance

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 2:59 am
dilego wrote:
He should either walk in to the yeshiva office or ask Rav Osher Arieli what to do. Sorry.
I know dr stein is gr8 now if he takes a taxi it os not a big difference where to either dr stein or terem on shivte yisrael or ohaliov opposite center 1. Arzei is sure closer in walking distance

Do bochurim actually ask Reb Asher things like this? My son has him on such a high pedestal I'm not sure he would ask him such a thing.

He told me he is feeling better and he will see a doctor tomorrow if he isn't better.

As of today he didn't have a cough and no fever so I hope he is getting better.

This thread was very useful for me. Thanks for all your responses.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 3:19 am
amother OP wrote:
Do bochurim actually ask Reb Asher things like this? My son has him on such a high pedestal I'm not sure he would ask him such a thing.

He told me he is feeling better and he will see a doctor tomorrow if he isn't better.

As of today he didn't have a cough and no fever so I hope he is getting better.

This thread was very useful for me. Thanks for all your responses.

They don't!!!
There is a meuchedet office right by the mir no doctors there, he should go there and them what paperwork to fill out, its really simple.
Dr ben ari is also literally a few meters away from the mir, he will take private.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 3:31 am
amother OP wrote:

No, I think that poster was joking, because you said "....the only thing that matters is what Reb Asher Arieli said today"

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 4:47 am
They don't ask Reb Asher. But they ask the Rebbetzin in the office, believe me, she's heard everything.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics