Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Do seminaries disqualify someone who went to therapy?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 3:09 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
If there is a known issue that is obviously hard anyway- like a divorce or chronic illness in the family or tragedy then I think therapy is likely to be seen as a positive and there is no reason to skip the question. It would be like yes- it helped with adjustment to this or that....
. If it is less obvious that it was needed and if there is no real risk of the school needing to know something (not risky behaviors or eating disorder/ more like mild to moderate anxiety or adjustment issues that no one else really sees) than I would skip it.

Modern schools are much more forgiving of both therapy annd medication and as long as there is no risky behavior they are unlikely to reject because of it. It is extremely common in those schools for people to pay for therapy and use meds even when borderline needed.

What if we want to send to a place that is a good BY type seminary? How likely are they to be okay with the fact that she's in therapy?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:41 pm
I went to therapy and wrote it on the application. I was accepted to Bnos Sarah were I went.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 13 2023, 8:32 pm
Our daughter is devastated. She feels that no place will want her because of all her emotional baggage. She is so worried that only a place for girls who aren't solid in their Yiddishkeit will take her. My daughter does NOT want that. She is on the Yeshivish side and does not listen to non-jewish music and is also very tnzuis and wants to be with other good girls like her.

Any ideas of how to make the seminaries more open to her? Is there something specific that her school should say or not say to the seminaries? (She will be applying this upcoming November)

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 27 2023, 8:14 pm
Bump

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:22 am
Of course places will take her as long as you write to was minor anxiety or something like that and is doing well it is juts extra support

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:19 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
Of course places will take her as long as you write to was minor anxiety or something like that and is doing well it is juts extra support

Can anyone who wrote it on the application and their daughter got in, confirm this?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:37 pm
Highstrung wrote:
That’s a violating question. When I called my rav regarding a violating question on a school app he told me he can not give a heter to lie. He said either answer truthfully or leave it blank. I think I left it blank. We were accepted and they never asked about that question.

Avraham Avinu lied, when he said Sarah was his sister and not his wife. There are times when the right thing is to lie.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 1:01 pm
Not bais Yaakov but yes to Michlala I definitely know of someone this year. And I think earlier in this thread soemone mentioned a more right beis Yaakov seminary.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 1:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone who wrote it on the application and their daughter got in, confirm this?

We wrote on the application she's in therapy. If I remember correctly, they didn't ask for a reason. She was accepted to a regular BY seminary and is going in September.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 1:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Our daughter is devastated. She feels that no place will want her because of all her emotional baggage. She is so worried that only a place for girls who aren't solid in their Yiddishkeit will take her. My daughter does NOT want that. She is on the Yeshivish side and does not listen to non-jewish music and is also very tnzuis and wants to be with other good girls like her.

Any ideas of how to make the seminaries more open to her? Is there something specific that her school should say or not say to the seminaries? (She will be applying this upcoming November)

I feel like a lot depends on the school principal and her relationships with seminaries.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 1:47 pm
Of course it’s important for the seminary to know. My daughter came back from seminary and a girl in her seminary was a kleptomania she kept stealing from the other girls for some reason her parents thought it was okay to lie and it won’t affect anyone else but guess what it did. Her issue actually was worse because she was in close contact with other girls stuff. It’s not fair to other parents to lie about your daughters issues the school needs to know because they need to know how to deal with your daughter and also there is only a certain amount of issue girls they can take and handle.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info