Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child getting tubes in ear

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:41 pm
My 4-5y year old pre-k/kindergartener is having tubed inserted this week. I'm so nervous. But mostly relieved. It's been 7 months of back and forth pediatrician and all the problems that come with not being able to hear. How long can I expect my kid to get their hearing back.

Did you do any intervention? What kind.
Pronunciation is off
Social communication/social skills is off.
Can't focus so well. When can't hear.
Even a little hyper

Will things go back to normal on their own. Wad a very calm child before this

*Please don't quote me. So I can edit my post. I would appreciate response if you've been their done that. Thanks.

happy chick

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:44 pm
While I did not end up doing tubes, my child did have mild hearing loss. As soon as the fluid cleared up (which could be from tubes, or any other method) his hearing improved immediately. In terms of correcting his articulation, that's still a work in progress.

mzybas

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:59 pm
You might want to change the title to tubes. Sounds like a musical prodigy to me 😉

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:46 pm
For those that saw a different child or sound was to loud after I carting tubes how long was the problem going on? Did you feel the child should have gotten tubes sooner? Does your child have lasting damage from not hearing?

I accidentally started two threads trying to correct the spelling in the total how do I fix that?

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 5:30 pm
My son got tubes at 2.5 because of hearing loss due to fluid. His hearing improved immediately and I saw improvements in enunciation and speech within the month.

A 4/5 year old child is a bit more set in their ways than a 2 year old. Has your pediatrician mentioned speech therapy?

mom24.7

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 5:50 pm
Op please pm me. I have experience teaching a kindergarten student that got tubes.

flory42

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 8:10 pm
Mine got tubes at 2. Within 2 months she was speaking beautifully, and right away she felt better and Less in pain from the fluid buildup she had.
The procedure itself was quick and not scary, she woke up right away and was in fine mood.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 9:31 pm
My son got tubes at 3 , he wasn’t taking much and had tons of tantrums, was hyper and difficult to self regulate. We did the tubes and I wish I had done them earlier… it took months of medication and being sick and back and forth till we finally got a tube appointment .
The procedure was calm and quick. I barely got the way Tehillim when they called me back to the room it was done so fast bh.
His speech has been coming in so much since we did it, it’s a year later and he made great progress and no fluid or ear infections bh.
I did get him all the therapy , speech and OT and special ed…. Whatever services you can get your child , now is the time.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 9:32 pm
He is a much calmer and happier child espeically now that he can communicate better and hear better!

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 9:10 am
amother OP wrote:
For those that saw a different child or sound was to loud after I carting tubes how long was the problem going on? Did you feel the child should have gotten tubes sooner? Does your child have lasting damage from not hearing?

I accidentally started two threads trying to correct the spelling in the total how do I fix that?

My son got tubes at 4yr, I wish It would've done earlier, when I finally did it was a bit too late the damage in the middle ear from the fluid caused his permanent hearing loss and eardrums were already ruptured, today he wears hearing aids in both ears after a lot of intervention and speech therapy he is doing fine b"h, but it all could've been avoided if I was just not trying to be smarter than the doctors, my husband doesn't like when I say could've should've but the fact is I will take the guilt with me in grave

tryinghard

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 9:13 am
OP I sincerely hope that the tubes help with the hearing loss, but unfortunately that’s not always the case. We had this with our oldest, we were sure the tubes would solve the hearing loss. It didn’t.
BH we are in a good place now, and I am happy to discu

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 4-5y year old pre-k/kindergartener is having tubed inserted this week. I'm so nervous. But mostly relieved. It's been 7 months of back and forth pediatrician and all the problems that come with not being able to hear. How long can I expect my kid to get their hearing back.

Did you do any intervention? What kind.
Pronunciation is off
Social communication/social skills is off.
Can't focus so well. When can't hear.
Even a little hyper

Will things go back to normal on their own. Wad a very calm child before this

*Please don't quote me. So I can edit my post. I would appreciate response if you've been their done that. Thanks.

Can you please update any results?

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:31 pm
My son ds got tubes at 2 and began speaking 2 weeks after the surgery.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:52 pm
My child got tubes at 2.5. he started talking way more clearly it's a half a year since and his speech is still not perfect but it keeps getting better so no therapy yet...
Actual procedure took really quickly and he was feeling good right away

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:35 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
Can you please update any results?

B"h everything went very quick. His speech is not better but improved. Before he was so unclear. Now we are noticing more his lisps. We will start to work on that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics