Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Will I lose my house to medicaid?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:33 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I don't know much about medicaid so thanks for thr clarification. But if it's in their divorce decree (I'm guessing based on a later comment that there's something like this in there), they will still penalize him? Technically as part of a divorce negotiation, the asset isn't given away for less than market value. Or do they just not care about the details of other court orders?

Op- just about the mortgage, you won't be able to get him off unless you can refinance under your own name and income. I have that situation, I own my home 100% outright, but my ex is still on the mortgage and will be until I sell (if I do).

I know. The deal in the divorce was that I get the mortgage in my name only and then the new deed in my name only, which was signed but not filed, will then be filed. The amount owed on the mortgage was low enough that I was told to get a home equity loan to pay off the mortgage. I was tentatively approved until they found the liens, and then denied because of them. So I just let it go as XHs mental state is not clear and he really has no idea what is happening anymore. So I didn't push the issue of him having his lawyer file the deed. The mortgage will eyh be paid off within the next 2 years, though if push comes to shove, I can pay it off early if needed. Then I would push to have the deed filed.

I still can't sell the house because of the liens as no one wants to buy a house with liens on it. So medicaid still is unlikely to gain anything if they go after the house.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics