Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Study abroad programs
Previous  1  2

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:51 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
You can get a degree, but it's a VERY different degree to spending (at least) 2 year focusing on you major. In the "olden days" we got a year of credits from seminary, a year from "clepping" minor subjects like humanities. But then you still did 2 full years (I.e Sarah Schneirer) with top professors learning psychology and education courses. Each class alone had hours of homework and observations. We came out with a lot of knowledge and well equipped for careers. And then we still did our masters. I can attest that this is no longer true. The "express" track does not prepare you at all for a job or career. I have a niece that paid experienced teachers for private lessons so she would be ready to teach because the education the girls receive now isn't sufficient. Yes sure you can finish your degree 6 months after seminary but really what do you know?

Hmmm..thats quite interesting. So do you find that in general these fast degree programs aren't effective in training women for jobs or just sometimes?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:14 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
You can get a degree, but it's a VERY different degree to spending (at least) 2 year focusing on you major. In the "olden days" we got a year of credits from seminary, a year from "clepping" minor subjects like humanities. But then you still did 2 full years (I.e Sarah Schneirer) with top professors learning psychology and education courses. Each class alone had hours of homework and observations. We came out with a lot of knowledge and well equipped for careers. And then we still did our masters. I can attest that this is no longer true. The "express" track does not prepare you at all for a job or career. I have a niece that paid experienced teachers for private lessons so she would be ready to teach because the education the girls receive now isn't sufficient. Yes sure you can finish your degree 6 months after seminary but really what do you know?

I'm amother Teal above whose daughter did B.A in a few months. I actually fully agree with this post. I pushed her to do it because she's not sure what she wants to do on the long run. I thought it might come in handy to have a B.A in the future but she really didn't learn much!
She did work hard, she had a few essays to write and had to post on discussion boards at least 3 times per week,as well as a bunch of tests but I don't think what she learnt will be very useful professionally.
Most girls then do a masters program and that where they learn what they need for their job.
The girls that do those accelerated programs are usually smart girls, self motivated and self disciplined students ! Most of the learning is done on their own.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics