Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do U give Newborn vitamins? Exclusively BF
Previous  1  2  3

greenteaorange

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 2:17 pm
Doctor for my third was the first one to recommend vitam d drops but I never did it

rubyred

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 2:36 pm
If the mother is deficient in D, the milk will be too. If you know your D levels are well above normal, then I wouldn’t supplement. I know my vitamin D levels are 37 so I try to give my daughter a vitamin D supplement a few times a week. If the mother has a healthy iron store, the baby will have enough til 6 months and won’t need supplementation. If you aren’t planning to supplement your baby then at the very least take a multivitamin plus extra D and/or iron so your milk will have enough.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 3:06 pm
So, my child was an infant under 1 years old and anemic. I am not aware that I was anemic and it was discovered probably by the standard led test. He is a twin and the other twin’s levels tested fine. I’m not sure why. Maybe he digested food differently than his twin. They were both colicky

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 3:34 pm
Fwiw, delayed cord clamping can prevent anemia in babies. The blood they get while the cord is still pulsing is extremely iron rich and baby is designed to download iron stores then to last the first few months--to a year.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 3:46 pm
There is so much misinformation on this thread.
2 important points:
1) Yes, all breastfed babies should be given the vitamin d drops and maybe with the iron, ask your pediatrician. It’s very common for breastfed babies to be low in Vitamin D and Iron.
You should be introducing solids specifically for iron intake after 6 months.
2) The AAP isn’t out to get you Lilac.
You are very misinformed and spreading false propaganda.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 4:30 pm
Iron stores run out by 6 months. Exclusively breastfed don’t get iron from mom even if mom has good levels. General recommendation is multivitamins w iron from 6m-1yr if baby not eating substantially/still mostly breastfed.
In the US, our babies get lead and hemoglobin checked at around 12 months.
As an aside, I’ve been lazy w the vitamins and my 10 month old baby hemoglobin was 9.6 at his well visit today 😬

rubyred

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 4:58 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
So, my child was an infant under 1 years old and anemic. I am not aware that I was anemic and it was discovered probably by the standard led test. He is a twin and the other twin’s levels tested fine. I’m not sure why. Maybe he digested food differently than his twin. They were both colicky

It could be the anemic twin got more iron in utero than the non anemic twin. Mothers iron stores generally only last til 6 months which is why recommendation is to supplement at 6 months.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 5:18 pm
amother Gold wrote:
Iron stores run out by 6 months. Exclusively breastfed don’t get iron from mom even if mom has good levels. General recommendation is multivitamins w iron from 6m-1yr if baby not eating substantially/still mostly breastfed.
In the US, our babies get lead and hemoglobin checked at around 12 months.
As an aside, I’ve been lazy w the vitamins and my 10 month old baby hemoglobin was 9.6 at his well visit today 😬

And my baby's iron levels were totally fine... No formula. EBF till he started solids.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 6:00 pm
It’s not necessary at all.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 6:42 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
It’s not necessary at all.

This isn’t the current advice.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 7:21 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
And my baby's iron levels were totally fine... No formula. EBF till he started solids.

They tested iron, or hemoglobin?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 9:46 pm
amother Gold wrote:
They tested iron, or hemoglobin?
There is no way to test iron directly. Neither hemoglobin nor ferritin tests actual iron levels, only inferred.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 10:08 pm
I don’t give any supplements.
My Dr. told me he has to prescribe it.

Dr.Irina

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
my pediatrician mentioned something about giving baby vitamins if they are being exclusively breastfed because they are missing certain vitamins... I will get more info from her by the next appointment in a few weeks but meanwhile can anyone share more details what do you give and how often?

I would not recommend giving breast feeding baby vitamins for that reason. Baby gets nutrients from your milk. Probiotics would be good idea if antibiotics were prescribed. Other vitamins/minerals/herbs should be used only if there are reasons/deficiencies/indigestion or acute colds/flues/traumas.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics