Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What does the name ELLA mean?
Previous  1  2  3

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 4:34 am
May I just add that all the Ellas I know are spelled עללא. Yiddish spelling.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:00 am
LovesHashem wrote:
We had women as kings? I feel so uneducated right now.

We did but not Ela - he was male.

There was Atalya who was a wicked queen of Yehuda.
There was Shlomzion who was later on, after the Hasmoneans- she was very good for Am Yisrael.
Can't think of anyone else right now (apart from Esther who was queen of Persia)

salt

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:01 am
WitchKitty wrote:
May I just add that all the Ellas I know are spelled עללא. Yiddish spelling.

That looks like Arabic to me Sad

carrot

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:11 am
yiddish does not do double lameds AFAIK.

maybe עלא?

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:12 am
salt wrote:
That looks like Arabic to me Sad

LOL
Good point.
But if you know yiddish vowels, that's how it works.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:14 am
carrot wrote:
yiddish does not do double lameds AFAIK.

maybe עלא?

I know 3, all unrelated, all עללא
I also know one Russian whose nickname is Ella from the name Elmira. She does spell it אלה

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:27 am
WitchKitty wrote:
אלה בן בעשא Was a man.

Ah okay.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:17 pm
Lukshen wrote:
Pardon my take.. but why does a name need to have a meaning? Why can’t it just be a name? Especially if you’re naming after someone, isn’t that the meaningful part?

Our rav holds you should only name a name with mesorah.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:21 pm
salt wrote:
We did but not Ela - he was male.

There was Atalya who was a wicked queen of Yehuda.
There was Shlomzion who was later on, after the Hasmoneans- she was very good for Am Yisrael.
Can't think of anyone else right now (apart from Esther who was queen of Persia)

Queen Helena, but she was a queen of a neighboring country.

challah58

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:35 pm
I think Ella is such a pretty name! My name has no translation that I know of and neither does my daughter's. Neither of our names are uncommon though, and they're beautiful and full of meaning because we're named after beautiful people. A made up name with no background might be meaningless, but naming after someone who means something to you is special.

BatZion

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:48 pm
[quote="Lukshen"]Pardon my take.. but why does a name need to have a meaning? Why can’t it just be a name? Especially if you’re naming after someone, isn’t that the meaningful part?[/quoteJ

This is a bit of a funny thing to say. Isn't every single thing we do as Jewish people meaningful? From the way we wash our hands in the morning to the way we go to bed at night? Why on earth would we give Jewish children with Jewish souls meaningless, empty names? If we believe that every soul comes down to this earth for a reason and we believe that we live every aspect of our lives according to a higher meaning, don't you think it's strange to just give our children random names? Don't you think names have an effect on people's personalities, lives, and perhaps even on higher spheres? I guess I'm trying to say that I really do, and I, therefore, find your comment baffling.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:14 pm
Love the name. The Ella's I know are Ella.
(why take a beautiful name like Ariella or Daniella
and call her Ella?)

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 6:28 pm
[quote="BatZion"]
Lukshen wrote:
Pardon my take.. but why does a name need to have a meaning? Why can’t it just be a name? Especially if you’re naming after someone, isn’t that the meaningful part?[/quoteJ

This is a bit of a funny thing to say. Isn't every single thing we do as Jewish people meaningful? From the way we wash our hands in the morning to the way we go to bed at night? Why on earth would we give Jewish children with Jewish souls meaningless, empty names? If we believe that every soul comes down to this earth for a reason and we believe that we live every aspect of our lives according to a higher meaning, don't you think it's strange to just give our children random names? Don't you think names have an effect on people's personalities, lives, and perhaps even on higher spheres? I guess I'm trying to say that I really do, and I, therefore, find your comment baffling.

In our religion we believe that what makes a name meaningful is giving a name after someone we loved or someone special. The meaning behind the name comes from the person we’re naming after. That’s why when a very respected rabbi or rebbetzin pass away there are so many babies named after them.
There are deep kabbalistic ideas about naming after people. Ordinary people like us can’t think into that deep stuff but we know there’s benefit to the baby getting the name of that special person who’s no longer alive, and also to the neshama of the person the baby’s named after. Many sephardim name after living relatives. It gives respect to the grandparents the baby’s named after and it’s very important to them.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 8:18 pm
It's a yiddish name - עלא

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 8:28 pm
My public library has this book
https://www.avotaynu.com/books/dagn.htm

It lists ela
See if you can get your hands on it

BatZion

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:36 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
In our religion we believe that what makes a name meaningful is giving a name after someone we loved or someone special. The meaning behind the name comes from the person we’re naming after. That’s why when a very respected rabbi or rebbetzin pass away there are so many babies named after them.
There are deep kabbalistic ideas about naming after people. Ordinary people like us can’t think into that deep stuff but we know there’s benefit to the baby getting the name of that special person who’s no longer alive, and also to the neshama of the person the baby’s named after. Many sephardim name after living relatives. It gives respect to the grandparents the baby’s named after and it’s very important to them.

Psst, we belong to the same religion. Please don't teach me about why and how we name in such a condescending way. I'm well aware of the inyan of naming after both living and deceased people. I was responding to the attitude of "Why do we need to consider the meaning at all of a name." It sounded like, "Hey if it's pretty, never mind the meaning or lack of it."

Naming after some we love/d or respect/ed is not the only way to go. There are also those that believe in naming babies after they are born according to what the parents feel is connected to the baby. Not forcing a name on a baby before we've even met the baby.

My husband and I don't name our children until they are born. We take into consideration the time of year they are born and what we feel suits the child. We davka don't name after people- living or deceased. And that, too, is in "our religion".

etky

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:46 am
salt wrote:
אלא is rather or except.

אלה is a type of tree - often used as a girl's name in Israel.

אלה was also the 4th king of Israel - Ela ben Basha.

And there was also Hoshea ben Ella הושע בן אלה - the last king of the northern kingdom before the Assyrian conquest.
Seems like it must have been a male name in that period.

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 2:59 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Our rav holds you should only name a name with mesorah.

At some point, every name was new. What year does your rav consider the beginning of the mesorah ?

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 6:50 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
At some point, every name was new. What year does your rav consider the beginning of the mesorah ?

This is standard for many chareidi or chassidish communities.

I'm not sure what time period is considered mesorah. Some names come from nonJewish sources/are versions sourced from there.

There's some books that have researched names well, one book is based on what Rav Chaim had to say about different names.

When we name our kids if were interested in a name that's not from the tanach I research and ask around, ask our rav or other rabbanim we know if there's a Jewish source/mesorah for it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names