Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
S/o losing weight. Are you overweight because you weren't ed
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:20 am
amother Pink wrote:
. Your snacks can be nuts, popcorn, or other low calorie options that are just as easy to eat as cake and ice cream.

Sorry, babe, nuts are not a low-calorie snack. They're nutritious and not all empty calories like, say, a brownie, but they're not something you can gobble with impunity. They're calorically dense and it takes a lot of them to make you feel that you've eaten something.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:23 am
amother Black wrote:
Sorry, babe, nuts are not a low-calorie snack. They're nutritious and not all empty calories like, say, a brownie, but they're not something you can gobble with impunity. They're calorically dense and it takes a lot of them to make you feel that you've eaten something.

And nuts are very easy to go overboard on.
I mean a portion is what 15 almonds for a snack.
How many almonds can one mindlessly consume?

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:58 am
I was always skinny or “regular” until I hit 50.
Now I’m very very overweight.
I would love to be educated as to what a peri menopausal/ hormonal woman can eat. TIA

fullyinbalance

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:02 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
You sound like someone compassionate who actually works with people who are overweight. I personally have sought out quite a bit of help for this area of my life. I have worked with a weight management clinic, done hormone testing, seen nutritionists/dieticians, tried various diets and programs, taken weight loss meds (basically all that exist), seen a therapist who specializes in eating disorders/disordered eating, everything except surgery.... These things have helped me. Though I am still very overweight, I have better awareness of what is going on in my head and heart. I have strategies I could use if I feel like it. I have come to better, neutral acceptance of my body and size.

Thanks, yes I try to understand each person and not to generalise as a Nutrition Coach.
It's important to remember that progress comes in many forms, and the awareness, strategies, and acceptance you've gained are significant achievements. Celebrate yourself even if weight is still a challenge!! I love that you have learned to accept your body! BH is a beautiful one gifted by H

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 5:02 pm
Loving this thread! Relate to it all so much. Growing up, my mother didn’t restrict us but constantly “reminded” us that we didn’t NEED whatever was being served. In a way, I think that was the worst. Our house always had cookies, cake, and junk food but then we’d be told to control ourselves rather than actually being taught HOW to eat properly. Then came the closet eating, binge eating etc. I’ve since been educated on all things nutrition. I can give classes! But that doesn’t stop me from retreating to old bad habits and an unhealthy association with food. Every time I start a diet, my whole body goes into fight mode. I end up gaining more weight each and every time. I think the only way to actually lose would be to get hypnotized or really change my whole psychological wiring. In the past few years it’s had spiraled out of control . I went from struggling with an extra 10 pounds to now having 50 pounds of excess weight and no stamina to gain control over the situation. I know my family is judging me and I’m just stuck in such a rut.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 5:38 pm
Quote:
I've known since I'm 5 years old that fruit are better than cake, to eat the rainbow, that whole grains are a better choice than white, that lean protein makes me feel fuller.
I know it all. My mother educated me. I educated myself.
And I'm still fat.

Is there really anyone that doesn't know this?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 5:41 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
I have so much education, I could write a book. Been taught since I was a child. My mother was healthy before it was cool to be healthy.
Yoyo dieted for 30 years.

In that case it might just have been the wrong education... restrictive dieting has been proven to NOT work! I much prefer the intuitive eating approach.

S-HappyMama

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 7:34 pm
This is such an important topic. And a painful one for so many people.
I started my first diet when I was 8. Not because I was overweight, but because everything was always about food - either eating it or not eating it. The mental noise about body image and food is deafening.
The "education" I got was not only from my parents, but from everyone, everywhere, at every moment. I have heard the same thing from so many women who have felt shame about their bodies, and it had less to do with weight than with being criticized. For example, one woman shared that she was bullied and put into "cherem," and so she just assumed it was because she was fat. This started a 25-year cycle of bulimia.
I definitely over-educated my older kids on healthy eating, not aware at the time that it was my fears in the driver's seat. I'd always point out how healthy my choices were, and do my snacking where they couldn't see. And I was too stingy about snacks, considering the culture we live in where we it seems corporations stay up night thinking of new ways to get more sugar and fat (and chemicals) into little bodies.
With my own journey to weight loss and emotional health, I learned that it's possible to break the connection between specific types of foods and the reasons I am drawn to them. Food can become just food. It's so freeing!
I don't believe we can educate away our culture's influence on being thin while simultaneously focusing on impressive spreads. However we can model healthy eating (without pointing it out) the same way we try to model positive speech, anger management, and conflict resolution. Once we heal our own wounds, and are able to relax around food, this becomes possible.

fullyinbalance

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:16 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Loving this thread! Relate to it all so much. Growing up, my mother didn’t restrict us but constantly “reminded” us that we didn’t NEED whatever was being served. In a way, I think that was the worst. Our house always had cookies, cake, and junk food but then we’d be told to control ourselves rather than actually being taught HOW to eat properly. Then came the closet eating, binge eating etc. I’ve since been educated on all things nutrition. I can give classes! But that doesn’t stop me from retreating to old bad habits and an unhealthy association with food. Every time I start a diet, my whole body goes into fight mode. I end up gaining more weight each and every time. I think the only way to actually lose would be to get hypnotized or really change my whole psychological wiring. In the past few years it’s had spiraled out of control . I went from struggling with an extra 10 pounds to now having 50 pounds of excess weight and no stamina to gain control over the situation. I know my family is judging me and I’m just stuck in such a rut.

It's so hard to be judged by your own family, especially when you're trying a new diet or forming a new habit to feel better. Are they supporting you in your efforts?

I've heard that hypnosis can be very helpful, but I believe that to feel great and healthy in your body, weight loss shouldn't be the main goal. Instead, it's about listening to your body signals and identifying what it needs; the weight will eventually shed off.

I always recommend my clients starting small and then progressing step by step. Of course, the most helpful way to stay on track and support those healthy habits is with the backing of a community that understands and supports you! This kind of support motivates you to keep going, celebrating every small achievement and even viewing challenges as valuable experiences that help you improve.

Feel free to reach out privately if you want some tips to get started.

fullyinbalance

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:17 pm
ShoshanaSchwart wrote:
This is such an important topic. And a painful one for so many people.
I started my first diet when I was 8. Not because I was overweight, but because everything was always about food - either eating it or not eating it. The mental noise about body image and food is deafening.
The "education" I got was not only from my parents, but from everyone, everywhere, at every moment. I have heard the same thing from so many women who have felt shame about their bodies, and it had less to do with weight than with being criticized. For example, one woman shared that she was bullied and put into "cherem," and so she just assumed it was because she was fat. This started a 25-year cycle of bulimia.
I definitely over-educated my older kids on healthy eating, not aware at the time that it was my fears in the driver's seat. I'd always point out how healthy my choices were, and do my snacking where they couldn't see. And I was too stingy about snacks, considering the culture we live in where we it seems corporations stay up night thinking of new ways to get more sugar and fat (and chemicals) into little bodies.
With my own journey to weight loss and emotional health, I learned that it's possible to break the connection between specific types of foods and the reasons I am drawn to them. Food can become just food. It's so freeing!
I don't believe we can educate away our culture's influence on being thin while simultaneously focusing on impressive spreads. However we can model healthy eating (without pointing it out) the same way we try to model positive speech, anger management, and conflict resolution. Once we heal our own wounds, and are able to relax around food, this becomes possible.

WOW - I love that you manage to escape from the FOOD Prison Mindset and you are at such a great place!!! BH
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise