Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
No Buy/ Low Buy
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:05 pm
Has anyone here done this?

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:16 pm
What groceries? Clothes? Just stuff?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:22 pm
dankbar wrote:
What groceries? Clothes? Just stuff?

I guess I'm thinking of only buying perishable groceries and other essentials like garbage bags and diapers.

Curious if anyone has done this for an extended amount of time.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:24 pm
So you are planning on starving?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:26 pm
dankbar wrote:
So you are planning on starving?

Sorry wasn't clear. Only buying perishable groceries until I work through all the nonperishable stuff I have in my pantry. Then I would start buying all groceries.

I really want to become more minimalist and intentional with what I buy (and saving some money would be nice too!)

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sorry wasn't clear. Only buying perishable groceries until I work through all the nonperishable stuff I have in my pantry. Then I would start buying all groceries.

I really want to become more minimalist and intentional with what I buy (and saving some money would be nice too!)

some people refer to this as Erev Pessach.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Fern wrote:
some people refer to this as Erev Pessach.

Smile

We actually sell chametz so I have a ton of stuff!

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:31 pm
I dont get it? If you have non perishable foods stocked up like rice, pasta, beans, split peas, lentils, flour, canned food, tuna, water, Grape juice, crackers, rice cake, snacks and then non food items, like paper goods, cleaning supplies, beauty/hygiene products, foils, containers, tissues, toilet paper, paper towel, laundry detergent then you don't need to buy. Just use what you have on hand first begore restocking.

Do you only want to live on perishables like meat, fish, chicken, eggs, dairy, bread and produce, ok you can do that if it works for you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:33 pm
dankbar wrote:
I dont get it? If you have non perishable foods stocked up like rice, pasta, beans, split peas, lentils, flour, canned food, tuna, water, Grape juice, crackers, rice cake, snacks and then non food items, like paper goods, cleaning supplies, beauty/hygiene products, foils, containers, tissues, toilet paper, paper towel, laundry detergent then you don't need to buy. Just use what you have on hand first begore restocking.

Do you only want to live on perishables like meat, fish, chicken, eggs, dairy, bread and produce, ok you can do that if it works for you.

Didn't mean to turn this into a thread about the food... I happened to mention the perishable food part.

I would like to try not buying most of the non food items you listed (though I would need to get detergent, toilet paper, tissues...)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:37 pm
Basically I am addicted to Amazon and Target and buy a ton without really thinking. Throw things in my cart at the grocery... I was thinking of trying this to kind of reset how I buy things and think about what I really need. Not to do this forever but maybe for 3 months? 6 months?

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:38 pm
I responded before I saw your explanations.

So definitely, before you make a new grocery order, go thru your pantry and see what you actually have and create a menu from the ingredients you already own. While you're doing that throw out all old, stale, expired foods.

There is a site than can actually help you create a menu from your pantry. Super cook. You list the ing currently in ypur pantry, and they pr9vide you with recipes for free

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:39 pm
dankbar wrote:
I responded before I saw your explanations.

So definitely, before you make a new grocery order, go thru your pantry and see what you actually have and create a menu from the ingredients you already own. While you're doing that throw out all old, stale, expired foods.

There is a site than can actually help you create a menu from your pantry. Super cook. You list the ing currently in ypur pantry, and they pr9vide you with recipes for free

Thank you sounds like a useful site!

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:41 pm
After the supply chain issues during covid I'm scared to do this

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:43 pm
Yes makes sense to be more intentional with your grocery shopping instead of just buying impulsively whatever you see.

If you create a menu for the week, then make a list with the ingredients that you are actually missing to be able to cook the foods that are on your menu, and only buy those, then you will definitely save money and you will have the ingredients ready to cook all your meals, on hand.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:46 pm
hodeez wrote:
After the supply chain issues during covid I'm scared to do this

I can hear that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:47 pm
dankbar wrote:
Yes makes sense to be more intentional with your grocery shopping instead of just buying impulsively whatever you see.

If you create a menu for the week, then make a list with the ingredients that you are actually missing to be able to cook the foods that are on your menu, and only buy those, then you will definitely save money and you will have the ingredients ready to cook all your meals, on hand.

I have to be better about making a menu if I want to make this work.

Thank you

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:08 pm
Just went through my last month of Amazon and Target orders

kids bathing suit $13
clorox wipes $6
scotch tape $3
masking tape $4
kids t shirt $4
sippy cup $12
makeup sponges $9
clothing steamer $40
crayons $6
womans tee $12
magnatiles $40
baby stacking cups $4
drill $110
ice packs $10
toothbrush holder $12
sink strainers $7
kids pjs multipack $30
dish towels $25

I feel like a lot of these could've been avoided. Things can be borrowed, we probably have another scotch tape somewhere I couldn't find, could've skipped it entirely and made do with what I have

Bear in mind this is just the online orders and it's $350 of miscellaneous stuff. It's kind of embarrassing when I write it all out like that

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:24 pm
And from other sites

Cute magnets $8
Floafers $23
Fancy scented candle $30
Sunscreen $22
Womans dress $30
Kids clothes $46

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:25 pm
Bh I'm not spending outside of our means, it just seems unnecessary and over the top. And a lot of it just becomes clutter or gets put in the closet and I don't use it so clearly it wasn't needed.

Busybee5

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:26 pm
I try to have a no spend week every other week. But I don't include food or toiletries at all.
It's more the extras that I can avoid, or wait for. I've saved a bit by doing this. I try to think of anything I might want/need before I start the no/very low spend week.
It's not easy for me, I'm a big spender (I tend to spend what I have!) but I'm learning...

For example, if I've been wanting to get my daughter a new dress, I'll wait it out for a spend week. I will avoid all clothing websites, and clothing isles in stores when I'm on my no spend weeks. Boring for me, because I love to look at the clothes, especially for my kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics