Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Night shift

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:01 am
Anyone who has worked night shift in a hospital, how does your husband go to maariv in the summer? We have only little kids now.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:13 am
Babysitters are your best friends

nursemom1

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:15 am
No my husband davens at home three nights a week and also shacharis because I’m not home in time. Very not ideal. One of the reasons I’ll be leaving shift work soon is that it really prevents him from davening at shul regularly. It’s not so practical to have a babysitter for three nights a week and three mornings a week when I’m working.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:21 am
nursemom1 wrote:
No my husband davens at home three nights a week and also shacharis because I’m not home in time. Very not ideal. One of the reasons I’ll be leaving shift work soon is that it really prevents him from davening at shul regularly. It’s not so practical to have a babysitter for three nights a week and three mornings a week when I’m working.

So mornings are not an issue for us because he doesn't have to be in work early. Finding a consistant babysitter 3 nights a week is just so difficult! My dh really hates not being able to go to maariv though.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:23 am
Do you have a teen neighbor near you that can do it for you consistently?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:27 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Do you have a teen neighbor near you that can do it for you consistently?

Not really. I'm trying to ask around.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:46 am
This was an issue for us for many years. We had a combination of a neighbor listening for our kids on a monitor (in a 2 family home with the adjoining doors unlocked and open). And my husband davening at home. And babysitters/neighbors helping out when my husband was in aveilus and needed to daven in shul to say kaddish.

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Jun 10 2023, 11:25 pm
try a Bubby type or mother of older kids/teens who can be left home alone. I, for instance, only have 16 year old twins. They like to go to bed early and then I can get out during the evening if I need/want to so that's a good job for someone like me. A teenager will be less consistent because of all the after school committments.

Where do you live? Maybe someone on here knows a neighbor of yours that can fit the bill.

amother
Wallflower

Post Sat, Jun 10 2023, 11:42 pm
You really need to find a steady sitter. I did this for years and it worked really well. Babysitter came when my husband left for night seder and maariv. Mornings he davened at home

Roots

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 4:02 am
remmeber that even a younger girl can help if the kids are asleep and you are availible on the phone. my 10 yr old is very very responsible and I do leave her to watch the young ones if I need to go out between 7-9pm
(try to think out of the box Beezrat Hashem you will find a solution

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 4:07 am
My mother worked at the Mikva for years

We had a neighbor who had a lot of boys and they would come and stay for about 20 minutes, they were in 7th or 8th grade as they would go to Mesivta the next one would come.

Not a problem with Yechud because I had a few brothers.
If that is an option for you, it might be easier to find boys for 20min-1\2hour then a girl.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics