Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
ISO Seminary Options

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 3:53 pm
What seminaries are out there that:
a) don't treat the girls like little kids with ridiculous rules and requirements?
b) are open to and discuss topics of emunah, bitachon, maybe even some contraversial stuff (LGBTQ, kollel vs not)?
Look at these issues from a objective lens; discuss these non black and white issues and give the girls knowledge and tools to draw their own conclusions?
c) doesn't give the girls busy work?
d) are more open minded, don't insist everyone look the same with button down collars and pleated skirts? Are okay with girls who wear tznius and tasteful clothes?

E) most important: have a really solid group of girls? I am finding it is hard to meet the 1st 4 criteria AND the last one.

I would prefer a BY seminary, if such a thing exists.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:16 pm
No such thing in a BY seminary.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:17 pm
I’m amused that kollel or not and alternative lifestyles are one big chulent in your head.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:37 pm
I went to Michlalah (about 5 years ago, I would say recent enough that it is still the same) and I would say it pretty much fits what you are asking for.
a) You are responsible for your own dinner (seminary doesn't serve) and breakfast. You are also responsible for your own davening in the morning (no set group davening). There are hardly any official rules, including no uniforms, and I truly felt like I was treated as an adult. There are expectations on how a girl should be acting, but they do not have clear written rules.
b) There are a variety of teachers with varying hashkafas who are more than happy to discuss anything, even "controversial" topics. They do not push one specific lifestyle on the girls, instead they expose you to several lifestyles ranging from very modern orthodox to hardcore kollel and just bring out the beauty of Torah. Every girl falls in love with a Torah lifestyle in her own way, based on exposure.
c) It's funny, because Michlalah is known to be very academic. This is not entirely true. You have to be academic to get in, but once you are there, it is not academic at all. There are hardly any tests (just a few halacha and chumash tests at the end of the semesters), and there is only one major report. My friends in more "yeshivish" BY seminaries were constantly slaving away doing busy work and reports and studying for tests. There is a lot of class, but not a lot of busy work.
d) There is no uniform, just a dress code
e) Everyone I was with came from varying backgrounds, but everyone was very solid and growth-oriented. Everyone wanted to learn and grow.
Michlalah is technically not a BY seminary (they allow smartphones and do not have uniform- 2 main criteria for BY seminaries), but they are definitely way drummer than your typical non-BY seminary. Hope this helped!

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:39 pm
Maybe Machon Raaya? You'd have to ask someone who went there.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 4:40 pm
Darchei Binah
Maybe maor?

amother
Clover

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 5:27 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
No such thing in a BY seminary.

This. At least not in a mainstream BY seminary.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 6:12 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Maybe Machon Raaya? You'd have to ask someone who went there.

Don't think its a place where teachers discuss alternative lifestyles

amother
Stone

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 7:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
What seminaries are out there that:
a) don't treat the girls like little kids with ridiculous rules and requirements?
b) are open to and discuss topics of emunah, bitachon, maybe even some contraversial stuff (LGBTQ, kollel vs not)?
Look at these issues from a objective lens; discuss these non black and white issues and give the girls knowledge and tools to draw their own conclusions?
c) doesn't give the girls busy work?
d) are more open minded, don't insist everyone look the same with button down collars and pleated skirts? Are okay with girls who wear tznius and tasteful clothes?

E) most important: have a really solid group of girls? I am finding it is hard to meet the 1st 4 criteria AND the last one.

I would prefer a BY seminary, if such a thing exists.

Bnos Binah fits exactly every single thing you're describing!

It would be a PERFECT fit for what you're looking for

Cressel

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 7:32 pm
I second what stone said!

Bnos Binah is special. It is a BY seminary as a place for very smart intellectual deep thinkers. It was created because that type of deep hashkafah was only available in Baal Teshuvah seminaries, so they created it as something for BY type girls.

They discuss a lot topics that most sems might only touch on as much. The teachers say they are open to any type of challenging questions the girls may ask them.

They don't have any rigid rules and treat the girls like adults. There is also no uniform. Very open minded but still bais Yaakov. They don't believe that everyone has to "fit into a tight box" They accept a variety of girls as long as they want to grow.

They don't do academics. No tests or assignments. Purely learning L'shma

amother
Clover

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 8:18 pm
I thought the OP was asking about Israel, but yes, Bnos Binah is great if want to be in Brooklyn.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 28 2023, 10:24 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I thought the OP was asking about Israel, but yes, Bnos Binah is great if want to be in Brooklyn.

I was looking for Israel, but if a great place exists in America, we will definitely consider it.

amother
Stone

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was looking for Israel, but if a great place exists in America, we will definitely consider it.

Bnos Binah has a good dorm. Its apartments not far from the seminary. If you don't live in Brooklyn, she can be in the dorm with the other girls and go home for shabbosim.

Cressel

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 11:28 pm
amother OP wrote:

You really should consider Bnos Binah, it is exactly what you're looking for Smile

amother
Stone

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 11:44 pm
I second that,

I know 4 girls who went to Bnos Binah. They definitely don't treat girls like young kids. They even encourage them to be independent and allow girls to work a job or do a college program after class hours.

They do discuss a lot of controversial topics. The teachers there are very into delving into issues that most places avoid addressing because they believe it is necessary for girls to be allowed to ask any and all questions.

They give NO busy work. They don't do any textual learning either. There are also no tests or assignments either. Its for girls who are interested in growing and learning for the sake of learning L'shma

They are pretty open minded, I don't think there is even a uniform there. They take a variety of girls. It is a BY seminary but it isn't so "in the box"

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:01 am
Bnos Avigail?

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:16 pm
Also, bnos binah allows girls to bring devices with internet into he dorm....are you comfortable with that?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:41 pm
I appreciate all the Bnos Binah information, but I think we will need to do Israel.

Cressel

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 12:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I appreciate all the Bnos Binah information, but I think we will need to do Israel.

So then I think Michala, Meohr, or Darchei Bina would be the perfect options for her in Israel.

Or Machon Raaya.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info