Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Which spelling for Miriam?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 7:51 pm
I went through the same with spelling of my baby’s name name - menachem. It’s not spelled as it’s pronounced. I was going to change it. But decided I didn’t want burden him with a lifelong job of correcting everyone. So I just left the spelling as everyone does. I agree with posters above - Miriam is standard, just go with it and don’t put a burden on your child. Btw Miriam is a beautiful name ! Much nachas !

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 8:18 pm
I’d spell it Miriam.

Before throwing all this shade on it, though, please recognize that the spelling Miryam would be the correct pronunciation as per the name מרים in the Torah, based on the letters and nekudos. There’s nothing ‘not normal’ or ‘weird’ about considering spelling a name as it sounds.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 8:26 pm
To me, they are two different pronunciations.
Miri-um vs. Mir-yam (like yam suf)

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 8:27 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I went through the same with spelling of my baby’s name name - menachem. It’s not spelled as it’s pronounced. I was going to change it. But decided I didn’t want burden him with a lifelong job of correcting everyone. So I just left the spelling as everyone does. I agree with posters above - Miriam is standard, just go with it and don’t put a burden on your child. Btw Miriam is a beautiful name ! Much nachas !

How else would you spell it? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it any other way.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 8:30 pm
My mom has a name with a y that is typically spelled with an I.
She says while it's nice feeling unique it's really frustrating when everyone always mispells it!
I think go with the I.

bzmother

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 8:50 pm
Miriam
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names