Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Working women - live in Lkwd, work in Brooklyn?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 12:50 pm
Are there any working women in Lakewood who work in Brooklyn?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 12:58 pm
Why would anyone do that? Lakewood salaries are much higher than Brooklyn at this point. And the daily commute is brutal.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 1:00 pm
How far is the drive from Lakewood to Brooklyn?

amother
Bluebell

The daily commute back and forth would be enough to knock me out....

amother
Cadetblue

amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Why would anyone do that? Lakewood salaries are much higher than Brooklyn at this point. And the daily commute is brutal.

Not for teachers or rebbeim- Brooklyn salaries are higher and have better benefits.

My uncle is a Rebbi and does the commute - and it is brutal - he leaves really early so he can daven shachris there to avoid the rush hour traffic.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 1:02 pm
My colleague does, remotely.

She was coming once a week but it wasn't making sense, travelling on work hours etc.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 1:09 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
How far is the drive from Lakewood to Brooklyn?

1.5 hours minimum without traffic

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 1:12 pm
I did this twice a week for 3 years. I carpooled with a few other women who did it 3-4 times a week for many more years. Hard but could be done.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 1:17 pm
You can live in Brooklyn and work in Brooklyn. (There are lots of advantages to living in Brooklyn Smile

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 1:18 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
1.5 hours minimum without traffic

It takes an hour and 5 minutes from Boro Park/Williamsburg without traffic. With traffic is at leasy 1.5, maybe even 2 hours.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 10:19 pm
Asking because while we're happy in Lakewood I got an astounding job offer in Brooklyn. And we are so happy with our schools and happy living here, that I don't want to uproot to take it, but it would be a HUGE difference for us... Can afford to pay back debts and start saving for the future.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 10:27 pm
Many ppl do it/used to do it

I’m not sure how popular it is today but eleven years ago when I got married it was very common

I did it for the first month after my wedding and found it very draining (then moved out of lkwd as planned).

I have a friend who works in Staten Island because special Ed pays so much more in nyc

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 10:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Asking because while we're happy in Lakewood I got an astounding job offer in Brooklyn. And we are so happy with our schools and happy living here, that I don't want to uproot to take it, but it would be a HUGE difference for us... Can afford to pay back debts and start saving for the future.

This is something to discuss with daas torah. Not as a shailah, as an eitzah.
Dh and I had a disagreement about where to look to buy a house. We discussed it with daas torah and were told it's brought down somewhere (don't remember the source) that you move where the wife wants to live EXCEPT if you're moving for parnassah.
It's not a decision to make lightly and I definitely recommend discussing it with daas torah that understands your lifestyle and values

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 10:35 pm
I do the travel, but not every day of the week. I don't driving so for me that doesn't knock me out. When I was pregnant though driving wast as easy
You need to know yourself though.

Also, you need to figure it takes about 2 hours each way. Tolls, gas, and car really add up as well. Figure about $50 a day for gas and tolls. Then you need a really reliable car for the commute

Any specific questions you had about this?

Leahh

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 11:15 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
I do the travel, but not every day of the week. I don't driving so for me that doesn't knock me out. When I was pregnant though driving wast as easy
You need to know yourself though.

Also, you need to figure it takes about 2 hours each way. Tolls, gas, and car really add up as well. Figure about $50 a day for gas and tolls. Then you need a really reliable car for the commute

Any specific questions you had about this?

The expense is real.
I traveled from Brooklyn to Lakewood at my companies expense. My reimbursement was $116 per trip. That's for tolls and mileage calculated at IRS rate at the time. I think it was about .58/mile. It is higher now
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries