Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
I only have access to imamother nothing else.
Previous  1  2  3  4

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:00 am
amother Ebony wrote:
I almost feel we should we a designated section, sort of like, ‘google for me’ (a safe haven?) Where the request for research is clear and understood by all respondents and only those who have the time or wherewithal to search will respond

This is not a bad idea... I will bring to Yael's attention

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:06 am
singleagain wrote:
This is a very good point and one reason why I really dislike the forced to give up internet for schools and stuff and think that the explicit banning is just horrible practice in general.

I agree. And I also think about a women who once posted here that her husband was forcing her to give up her highly filtered smartphone. You just never know what brings someone here to ask a question, no matter how weird I or you think it is to ask here.

amother
Ebony

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:08 am
singleagain wrote:
This is not a bad idea... I will bring to Yael's attention

Yay!! That’s so cool. Thank you!!!

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:11 am
I think not having the ability to conduct a google search illustrates why creating a Maginot Line against all aspects of technology is crippling.

It is like banning the printing press because of what it could be used for or banning autos because of what they could be used for - I am using these examples deliberately because in their time there were conservative elements in society that preached against them because of their danger to society

The use of the internet in a safe way should be taught. It is no different than my learning how to use the Dewey Decimal System in elementary school as a tool to do research.

People should also be taught how to evaluate the veracity of any information they acquire. I was also taught this skill back in the days before the internet in terms of evaluating source materials, bias etc.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Highstrung

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:23 am
amother Slategray wrote:
What's wrong with it is that it smacks of asking someone to do your homework for you. They have to search, then go through and select the sites to send you. That takes time and effort.

I have no issue doing that for someone as a chesed. The same way a neighbor could ask you for someone’s phone # instead of them searching through the phone book. Many people are eager and willing to help others out, myself included. It’s an easy way for me to help others. If it’s a task you find difficult nobody is asking you or forcing you to do it. Move onto the next thread .

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:29 am
Amarante wrote:
I think not having the ability to connect a google search illustrates why creating a Maginot Line against all aspects of technology is crippling.

It is like banning the printing press because of what it could be used for or banning autos because of what they could be used for - I am using these examples deliberately because in their time there were conservative elements in society that preached against them because of their danger to society

The use of the internet in a safe way should be taught. It is no different than my learning how to use the Dewey Decimal System in elementary school as a tool to do research.

People should also be taught how to evaluate the veracity of any information they acquire. I was also taught this skill back in the days before the internet in terms of evaluating source materials, bias etc.

Couldn't agree with this more! The Ottoman Empire, did, in fact, ban the printing press when it was first invented, for religious reasons.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:43 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Couldn't agree with this more! The Ottoman Empire, did, in fact, ban the printing press when it was first invented, for religious reasons.

And the Catholic Church also attempted to ban the distribution of books because they were viewed as dangerous and spreading heresy.

In the Catholic Church people were only supposed to communicate with G8od through the intercession of the priesthood. Letting people read the Bible was dangerous potentially because they then could have their own interpretation

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:06 pm
Sometimes the question is more like is there a chabad house somewhere? Or what activities can I do in a certain place. You dont have to google it but if you went there why not share advice?

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sometimes the question is more like is there a chabad house somewhere? Or what activities can I do in a certain place. You dont have to google it but if you went there why not share advice?

For those type of things, maybe try searching the forum first because it's been talked about so much.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:22 pm
amother OP wrote:

People generally don't respond with 'google that' for such requests. Its reserved for questions that have easy answers on google, or are unique to personal preferences. Or where the are multiple angles to digest for the particular subject.

amother
Snowflake

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:40 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
What's wrong with it is that it smacks of asking someone to do your homework for you. They have to search, then go through and select the sites to send you. That takes time and effort.

If you don't wanna do it, no one is requiring to.

The poster would be asking people who are interested in helping.

If you don't wanna help then don't. But don't allow the people who need help not to get it when there are people who are willing to help.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:46 pm
I havent read the whole thread but I dont understand this at all.

I wouldnt ask a google question on here because I cant ask google myself.

I only ask here what I want to know from peoples opinions or reviews.

If I didnt have google and needed something I would.not ask on here!
I would ask a family member or relative or go to the library.

Google maps is also really useful.

I dont see anywhere here people using this site as google.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Jun 10 2023, 6:23 pm
some questions that may seem inappropriate for a frum site may actually be the reason for the question - an attempt to get much-needed info without venturing into unsavory territory on the internet.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics