Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If you inherited a very expensive thing...
Previous  1  2  3

anotherone

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Asking for tachlis, not speculation, as I will be in this position.

If you inherit something very expensive (such as a rolex or cartier watch worth between $5k-10k but not more than that, I know these watches vary greatly in price), it's super old, like at least 30 years old. You are on financial assistance. You drive clunker cars. You have not been on vacation in 20 years, literally. This is the ONLY piece of luxury you will ever own, aside from owning a very modest home and have a mortgage. The rest of your jewelry is very minimal, not anything close to the kallah jewelry people get.

Would you wear it and enjoy it, since it was left to you by your parent?
Would you sell it and pay off a bill, go on a vacation, or pay a year of tuition?
Would you wear it and feel weird about it, perhaps take it off before attending a school function?
it depends if you consider it luxury and if you derive pleasure from it. I worked in a watch store, and I personally don't believe in the value of brand names. I would be upset to inherit something that I don't find valuable, for me it would be useless.

However, you are allowed to be given expensive gifts from your parents, and even though it's tempting to cover the debt, I would allow myself to have something fancy (and also sentimental). The question here is to think what would the person want, the one who left it. Would they want me to live in a modest house and wear super expensive watch? Would the want me to buy nice kalah jewelry? Did they leave it for me as reminder of themselves? Depends on relationship with the deceased.

First thing I would,before all this, is try to estimate the real value of the item, because maybe it's not worth as much as you think it is (or maybe it's worth much more as collectible piece). Then ,when you know the actual market value, you can decide. If you can't sell it for more than $1000, maybe it's not so expensive as it sounds. Maybe you can sell it for $10k.

Last edited by anotherone on Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:37 pm
We are in a smilar position op and I don't even like the watch. I'm thinking to sell and get a nice (but more modest) piece of jewelry (will be the only splurge jewelry since my wedding over 20 yrs ago) that is "from my parents" and used the rest for a one off special vacation.

dilego

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 1:53 pm
I personally think that one the pple at a schoolfunction can see a. Its a.mens watch so they should thinkthat its a present or so.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 2:27 pm
There are many men, even wealthy ones, who are wearing fake Rolex watches. If you are otherwise in a lower income bracket assume people will think it’s fake.

Does that bother you or do you want to wear it because of the way it makes you feel?

I

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:58 am
Didn't read the whole thread - but if I saw you wearing the newer Cartier watch that you love I would probably assume that it is a fake

If it is a model that could pass as an old watch I would assume that is a gift or an inheritance, but for me the fact that many people will assume I am wearing a dupe, would push me to use the money for something else that is a luxury but wouldn't have that option.

Like, I would probably spend the money on a gorgeous Sheital that I could never afford or on a vacation that's out of budget, or on work in the house that I need.

Although the financially smart thing would be to use the money to purchase a cd with the high interest rates for as many years as you have until a wedding - but I would not have the dicsipline for that in all likeleyhood.

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:21 am
I would definitely keep it, even if I didn't actually wear it...but I'm very sentimental and just having it there would be meaningful to me....

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:35 am
I think the comments here where people will judge you for having a single nice item are strange, and even stranger that people would judge. For example, I am young-ish and have young kids. I have a lot of nice furniture from an expensive store. It's all things I accumulated over time, like I would save and buy one piece a year with money I made from working extra. Some of it is now 6 years old, but it is still in beautiful condition.

We just moved to a new community and live in a lower income neighborhood because the more kids we have, the less expendable income we have. I'm not buying nice new furniture anymore, but it doesn't change the fact that I already have it. People come over and compliment it. Yeah, they might assume I bought it all brand new when we moved. It's not true, but it's none of their business. I guess if they were super nosy and asked I would say the couch they are sitting on is 6 years old! What am I supposed to do, put it in the basement and buy a 200 used ripped up sofa so they don't judge me??
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics