Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Cost to reupholster a couch

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:23 pm
If I have a faux leather couch that’s peeling should I replace or reupholster?

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:14 pm
It is probably cheaper to buy a new sofa.

Upholstery is VERY expensive and is generally only done with a piece is unique and/or it was an extremely expensive well made piece of furniture when new.

I had some of my stuff reupholstered but I did it only because they were antique and had some beautiful wood that was visible as part of their style which could never be replicated so the cost of reupholstering was worth it because the chairs themselves were valuable. I would never have found chairs that were as nice for the cost of reupholstering them.

Given that the sofa was fake leather it is unlikely that it is a high quality item. Keep in mind that when you reupholster something, you generally only keep the original frame and everything else is new - I.e. not just the fabric but the springs, the stuffing plus the very skilled labor.

It would cost you much more to reupholster than to buy a sofa of similar quality.

Is this fake leather - I.e. plastic/vinyl or bonded leather?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:23 pm
You can either replace or you can buy a cover for the couch. It's not worth reupholstering ime.

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 3:10 pm
I am a designer.
In my opinion the only time it pays (financially) to reupholster, is if you have either a very expensive/special/matching piece of furniture which you're not ready to give up on.
Reupholstering is not a cheap option, especially if you want a quality or high performance fabric. Plus transport etc... it adds up. There are so many specials and promotions these days on couches. Good luck!

jflower

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 6:00 pm
Look on amazon for sofa covers. You'll be amazed at the selection. I haven't bought sofa covers but my friend bought chair covers for her dining room and they're beautiful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries