Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Freezable dairy food for bat mitzvah

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:22 am
So excited to be making my very first bat mitzvah! Going to be at my home for close family and friends. Mainly girls.

I want to do a dairy buffet. I need to make as much freezeable foods as possible. I have a bunch of tiny kids and I can’t rely on cooking anything the day of.

Aside from ziti/lasagna, what pasta can I freeze?
What else can I freeze that belongs at a dairy buffet?

schoolbus

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:23 am
Stuffed shells

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:25 am
Pancakes and waffles! I did this by dd’s bas mitzvah. Had ice cream and whipped cream to go with it and put different sauces in squeeze bottles like caramel, strawberry, chocolate and regular pancake syrup. Was a huge hit.
I also made and froze small rolls, onion rolls and garlic knots all from my regular challah dough.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:27 am
amother Viola wrote:
Pancakes and waffles! I did this by dd’s bas mitzvah. Had ice cream and whipped cream to go with it and put different sauces in squeeze bottles like caramel, strawberry, chocolate and regular pancake syrup. Was a huge hit.
I also made and froze small rolls, onion rolls and garlic knots all from my regular challah dough.

I love this idea! Also making a bas mitzva soon.

Dairy quiches can be frozen and reheated.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:28 am
spinach and feta pie https://toriavey.com/easy-spanakopita/

s1

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:31 am
Mini Quiche
Mini pizza
Desserts like cheesecake

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:31 am
Pizzas
. Parbake the crusts, spread sauce, cheese, toppings, and freeze them that way.
Blintzes
Soups (onion soup, spinach soup, broccoli soup, cream of cauliflower,)
Waffles
Garlic knots

Ice Cream sandwiches

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:22 pm
I would love do soups but it’s in the mid of August. Way to hot for soup (even though we’ll be in AC

Pancakes and waffles freeze well?

Shells is a great idea. What about a different pasta like fettechini Alfredo- is there any way to freeze that completely ahead of time?

I’m having about 35 people, prob 20 of them are my nieces and close friends of my daughter. The rest are adults (my sisters/in laws and grandmothers, close friends of mine etc… ). How many pastas do I need if I’m also have quiche and fish?

rachel6543

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:28 pm
Yes pancakes & waffles freeze well! I usually make huge batches of pancakes & freeze extras for quick meals.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:33 pm
I think you can't freeze a heavy cream sauce. So not fettucine. Also when you reheat even fresh it separates - so don't dress the pasta until serving

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I would love do soups but it’s in the mid of August. Way to hot for soup (even though we’ll be in AC

Shells is a great idea. What about a different pasta like fettechini Alfredo- is there any way to freeze that completely ahead of time?

I’m having about 35 people, prob 20 of them are my nieces and close friends of my daughter. The rest are adults (my sisters/in laws and grandmothers, close friends of mine etc… ). How many pastas do I need if I’m also have quiche and fish?

Yes they freeze well. I kept it warm in stereos and they were polished off. I borrowed a waffle iron and ended up buying my own after the bas mitzvah because it was so yummy!
I wouldn’t freeze fettuccini I would stick to baked ziti and lasagna or Mac n cheese. Yes they’re similar but they actually freeze well. The creamy ones do not.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

cold fruit soup?

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:53 pm
Gazpacho is delicious. Its cucumbers, tomato, bell peppers and the longer it sits the better it tastes.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:53 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Gazpacho is delicious. Its cucumbers, tomato, bell peppers and the longer it sits the better it tastes.

Delicious, yes, but please don't freeze it!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 3:07 pm
How do I know how much to make for 30-35 people? Is there some kind of calculation to follow?

Like how many ppl typically eat a 9x13 ziti?

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 5:45 am
Estimating depends on what else you are serving and whether for adults or kids. I would do at least (5) 9x13 pans of pasta for that size group. If you're serving quiche, 5 should do it. You can probably get 8 small servings and 6 medium servings per pan. People often take a second helping and sometimes women eat more at an all women's event. You'll get 8 small slices of quiche per pan. If you are serving salmon (which is more of an adult food), I'd serve 5 lbs for that size group with the other foods. I'd also serve at least three very large salads. (Or have two kinds and refresh the bowl). Not sure if you're doing appetizers, but you could also make cold soup shooters in cups and set them out on trays. You could make platters of bourekas that can be purchased frozen at the supermarket. For a nice appetizer, create a Mediterranean platter placing chumus and Israeli salad in bowls in the middle of a large serving piece ringed by bourekas. Desserts generally require a smaller quantity unless the other food is light. If you're doing cupcakes and cookie platters, I'd make sure there is a cupcake for every child and then 50% of the adults. Two large platters of cookies should do it. Are you putting out any candy for the girls? You could do a basket of pre-filled organza bags in a color that your daughter likes and tie ribbons to match on the basket. Amazing savings generally has those bags and you can pre-order candy in many colors from Oh Nuts to fill the bags. You could also put out an ice cream bar with large tubs and toppings to make your own (if you're having any serving help--family or paid accommodator) you could have them scoop for the guests to keep it tidier. Fruit salad can also be pre-portioned in cups set out on trays. In general, I would not recommend whole cakes, except maybe a small occasion cake for your daughter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics