Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation Dilemma

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 4:02 pm
We stay home for the summer as dh and I both work and the kids are in day camp. We customarily plan some sort of road trip for the end of the summer, after camp is over, usually a week or so to provide some family r & r together with the kids. We have done Niagra, Lancaster, PA, we did Washington, DC one year, last year we splurged and took the kids to FL to Disney. However, this year money is VERY VERY TIGHT. Nevertheless, I do not want to completely forego the vacation experience in its entirety, because I don't think that is great for mental health for us, or for the kids. I was thinking of trying to take something like three days(or 4), two nights, midweek and to try to do something fun but relatively inexpensive where we can get to by car. We are a family of six, kids ranging from 4-14, both boys and girls. We live in Brooklyn.

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 4:24 pm
How about Mystic, Connecticut?

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 4:43 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
What is there to do there (besides mystic seaport where I went as a kid)?

fleetwood

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 4:56 pm
If u dont mind the drive, how about Boston? There's tons to do.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 5:07 pm
tovasmom wrote:
Rutabaga wrote:
What is there to do there (besides mystic seaport where I went as a kid)?

I also went as a kid, so I don't remember details. Here are some useful sites:

http://www.mystic.org/

http://www.ctvisit.com/

http://www.visitconnecticut.com/

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 6:15 pm
maybe you can house swap with someone on imamother!

Helani

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 8:43 pm
fleetwood wrote:
If u dont mind the drive, how about Boston? There's tons to do.

I also think it could be a great idea. If you drive at the right time, you can make it in about 3.5 hours. There is tons of things to do with the kids, especially if you go beyond boston itself. Also couple of places to eat and store, so you don't have to shlep as much along. If you're interested, PM me and I can give you some ideas of things to do around here.

R.

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 8:51 pm
I dont know if this will be helpful, but as a child (and once after I got married) we went to Lake Placid resort area. There is so much to do in that area. I am sure you can find the place on the internet. the area includes Mirror Lake and Lake Placid. It is beautiful and also has fun options. Good Luck.

R.

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 8:51 pm
I forgot to mention that it is in upstate New York.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:26 pm
go camping ... fun rustic ... family ... frogs ... and marshmallows roasting on a campfire ... and very inexpensive ...

sbs

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:43 pm
boston can turn out very expensive, as hotels and parking are almost on the level of manhattan, and eating out in restaurants is certainly costly.
we went to newport, ri, you should be able to get a hotel for about $100 a night, and there's lots of free stuff to do , like cliffwalk, walking by the shops at the water, or for some money you could see the mansions and take a boat ride.

agh

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:37 pm
pocono mountain. thee are some family resorts with activities. they have deals now and then- especially last minute.

d

babygirl

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 9:54 am
How about baltimore? I went with my husband it was great! you can go to the inner harbor...there is a glass aquariam...its really cool...there is pattle boating there also and an espn zone which is kinda expensive...there is also the baltimore zoo....I only say baltimore because with the gas prices driving far is also a consideration:) have fun!

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 10:00 am
Check out Eastern PA. It's not so far, there is kosher food in the supermarkets and you can get by pretty inexpensively. Get a AAA book. There are great caves you can go to etc. AAA or the internet can give you more info.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 11:09 am
Deleware Water Gap/Bushkill Falls Area is very nice. (Although we did not like Bushkill falls - it was too comercialized). There are also caves in the area (like what Tamari said). We went last year the same time as the AllenTown fair and spent a day in Allentown and had a great time.

Conneticut - Norwalk is closer to NY then Mystic and there is an aquarium there. We also took a boat ride there to an island with a lighthouse. There are a few such boat rides in the area. There are beaches in the area that you can go to in the early morning or evenings and some nice parks for picnic suppers (a lot of the parks are built off the beaches). One day we took a steam train ride. Halfway through you get off and Hike (very short) to a ferry that takes you to Gillette castle. It is a park with a cool castle in the middle. Then you take the same ferry and train back to the station. You just have to schedule to make the trains. You can pack lunch along to eat there. There is also a small ferry you can go on with your car in the area. You can also go from there to Mystic which I have heard is nice.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 11:19 am
greenfire wrote:
go camping ... fun rustic ... family ... frogs ... and marshmallows roasting on a campfire ... and very inexpensive ...

I was going to suggest camping as well.

My family used to go camping in the summer. I have fond memories of it. Dh's family always took "city trips," so different.

tovasmom

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 12:00 pm
catonmylap wrote:
greenfire wrote:

I was going to suggest camping as well.

My family used to go camping in the summer. I have fond memories of it. Dh's family always took "city trips," so different.
Problem is, I am not camping material and neither is my oldest dd. DH was a boyscout, and would love it, but we have to find something to do that everyone can at least tolerate, for now -- I understand that not everyone will be thrilled, specifically if everything is done on a shoestring budget. I appreciate all of the ideas, and mindful of the price of gas, we are looking into some things in upstate NY -- higher than the catskills -- howe cavern, fishing, maybe cooperstown. I am shlepping food in 2 coolers and a small bbq grill. Whether we go or not will depend if I can find a motel within the budget -- I need everything, including gas, motel, admissions, food to be not more than $1,000 for the 6 of us. Wish me luck!

challi

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 11:51 am
Why not take a siteseeing tour around N>Y> city like touritsts who come to the area do. A lot of times people live somewhere and vever get to see all the sights the touritst wyho vcome to visit their area do. That way you can keep costs down, maybe stay at a hotel one night and do some sight seeing, just pretend you are on vacation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics