Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Non-jewish co-worker , non-jewish company, non-kosher place

amother

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 8:08 pm
I work at non-Jewish company and the women here decided to celebrate one of our co-worker's birthday at the non-kosher restaurant. We are supposed to go out for lunch. How do I handle it ? I never had a situation like this before, we always had a potluck where I just ate fruits or my own food.
Can I go and not eat anything? Or it's not permitted, then how do I politely decline?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

imaamy

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 8:49 pm
I would certainly say you can decline. Is there a Kosher place you can go to that is appropriate for the others? It is rude of them to pick a place IF they know you can't go.

Milk Munch

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 8:52 pm
Don't make a big deal out of it. They weren't trying to be rude, they just are unaware. Simply tell them you can't join because you keep kosher. They will respect you for it.-

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 9:04 pm
imaamy wrote:
I would certainly say you can decline. Is there a Kosher place you can go to that is appropriate for the others? It is rude of them to pick a place IF they know you can't go.

I don't think it is rude if the party is for a co-worker. Working in a non-Jewish co., with non-Jews you can't expect them to go out to a kosher restaurant everytime someone has a birthday!

Mandy

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 10:39 pm
Can you ask them if you can all go to the kosher place, if there is one, instead ?

Last edited by Mandy on Thu, Nov 03 2005, 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

imaamy

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 10:40 pm
I didn't mean that but I didn't know if they knew about kashrut. Lots of people don't understands the details at all. So if they knew she couldn't go and invited her anyway...or if they didn't know that is different. I'd certainly say no problem to pass on the invite and no, they can't go kosher every time, but if it is an option, maybe a good one when fruit and her own food won't suffice?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 10:54 pm
been in the same sitch all my working life. never bothered me b/c I am stingy and don't like spending $ in restaurants LOL . I always smile regretfully and say "Sorry I can't but I only eat in kosher restaurants" totally safe b/c there are none near my work.

O'course I also can't partake when the company orders in for a special occasion. shver tzu zayn a yid.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 11:57 pm
Original amother here.

They don't know that I can eat only in kosher restaurant and there are none nearby.

Last amother, thank you for your post, I will do just that.

Rivka

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 7:33 pm
My co-workers have a x-mas night out I never attend because I can't. Now I work in a Jewish place, but some Jewish workers go with them, I am one of the only ones who won't go.
They respect that and no one feels hurt. I think you should just tell them that you can't because you eat only Kosher.

chen

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 1:59 pm
It's almost always better to come straight out in the beginning and say you can't do this or that because your religious practice forbids it. Excuses (I'm vegetarian, I'm allergic, I have a previous commitment) have a way of backfiring sooner or later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics