Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sleepaway camp

blueberrypie

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 3:24 pm
My 10 year old son is going to sleepaway camp for the first time (and my first time having a child go to sleepaway camp) . Does anyone have suggestions about any extras to send with him (I have the clothing list) like nosh, etc. Also, someone suggested putting a gift in his suitcase for him to find when he unpacks, but what is considered to be a "good" gift for boys in camp??!!! Thanks!

cookielady

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 4:58 pm
I would tuck notes in their shabbos shoes so they would find them getting ready for shabbos. Nosh is always good, my boys liked to take marshmallows for campfires. The more business minded of my sons would sell them at camp fires for 1 dollar a marshmallow. (supply and demand) not that I would encourage that per se.

Maybe a small game that would be good at rest time? My dd took Blink and Set to camp, we tried them out at home and they were fun.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 6:32 pm
buy him a real kool flash light ... a net of sorts to catch frogs or the such ... and promise him it is NOT kiddie jail ... What

cookielady

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 6:43 pm
Oh and my kids love taking the headlamp type of flashlight.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 6:54 pm
if you can send packages - try homemade chocolate chip cookies ... mmmmmmmmm Drunken Smile

send a letter to camp and ask how his trip was so when he gets there he has it ... Mr. Green

imamothertoo

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 7:07 pm
after my girls closed up their suitcases, I snuck a letter inside. while they were unpacking , they found the letter and were delighted. one year I faxed a letter the next morning so on the first morning of camp they were receiving mail.

pink car

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 7:23 pm
don't have any kids yet in camp but if the camp has a system, where you can send emails, he would really appreciate it.

my bro-in-law was in camp a few years ago, and we would send him an email every few days and he loved it!

imaamy

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 12:15 am
Make sure you check with the camp what nosh is allowed--if it is in the bunks often attracts bugs so they have rules on keeping it stored. Also don't send anything that would make him look like a Mama's boy. 10 is pretty concerned with image. Don't overpack because a lot of it will come back ruined, if at all. He will have a great time!

Tila

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 2:09 pm
I just sent my son books from amazon for his bday!! His camp is Nageela midwest and they have a service thro overthetop.com to send candy. We sent him with nosh. A clip on fan if the bunks are not airconditrioned. Those portable chairs that colapse into a stick. Last year my son went to Dora Golding and EVERY child went with one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children