Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Moroccan Fish "kmo shel Savta"

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:38 am
WHAT YOU NEED:

5-6 nice sized red peppers, cut into strips (see note)*
6-12 garlic cloves, whole
1 bunch of cilantro, medium sized
1 green hot pepper (the shriveled up kind, don't know the name)
3 Sudani peppers (tiny, red, dried peppers)
Salt
Osem chicken powder
Carcum/Tumeric
Paprika
Paprika Harifa and/or Cayenne Peper
Olive oil
Water
Fish

1. Pour olive oil in pan just to coat with a short layer, not too much, about 1/4 of an inch or so (???). Heat.
2. Saute the pepper strips, garlic cloves, green hot pepper and cilantro until soft. (What I like to do is first prep the peppers, then add them to the pot, then while they are cooking, I prep the garlic, then add.. then the cilantro. It cuts down on cooking/prep time, and anyways the peppers take the longest to get soft).
3. Once they become soft, add a bit of water, just enough to make the "boil" stop for a second but then return. Now add about 1 tbs of Osem, 1 tbs of carcum/tumeric, A LOT of paprika (till mixture is very red), paprika harifa/cayenne pepper to taste (be careful, cayenne is spicier than paprika harifa), salt to taste, and the Sudanis. You should break open at least 1 Sudani and let the seeds be distributed throughout the mix. The more you open up the hotter it becomes.
3. Gradually over time, add water - about 1.5 cups or so over time. Always return to boil.
4. Mix should be fragrant. When everything is melding together, place your fish pieces on top of the mix, spooning a little of it on top of the fish.
5. Let cook on low heat until fish is done. NEVER stir with a spoon - instead, pick up the pan (with oven mitts, please!) and shake from side to side (NOT up and down) slowly so as to mix well.

You can add any other veggies you want - chickpeas, carrots, celery, onions. This is how DH's Savta made it, so I stick to the original.. however every once and while I change it a bit Smile

*** NOTE ABOUT PEPPERS - some ppl argue about whether or not to keep on the skins. If you take off the skins you WILL lose most of the pepper's nutritional value, but it's your preference. You have 2 options when prepping the peppers:
1. Roast them in the oven - set oven to broil, rotate peppers every few minutes so as not to get too burnt. When done, stick in a brown paper bag for about 15 minutes. Then peel and cut into strips.
OR
2. The lazy, but still perfectly fine way - Just cut the fresh peppers into strips and thats it!

ENJOY!

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:45 am
Thanks for posting this!

What fish have you tried this with?

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:51 am
I use tillapia.. would be better if we had Israeli Mousht.. but none available in the States.

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 11:08 am
okay this is the recipe I'm looking for

what to serve on the side please ? rice ?

and how much salmon would that go for

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 3:01 pm
okay so it smells good ... hands are on fire

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Aug 15 2009, 7:28 pm
Just emailed this to my friend, I'm sure she'll make a huge batch the moment she reads this!

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 1:52 pm
round 2
now that I added tumeric I hope it taste more authentic - I also added chick peas this time ... sonny boy also brought me 2 varieties of garden hot peppers ... muy caliente Mr. Green Drunken Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 3:33 pm
to make it more authentic, you're missing the critical ingredient: pickled lemon!

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 3:55 pm
oy I'm not sure ... I prefer my lemon in a margarita ... but pickled ???

plus I'm not into fake things like chicken powder & dried peppers ...

otherwise LOVE this recipe [& so does my little kitty (^_^)~~~ ]

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:27 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
to make it more authentic, you're missing the critical ingredient: pickled lemon!

I just pickled lemon's, this past Dec. This is now on my recipes for next week!! (Sans the powdered chicken.)

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:29 pm
greenfire wrote:
okay this is the recipe I'm looking for

what to serve on the side please ? rice ?

and how much salmon would that go for

This sounds a bit like Mexican fish Veracruz. I'd go with a heavier fish, cod would hold up, bass, snapper.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:32 pm
well some of us don't like heavy fish ... salmon is perfect & quite frankly is the way authentic sepharadim make it Wink

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:35 pm
also I don't add water or salt ... but at the end I add the can of chickpeas with it's 'brine'

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:37 pm
greenfire wrote:
well some of us don't like heavy fish ... salmon is perfect & quite frankly is the way authentic sepharadim make it Wink

They use salmon? I have to get over my PNW disorder that keeps me from spicing up salmon. I have some good tuna in the freezer, what about that? (It's whats in the freezer along with salmon.)

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:42 pm
you can spice up salmon all across the globe ... I'm very very very picky with food & this is something worth the while [of course I cook it my own special way]

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:46 pm
greenfire wrote:
you can spice up salmon all across the globe ... I'm very very very picky with food & this is something worth the while [of course I cook it my own special way]

Well I'm going to break out the salmon, I have two lovely peppers that were gifted to me from a friends greenhouse and fresh turmeric . (Red and green Italian horns.) I'm thinking polenta on the side. I always have several kinds of dried hot peppers from the garden. I will report back at the end of the week.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:59 pm
just a note then ... there is NO tomato sauce/paste or even tomatoes ...

the juices are mostly made up of the variety of paprika, turmeric, etc. [for flare I add coriander & annatto] ... so you can go heavy on them as well as the fresh peppers sauteed in a good amount of olive oil [extra virgin Wink ]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics