Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Not wanting to share

raizy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:48 pm
my little son turned into a little tyrant this year he doesnt let the other kids play with his speical toys like a carriage and a certian doll and ball. he sees someone playing with it he will run over and hit bite . he doesnt really know how to hit but he is trying to do it.

what should I do. he has to share . it is hard bc I run a day care. and he was to share his toys. like he has 4 little chairs outside and he puts a dolly on each chair he doesnt like it when the kids take off the doll and sit on it. the chairs I insist he shares but really where do I draw the line. what is his and what does he have to share.? he is 16 months old . his playmates are 16 months and 12 months.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 10:04 am
I dont have any advice for you, but have the same problem with my 15 month old son, I had bought him a bucket of sidewalk chalk, so he could play with the neighbors, well, when they came over, he got so upset that they took a piece of chalk from him, he wouldnt even use any of the remaining chalk, in addition, he never likes to ride his own bike, and always tries to use the neighbor's, but if they try and use his bike watch out.

I dont think he understands the concpet of sharing yet, so it's very hard to try and help him out.

roza

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 11:24 am
they can't share at this age. I would just put away (hide) those toys that your son is very possessive about and give the children other toys. redirect younger children to other activities (toys).

check this thread: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....10f6b

amother

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 12:58 pm
Mandy, not signed in :
I read that the idea of taking turns is the easiest way to introduce sharing. And you can practice it with your baby even when no other kids are around. Now it is your turn to color. Now it is mommy's turn, etc.

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 1:16 pm
I agree with mandy. you could do it w/ the other kids, too. say, "now its so-and-so's turn for the chair, then it'll be your turn again" or maybe he doesn't like it when things are TAKEN from him, but he'd be willing to give. like say "oh, let's give the chair to so-and-so for a turn"

you asked where to draw the line. well, yes, all the toys are "his" but all the toys can be shared with others.

sometimes my 2 year old gets upset when my 6 month old gets his hand on one of her toys. I know my baby won't care if I take it away and give him s/t else, but just to show my 2 year old that she has to share, I say "well let's let the baby have a turn and when I count to ten it'll be your turn again."
and sometimes if she's playing w/ an another kid and they want the same toy- I'll use the same counting to 10 (or whatever #) technique.

chen

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 12:00 am
Before we had any other children come over, we told each child to select 1- 3 things that he did not have to share and that we would put away till the visitors left. The rest they would have to share. (Hey, there are some things of mine I put away before company comes, too!)

raizy

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 9:27 pm
I tried out a few of your suggestion and it is going much better. he doesnt seem to mind to give it just he does not want the other kid to have his toys. if he gives it then its o.k.

also he has one farm set that I dont take out when the other kids are here. its to frustrating for him . he likes to set up all the farm animals whereas the other kids just want to grab the animals or the farm itselve.

today one little girl actual grabbed the doll house from him and walked away with it. it was a site to be seen.. this huge doll house and this little kid. but my little boy wasnt to happy with her . I made her give it back..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics