Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pinworms

LisaS

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 12:23 am
Has anyone had kids with pinworms? I never heard of this before and was shocked to learn yesterday that my daughter has pinworms living in her stomach and reproducing on her private parts. I understand this is common and harmless but still bothers me. Has anyone else dealt with this?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 1:10 am
No but it's very common. The only major problem is how to treat YOU (or any woman) if you are pregnant or nursing. And a bigger problem is for one who goes from nursing right into pregnancy etc with no break in which to take medicine.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 8:39 am
Yes - one of my children had it. I was going crazy. I changed everyones linen - washed everything in hot water. There is a pill that the doc gave to him - and I requested it for everyone in the family since it's very contagious.

B"h we had no recurrence of it.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 8:53 am
Yup. I just found out that my 2 year old has it.
Also, his stool culture came out positive for parasites. I have to use 2 different medications.
Often, when a child has pinworms (in Hebrew they call them "tolaim") the child will wake up crying at night or clawing at his diaper because the area around the backside gets very itchy. that's because the worms come out at night. You can check by looking at the area and there is a good chance that you will see one or more tiny white worms slithering around. Pretty gross. They live in the intestine and come out at night.
Garlic is also a good way to get rid of these pinworms. Some people just take a small piece of garlic and insert it like a suppository. Kills them off.

I'm told that kids pick up pinworm from playing in sandboxes. if they put their hands in their mouths without washing them (which is pretty inevitable) they can catch pinworms.

Moral of the story: wash hands with soap ALOT.

maidale

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 9:00 am
YES! My 5 yr old daughter suffers from pinworms, and as amother mentioned, they come out in the evening or at night. She already knows when she has it, and comes to tell me, and yes, you see it slithering around by the backside. It's gross, but part of life.... It's contagious and sandboxes are a prime place to catch them.

greentiger

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 9:24 am
Garlic!!!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 9:28 am
I dont mean to sound ignorant, but you dont eat it, rather you insert it...? And then you take it out after x time I assume? How often do you need to do this?

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 9:42 am
You just insert it. That's it. The body takes care of the rest and whatever is left comes out naturally. It's food.

greentiger

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 9:43 am
Yes, you stick it up the backside. It's a bit painful but it should kill all the worms, and I don't think there is any need to remove it. It either gets absorbed in the body or it comes out on it's own.

Also make sure the kids always wash their hands well with soap!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 9:44 am
Do a search here. We have discussed this many times before.

We ended up using an anti-parasite on all of us.

ReallyRosie

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 10:05 am
Our five year old Israeli girl just got diagnosed with this too (ewww!) How contagious is this for the rest of the family? Is it like the kinim and I have to start boiling all the sheets? The garlic thing can really work?

This is soo grosss, I can't believe it.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 10:13 am
Does it work to swallow the garlic? How safe is it to insert... I mean nothing else is inserted other than a suppository.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 10:41 am
I think it works to eat alot of garlic too. It's just a bit difficult to get a small child to do that.... Also, going in from the bottom prevents them from "escaping" and causing itching in the tush.

Yes, it is very catchy. Alot of hand washing has to be done! I never boil sheets because of pinworms.

Ewww is right, but it's part of life in Israel, like dealing with lice on a daily basis...

greentiger

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 12:32 pm
Why is it specificly an Israel thing? I remeber getting worms a couple times growing up (in the states) and it wasn't too uncommon by friends either...

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 1:54 pm
Maybe it's not. I didn't know it was so prevalent in the States as well.
Lice is RAMPANT here, unlike the U.S. I think it's because they have a law here that you can't send a child home from school. I believe they do that in the U.S. and the child can't come back till the head is clean. Over here you clean your kid's head and the next day they pick up new lice from their friends in school. It's a losing battle. You literally have to comb each kid every day if you want clean heads.

Pinworms - I guess it's not an Israeli thing...

maidale

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 2:56 pm
I think pinworms are more common in Israel because you got sandboxes EVERYWHERE over there, whereas in the US not so many parks have sandboxes, I think because of hygienic reasons.
As for the garlic, don't take a very big one, and coat it in vaseline or KY jelly that way it slides right in. No biggie, and whatever needs to come out, comes out in the stool.

mammala120

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 6:53 pm
pinworms are gross and do exist in many people the best way to deal with them( even after taking meds) is to prevent them. what I have learned in my childhood experiences with pinworms is as follows:

1.drink lots and lots of water so the worms end up swimming in large intestines and come out with stool.

2.use dry basil to sprinkle foods like soups or any other food---basil gets rid of worms.

3. eat pumpkin seeds/pumpkin itself is also helpfull.

4.reduse intake of sweets, it gives worms energy (especially chocolate).

5 wash wash wash those hands

6.disinfect the apartment as often as possible (use vinegar).

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 9:40 am
my dd has pinworms for third time this winter. I am going nuts. Each time we have all taken vermox, twice as directed. I have taken all normal precautions - like changing underwear pajamas all the time, washing all sheets once a week, disinfecting toilet seat after each use. Does anyone know of any natural foods that would prevent this? Foods that I can feed a 1 and 3 year old?? Please help..

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 2:25 pm
we have the same problem, but my doctor thinks it's all the same infection...just not being completely erradicated. I am thinking that I am going to give the vermox not only in 12 days, but also a month after that. In addition, I am getting a homeopathic remedy to give my girls also. Every 3 months on cue we come down with it again...now, I am convinced its the same infection.

It's crazy!!! I hate it! I too feel like I am going insane! We also inserted garlic for a few nights after giving the vermox...I will again do the garlic in another week or so.

I was told by the naturopath to limit sugar and white flour from their diets, but that's what Vermox does. Also, I just read online that when giving Vermox you should give it with high fat foods...oh! we don't eat such fatty diets. Good to know for teh future!

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 4:40 pm
garlic is an old time cure give the child to eat itr in anny form my mother gave it to my 5-6 yr old nephew rubbed onto toast he dared ask for more cus it was really helping him
good luck hope you get rid of it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics