Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Chicken and Spaghetti

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 9:06 pm
A couple of years ago, we were guests of a Syrian family and were served a dish consisting of chicken and a very thick spaghetti in a reddish sauce (but not plain tomato). DD has been talking about it since. Does anyone (a) know the particular name of this dish, and (b) have a recipe.

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:52 am
I make this dinner a lot, or sometimes I substitute chicken for another meat, DH loves it, its like comfort food for us. dont know a particular name for it though, and no specific recipe. try experimenting with spices like allspice, coriander, aleppo pepper (or cayenne pepper), and paprika. something like this is just a regular dinner (if im understanding correctly what you were served). you were by their house during the week right?

sorry I cant be more helpful!

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:54 pm
tovasmom it finally occurred to me what youre talking about. I make it for dinner all the time DH LOVES it! its with crispy spaghetti right? from your description I thought you were talking about something stam but now I realize!!!

its technically called "Djaj (chicken) w Rishta".

What you need is - a whole chicken (or you can use whateve ryou chicken you want but traditionally its done with a whole chicken)
veg oil
3 garlic cloves chopped
paprika
salt
1 onion chopped
1 lb spaghetti
allspice
cinnamon
6-oz can tomato paste

What I do is I first season the chicken with the oil, garlic, paprika and a bit of salt. Then pour about a cup of water in the roaster and add the onions. Cover and roast for about an hour.

Take out of oven, remove chicken from roaster and let cool. If using a while chicken the you can either cut it or just leave whole. Your preference. Make sure to leave all the juices in the roaster. This will be used for the pasta later.

While chicken is cooling, boil the spaghetti but only cook it until it is HARDER THAN AL DENTE. So really do NOT cook it all the way. Plus make sure you are using a full pound of pasta, I made the mistake of using one BOX which was only half a lb.

Then, add your allspice, cinnamon, and about a tbs of salt to the juices in the roaster. Add tom paste and mix well. then combine with the spaghetti. Place chicken on top or tuck in between the pasta. Cover and bake for about 2 hours or so until chicken is extremely tender and pasta is crispy.

ENJOY! this is one of our favs! Smile

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 5:03 pm
Awesome, hotmama, Thanks!

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 5:37 pm
Enjoy and let me know how it comes out! You are really gonna love it. The chicken comes out amazing.. yea it takes 3+ hours to make but its well worth it. I gave this as a meal to a pregnant friend last week and she was crazy about it! YUMMM

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 6:28 pm
This sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

SZ mother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 8:46 pm
I am very curious about the outcome of this recipe!
Please post comments.

msym

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 8:55 pm
hotmama- this sound yum I love sphardi food! could you specifiy a little more how much allspice cinnamon to put on- those are ingredients im a little "scared" of cuz I dont ussually cook with it and my hubby dear is not as adventurous as I.... Confused

tovasmom

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 10:45 pm
So I made it and it came out pretty good taste wise and the spaghetti was as I remembered. But I cooked it for the 3 hours as suggested and I do not think it was long enough because the chicken was not coming off the bone completely, only partially. What did I do wrong, hotmama? Must not have mattered because there was very little left over! Very Happy

rachel19977

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 3:13 pm
Good post

My MIL makes this and taught me this, but it was with chicken peices.

Good idea to make it for Shabbat, the spagetti is EXCELLENT, and it's great for kids, and leftovers!

My version of the recipe is to fry the chicken and more garlic.

If you would like the recipe let me know I'll pull it out and type it up.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 3:17 pm
rachel19977 wrote:
Good post

Good idea to make it for Shabbat, the spagetti is EXCELLENT, and it's great for kids, and leftovers!

yes, please

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 4:31 pm
The leftovers are all gone! Very Happy

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 6:37 pm
rachel19977 wrote:
Good post

I made it last night with chicken breast pieces. it doesnt matter what type of chicken!

and please dont make it on shabbat! it is very taboo by us to make this on shabbat... dont know why.. I guess because spaghetti is not considered for shabbat? LOL its a silly superstition though so make it whenever - its YUM!

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 6:39 pm
tovasmom wrote:
So I made it and it came out pretty good taste wise and the spaghetti was as I remembered. But I cooked it for the 3 hours as suggested and I do not think it was long enough because the chicken was not coming off the bone completely, only partially. What did I do wrong, hotmama? Must not have mattered because there was very little left over! Very Happy

mine never came off by itself, I always cut it off the bone! you didnt do anything wrong! so glad you enjoyed.

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 6:41 pm
msym wrote:
hotmama- this sound yum I love sphardi food! could you specifiy a little more how much allspice cinnamon to put on- those are ingredients im a little "scared" of cuz I dont ussually cook with it and my hubby dear is not as adventurous as I.... Confused

1 teaspoon of each. dont wanna over do the allspice and cinnamon or it have a bark-ish taste (if that makes any sense. trust me, know from experience Smile

rachel19977

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 9:51 am
OK here it goes!

Boil a pot of salted water and put in the thick spagetti. Drain, remove and fry the spagetti a bit.
(I never did that, I just realized my MIL wrote this in the directions!)

Next. Chicken. Whatever you like, legs, thighs, wings.

Heat oil in a large pan, and fry chicken on all sides.

Add tomato paste, depending on the amount of chicken and spagetti you are using. Add a little water to make a sauce and cook.

Add black pepper, paprika, hot paprika and salt to taste

Cook the chicken a little more, not all the way since you are going to stick it in the oven soon.

Add the spagetti to the pan, and mix

Add about 8 garlic cloves

Mix

Stick into a pan for baking, and put into 350 oven (180 Israel)

You can cover it for a little bit, if the chicken isn't cooked thru, and then remove so the chicken and spagetti can get "crispy". Hmm I'd bake it for 15-30 min depending the strength of your oven till it gets crispy on top. If you don't like crispy, (picky kids or young kids) then bake with the cover.

Serve!

B'teavon!

If something seems missing let me know, I translated it into english
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics