Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying on my own with 3 little kids

zigi

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 8:17 am
am I crazy? how do you manage with car seats? there will be a stopover in the middle. does benadryl really work? after reading the other threads I need to get magna doodles, books, crayons, snacks, extra clothing for everyone. any thing else? thanks you so much. dh will be on the return flight, thank g-d!

Last edited by zigi on Fri, Jun 06 2008, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 9:23 am
How long is the drive? Depends on the length, agres and thier personality. I drive alot with my kids alone, so they are used to it. Some kids hate being in the car and others just fall asleep or enjoy the drive. I have done little games with them like find some with X color or tell me when yoou find a big truck. It helps keep them occupied. Also maybe get some books on tape to listen to. My sister and I used to drive long distances with our mother as a kid. We loved books on tape.

zigi

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 9:26 am
oops I meant flying, how do you get through airport security...

justanothermother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 11:40 am
What is the age range?

mom7270

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 11:44 am
wow a big good luck to ya... I once flew home from israel with dd and she was 1 we had a stopover in heathrow and with all the running and juggling I almost lost my mind... I hope your children are a little older Smile

MovinMom

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 12:46 pm
I could have written that OP. I'm flying myself with three kids too. And I am so nervous about it I can't even think about the rest of the trip etc.... and I'm flying Red eye..............

yedidya's mom

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 2:42 pm
I flew w. 2 kids- 18 months and 2 3/4. 9 hr flight. it was definitely challenging but doable. not sure abt 3.
my tips- ditch the car seats. I took the carseats to the airport and then had dh take them home and my mom met me at the other end w. 2 carseats. and some airlines dont let you take them on the plane anyway.
also lots of toys. lots of food. special treats for sitting nicely during take-off and landing. oh and do get a harness for the airport and getting on and off the plane for your little ones. eddie bauer makes cure ones w. stuffed animals that look more like backpacks than "leashes". good luck

montrealmommy

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 3:03 pm
I also did it with 2, oldest was 21/2 youngest was 7 mo (and already cruising!). I did one car seat - tough but was helpful, and one on my lap. Can't say what 3 will be like. I too had to change planes once. It was a 2 hour flight, then a 6 hour flight (this incl. boarding and deplaning) - not to mention that my tickets were mislabled at the middle locaiton and I had to switch terminals to get new tickets and go through security again (flew from NY to Toronto then Toronto to Vancouver).

Security:
Use bags!!!! The kids jackets went in the sleeves of mine, so there was just one thing to put up there.

- ditch the purse: I went with a fanny around my waist that had all imp. documents and tickets and money in a money clip and ziplock for the change (purse was packed in a suit case)

- carryons were: 1 travel suitcase (the overhead kind, on wheels) - in it was all my emergency thigs: change of clothes for everyone, xtra diapers, books for layover, paper and crayons for layover, xtra food, etc.... - in theory I would not have to access it on the plane, so it could propperly go overhead. 1 very very large diaper bag - basic changin needs (both were in diapers), finger foods in small snack size containers (baggies were too flimsy and could tear) - empty water bottle for ds and I and bottle for baby (once through security I filled the bottles with water). I was barely nursing at that time, so we also had forumla for baby. Last, ds had a kiddie knapsac with a few book, his fav. toy and some crayons (most restaurants will give you a bunch of the paper for the trays if you ask).

I really tried to keep it simple.

ds and I wore the same colors so he would be easily recognisable. I also wore a double shirt so if the top one got dirty I could just take it off without needing a washroom!

I find that kids often entertain each other and love watching the planes load and take off - so if you can sit near a window in the terminal. Also, get headphones on the plane (or bring your own) and find the classical music - my ds loved it and fell asleep quite nicely too!!!. I also bbrought an eye mask for him so it owuld be dark when he wated to rest.

Stay calm - security, stewardesses, everyone was really ehlpful - I just spoke up and asked. I asked to board ealry and I waited until the end to deplane so I could take my time. They even offered my ds to go see the captain (what a rush for a 2 year old!). when I had to go to the bathroom, I would call a stewardess over and ask if she could help me.

I also realized that if someone next to you is kind and yout gut says they are ok , and they offer to hold a kid - say YES!!!!! I was fortunate enough on the longer leg of that trip to be sitting next to a hindu lady who was travelling with her daughters and husband but they had to be split up on the plane (1 parent with 1 child) - her girls played with my baby so nicely!

Hatzlacha

Also, give advance warning to whomever you are going to about the maztav and that you will probably need a little extra help the first day or so as you will also be tired and drained.

zigi

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 3:46 pm
thanks for the replies! ok so its doable! I will hopefully not take car seats b/c I can't really carry them unless I have the kids walk with the harnesses, while the car seats are on the stroller. my 1 yr old would be in my lap. good idea about the larger carry on. I am always afraid that my luggage will get lost. or not make it on the flight and I will get it a day later,

zigi

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 6:37 pm
I made it! I took only one suitcase. and I had a diaper bag with a full set of spare clothes for everyone and extra diapers. I also had a backpack with snacks and food. and a purse that I could put over my chest. my kids the 2 preschoolers had mini back packs filled with toys and snacks.

we had to wait a long time in the check in line, we waited for about 2 hours. I gave my kids individual snack bags and lollipops, - they were organic - so I felt slightly better about giving them, but the chice was give lollipops or have dc screaming.

I was planning on buying drinks after we got through security, but the check in line was so long I was really thirsty, next time I would bring juice boxes or small bottles of water so if I had to get rid of them before security it wouldn't be a problem.

security wasn't that bad but if your baby is a new walker, just put on socks with grips instead of shoes. one less pair to put on and take off. I also lost his shoe on the plane.

if you are traveling with a baby I definatly recomend a baby sling or baby bjorn becacuse it was hard getting the kids on the plane and holding a diaper bag and back pack. I was not the only one wearing a baby.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 7:37 pm
Zigi, good job!

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 7:44 pm
b'ruchim habaim ... you did it !!! Cheers

zigi

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 7:08 pm
I made it back! it is definatly doable.

the first flight was alright, I let my baby play on the floor and walk around a bit, and I had juice bottles for him.

we got to atlanta, we were told that we were going to be delayed, ok fine, then we were told that the flight was cancelled, and we would be leaving tomorrow, I found out when my next flight was after waiting in line for a long time, I didn't know what I was going to do I saw agents giving out hotel vouchers, my kids were crying and kvetching, the agent had rachmonis on us and gave us a hotel voucher and 3 meal vouchers, all we could buy was snacks and fruit, we stayed overnight in the hotel and thankfully made it home today!

thank you everyone who gave their tips and advice and said that the trip could be done!

just in case you are stuck overnight bring as much diapers that you can fit, also bring 2 changes of clothes for babies in diapers, and change of clothing for everyone else. even if you don't eat cholov isroel there really isn't anything to eat in the airport, all they had that was non cholov yisroel was icecream, yogurt, and cookies, also if you have a baby bring an extra can of formula.

chavs

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 8:57 pm
omg! That sounds horrible, but very typical you lol. I cant believe that it happened to you again, wow.

zigi

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 9:18 pm
I was talking to a lady who was also stranded I told her that before I was married it happened to me and I didn't really mind. but now with 3 hungry and tired kids, I need help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics