Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
China Town Special

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 9:53 pm
How do you feel about purchasing fakes/knockoffs/China Town specials?

I noticed where I live that everyone here is obsessed with the Burberry shirts and Lacoste polos. Everyone sells 'em. In the stores, out of their basements. But they are all fake.

And what about handbags?

What do you think?

Toot

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:03 pm
Are you asking from an ethical perspective or a fashion one?

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:06 pm
If I can't afford the bag or sunglasses or whatever, I won't buy a knockoff. I just can't bring myself to buy fake and think it's real.

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:09 pm
I never buy knockoffs. I either buy the real thing, or just buy a cheaper brand which I could afford. Besides the legal/moral issues involved, I find it to be in bad taste. Do you really just have to have that specific brand??

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 8:04 am
couldn't care less for the real thing or the knock off.

shmeichel

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 8:54 am
I buy what I like regardless of if its real, fake, copy, no brand etc...

If I like, I like it!

madys

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 9:30 am
the same can be said for buying cubic zirconia instead of diamonds (which I do all the time and everyone is always complimenting my jewelry, and I just say thank you)

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 9:47 am
madys wrote:
the same can be said for buying cubic zirconia instead of diamonds (which I do all the time and everyone is always complimenting my jewelry, and I just say thank you)

I'm not sure. Maybe you can inform me because I really don't know but the thing about fake designer items is that they are manufactured in countries where labor is REALLY scarily cheap.. not to mention using child labor. Then again, perhaps many things we use day to day are from such countries.

Reason why I asked was because for many months now Harper's Bazaar has been doing a campaign against fakes for that reason. Not because it is distasteful but because of the human violations that come into play. But not a lot of ppl know that so they are trying to make ppl aware. Of course their audience is more a group that wouldn't necessarily buy fakes anyway!

freidasima

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 10:10 am
Fakes are so common here in EY however there is a one letter change in the name so you know it is a "rip off".

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 10:38 am
I buy what I like. I would never buy an obvious knockoff, some of them scream fake. But if I find a cute looking bag, fake or not, and If I can afford it, I get it.

Do you really think that if people do not buy these things it will end all unfair labor? If they won't make bags, they will find other things for them to do. I do not see why it comes into play...
yes, it is unfortunate that we live in times that these things happen, but what can you do when you deal with people who have no qualms about children working... they will always find things for them to do..

Kmommy18

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 1:43 pm
I don't buy knockoff handbags... I just think they look fake kwim? But, I do buy knockoff sunglasses sometimes. Not really because I want sunglasses that say "Dior" on them... But because I don't like to spend a lot of money on sunglasses (my kids break mine all the time) and the chinese stand only sells knockoffs so thats what I end up with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics