Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Do u know a recipe for Fish in Tomato Sauce

cl

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:22 am
Im almost sure I had this dish in Israel while staying by Sefardi relatives but I cant track it down.
Does anyone know of a Fish in Tomato sauce recipe?

grin

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:25 am
brown onions and garlic in oil, add stewed tomatoes, spices, cut fish, and lemon juice. Add water as necessary. Cook until done.

cl

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:27 am
grin, thank u so much.
is there a particular fish u use?
and the stewed tomatoes do u cook them first? or just add tomatos from a can?
and which spices go well with it?
I want to try the recipe this week.

greentiger

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:29 am
fry onions and garlic in oil till soft, add cubed carrots and tomato, continue sauteing for 5 minutes, add water, tomato paste, salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are soft, add the defrosted or fresh fish and cook for 15 minutes.

I could type up the exct recipe and amounts if you are interested.

greentiger

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:32 am

Thats my fish.

cl

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:33 am
If u get a chance I wud love 2 see the whole recipe with exact measurements.
Do u make this fish 4 shabbos?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:34 am
Mouthwatering. Is that nesichat hanilus?

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:44 am
nesicha! oh the joys of living in EY...

MIL sautes red peppers, garlic cloves (whole), cilantro, then adds tomatoes, and spices (osem chicken soup mix, tumeric, sweet paprika, spicy paprika) and hot dried red peppers (sudanis).

in EY she uses moosht and nesicha.. in the States we use tilapia - if you use it whole you get a similar taste to the moosht, but not quite the same. not sure what fish you have at your disposal in England.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:44 am
From recipezaar (no tomato paste but I don't think the real moroccan fish has too much in it anyway. You can taste and add if needed)

Spanish Moroccan Fish Recipe #233576
This recipe was submitted to the Allrecipes.com website by MaryJane. This is her introduction. "This Moroccan recipe was passed down for generations in my family. We usually serve it on the Sabbath night and holidays. It is a favorite! This dish may be served hot or cold according to taste."
by Happy Hippie

1¼ hours | 10 min prep

SERVES 6

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
* 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
* 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
* 3 tomatoes, chopped
* 4 olives, chopped
* 15 ounces garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
* 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
* 3 tablespoons paprika
* 4 tablespoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
* salt
* 5 lbs tilapia fillets

1. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the oil, then cook and stir the onion and garlic, until slightly tender.
2. Add the bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, olives, and garbanzo beans.
3. Continue to cook until the peppers are slightly tender.
4. Sprinkle the parsley, paprika, cumin, cayenne, and chicken bouillon over the vegetables.
5. Season with salt to taste.
6. Stir to incorporate.
7. Place the fish on top of the vegetables and add enough water to cover the vegetables. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 40 minutes.

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:46 am
cl - although the fish may look red, it may not have been from tomato sauce, but rather from paprika. check out my moroccan fish recipe. this is straight from morocco!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:47 am
There is also the Tripoli dish of Chraimeh: fish in a hot red sauce. Was it more like that?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:49 am
HotMama, is yours like Chraimeh? Hot paprika, garlic, cumin etc?

greentiger

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:50 am
Its a Buri, but the recipe is for Bakala.

2 garlic cloves
1 med-large onion
1 ripe tomato
1 carrot
4 tbs (olive) oil
2 tsp parsley (I left that out)
200 grams tomato paste
1/2 c water (I needed a bit more)
1 tbs chicken soup mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch basil or oregano (left that out too)

-Clean the fish and remove the bones. Slice the fish into 2-3 pieces and sprinke with salt and pepper.
-dice the onion garlic tomato and carrot
-Start making the sauce by sauteing the onion and garlic in a large pot for aprox 4 mins till they are soft but not brown. Add the carrot, tomato and parsley and cook for 5 more mins. Add the tomato paste water and soup mix. Cook for about 20 mins on a low flame. Add salt and pepper to taste.
-Add the pieces of fish (but make sure the sauce is fully cooked and veggies are soft), cover the fish with the sauce, cover the pot and cook for 10 min if the fish was defrosted and 15 if it was frozen. The fish is ready when it breaks apart when touched with the fork. Add a pinch of oregano or (basil?) and serve very hot.

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:52 am
MIL makes with tomatoes (crushed) but she told me that her MIL always made it without tomatoes. I make mine like this:

WHAT YOU NEED:

5-6 nice sized red peppers, cut into strips (see note)*
6-12 garlic cloves, whole
1 bunch of cilantro, medium sized
1 green hot pepper (the shriveled up kind, don't know the name)
3 Sudani peppers (tiny, red, dried peppers)
Salt
Osem chicken powder
Carcum/Tumeric
Paprika
Paprika Harifa and/or Cayenne Peper
Olive oil
Water
Fish

1. Pour olive oil in pan just to coat with a short layer, not too much, about 1/4 of an inch or so (???). Heat.
2. Saute the pepper strips, garlic cloves, green hot pepper and cilantro until soft. (What I like to do is first prep the peppers, then add them to the pot, then while they are cooking, I prep the garlic, then add.. then the cilantro. It cuts down on cooking/prep time, and anyways the peppers take the longest to get soft).
3. Once they become soft, add a bit of water, just enough to make the "boil" stop for a second but then return. Now add about 1 tbs of Osem, 1 tbs of carcum/tumeric, A LOT of paprika (till mixture is very red), paprika harifa/cayenne pepper to taste (be careful, cayenne is spicier than paprika harifa), salt to taste, and the Sudanis. You should break open at least 1 Sudani and let the seeds be distributed throughout the mix. The more you open up the hotter it becomes.
3. Gradually over time, add water - about 1.5 cups or so over time. Always return to boil.
4. Mix should be fragrant. When everything is melding together, place your fish pieces on top of the mix, spooning a little of it on top of the fish.
5. Let cook on low heat until fish is done. NEVER stir with a spoon - instead, pick up the pan (with oven mitts, please!) and shake from side to side (NOT up and down) slowly so as to mix well.

You can add any other veggies you want - chickpeas, carrots, celery, onions. This is how DH's Savta made it, so I stick to the original.. however every once and while I change it a bit Smile

*** NOTE ABOUT PEPPERS - some ppl argue about whether or not to keep on the skins. If you take off the skins you WILL lose most of the pepper's nutritional value, but it's your preference. You have 2 options when prepping the peppers:
1. Roast them in the oven - set oven to broil, rotate peppers every few minutes so as not to get too burnt. When done, stick in a brown paper bag for about 15 minutes. Then peel and cut into strips.
OR
2. The lazy, but still perfectly fine way - Just cut the fresh peppers into strips and thats it!

ENJOY!

When I began to make like this, DH and BIL were in shock - they told me it was exactly like their Savtas, so ever since, this has become the classic recipe in our home.

rachel19977

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:52 am
I know a recipe that requires tomato paste and matza. Then you bake.

I made it on Pesach.

let me know if you want the recipe.

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 7:07 am
post it rachel! why not?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 5:14 am
Okay, I finally got it together and made yummy spicy fish in red sauce. Take a whole head of garlic (you can use less but at least 5-6 cloves), peel the cloves and mince. Saute garlic in oil, making sure not to burn the garlic. Add 2 tablespoons paprika and continue to saute with the garlic. Add about 3 tablespoons of tomato paste and 1/2 cup water and continue cooking. The sauce will thicken. Keep stirring, adding water as needed. After about 10 minutes add salt, cumin and ground caraway seed to taste. If you want chariff, you can either add hot peppers to the sauce, or red pepper flakes or hot paprika. Keep cooking while stirring and add water as needed. Add your fish and water as needed - sauce should be thick. Cook till fish is gone.
This is one of those recipes where whatever you do is good, it's not an exact science. I put a little corriander sprigs in the sauce and it was delicious. It was so good that I tried making the saice for meatballs for Shabbat. We'll see how it turns out.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 5:30 am
This is the recipe I started with. The first time I did not have pilpel chuma, which I want to make myself. I bought a jar in the supermarket for the future recipes but I can probably make it myself with no trouble.
דג ברוטב אדום חריף חריימה)

כמות: 4 מנות, זמן הכנה: חצי שעה

המצרכים:
1 קילו דג ים לפי בחירה, פרוס לנתחים
מלח
1 ראש שום about 12 cloves
‭3/4‬ כוס שמן
2 כפות פפריקה חריפה
2 כפות פלפל צ’ומה (מחית שום ופפריקה, להשיג בכל סופר)
3 כפות רסק עגבניות
1 כפית מלח
1 כפית קימל טחון (כרוויה)
1 כפית כמון
מיץ מ‭1/2-‬ לימון

Preparation:

Clean and salt the fish.

Mince cloves and sear in hot, not boiling, oil. Lower flame and add paprika, tomato paste and pilpel chuma.

Stir quickly for a few seconds to sear paprika. Add 1/4 cup water. Raise flame and mix non stop for about 1/2 minute. Add another 1/4 cup water and lightly fry while stirring gently.

Add water to get a thick sauce. Add fish; water should cover it 3/4 of the way up. Add a teaspoon of salt, ground caraway and cumin. Cook 7 minutes on high flame.

Add juice from 1/2 lemon and lower flame; cook an additional 7 minutes.

Serve with lemon wedge and fresh challa.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics