Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Going to Rome

ffbmom

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:41 pm
I am thinking of going to Rome this summer. I can actually get a ticket that is not that costly, but I was told the hotels are upwards of $300 a night. Anyone been to Rome lately? Any recommendations? Thanks a ton.

ss321

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:55 pm
ffbmom wrote:
I am thinking of going to Rome this summer. I can actually get a ticket that is not that costly, but I was told the hotels are upwards of $300 a night. Anyone been to Rome lately? Any recommendations? Thanks a ton.

not nec. true. you can definitely get a hotel for less than 300 a night. it wont be a ritz carlton, it might be a more boutiquey small hotel that is 3 or 4 stars, but you can find one. try travelocity for starters. are you gonna b there for shabbos? that might limit you, if you want to find something within walking distance to a shul of which I dont think there are that many...
really though try travelocity. were thinking of doing either rome or venice thanksgiving time, and ive only looked thru the hotels very preliminarily (not worth it to book SO far in advance incase prices drop), but there are lots of pretty ones under 300.

Shalshelet

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:57 pm
I was in Rome about 10 years ago for like a day. You could try contacting the chabad house there for some options. You might also try the Holiday Inns there - they seem to have decent rates when I checked. How long are you staying and what will you see there?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 4:51 am
Dh knows well Rome, I can ask him about restaurants, shuls, if you want?
I suppose sarahnurit can also help a ton.

ffbmom

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 6:41 am
Thanks so much, everyone. I will try travelocity and the Holiday Inns. I'm not staying for Shabbos, but would certainly like to be near kosher restaurants. I'll also contact Chabad. Any personal experience is really welcome. I once stayed in a hotel that had great prices and great internet pictures, but it was a dump, so it's always great to hear from someone who actually stayed there.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 7:20 am
Ok, so:
My husband only knows of the great synagogue, easily findable. The rabbi is chief rabbi Riccardo Disegni.
The restaurants are mainly in the ghetto. If you want glatt you need a Chabad supervision, but he doesn't know if they exist in Rome. Same if you want to be sure about cy.

A website: http://www.romacer.org/default.....d=114

BEE

Post Sat, Jun 28 2008, 7:32 pm
I was just there with my husband. there's a kosher bed and breakfast called "The Home in Rome" http://www.thehomeinrome.it/ (we actually didnt stay there because it was full but we heard really nice things about it from friends). It serves kosher breakfast and there's a bakery/pizza shop called Pane Pane right nearby with good food and a very good hashgachah.
there is also another place with a good hashgachah in the ghetto called Yotvata (a bit off the main street there).
If you enjoy history and excavations, u'll love it there, otherwise you may find it boring b/c there aren't really 'activities' there.
Make sure you have a guide book to give you info as you travel. Also, make sure to go to the big synagogue to see and join tours they offer (jewish catacombs, "Jewish Vatican", the Ghetto etc).
if you have extra time take a day to go to Florence or some other cities in Italy.
Enjoy and if you have more q's just ask

babygirl

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 5:58 pm
ffbmom, where did you find your tickets? im looking to go to europe this summer from israel and the tickets are about 800....someone told dh that there are charter flights for really cheap but I couldnt find that any info is REALLy appreciated as I really wanna go:)

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 6:02 pm
lachmagene wrote:
ffbmom, where did you find your tickets? im looking to go to europe this summer from israel and the tickets are about 800....someone told dh that there are charter flights for really cheap but I couldnt find that any info is REALLy appreciated as I really wanna go:)

where are you going? within europe there are some very cheap airlines (ryanair.com, easyjet)

arkia does charter flights from israel, and also thomson.

babygirl

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 6:09 pm
Actually I want to go from israel to rome and then leave from venice my husbands friends wif e is from milan and he said there are charter flights for $150 but you have to book the night before...is that true?

Cow

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:54 am
Hi,

We have a stopover in the airport in Rome in a week for about 4/5 hours. Is there anything we can do while we're there? Anything kosher in the airport? Anything interesting to do around the airport?

Thanks!

sarahnurit

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:20 pm
Nothing kosher at the airport except for some sodas that you can get at any bar...

Strudel

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:51 pm
All I remeber about being in Rome on Shabbos was trying to get into shul, only to be met by guards with machine guns who wouldn't let us in!

sarahnurit

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 5:51 pm
Well, they have security outside each synagogue here in Italy, but usually they do let you in, if you explain to them that you need to pray etc.: they willask you questions, documents, but they should eventually let you in!
Once something funny happened to my husband and I in Florence: we were there for Shabbat, so we went to the shul for the morning service and there was an israeli young man checking people that were coming into the shul. When it came to us, he said: "Do you have documents?" So we explained that we couldn't carry them, since it was Shabbat Wink But he wasn't happy, he said: "Well, you should have at least a photocopy of them with you....!" shock
My husband made some pressure and he let us in, but we were a bit shocked by the guy...

Cow

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 3:56 am
We have a stopover in rome and I found out we can take a train into the city. Is there anything halachically we can't see when we're in Rome?

sarahnurit

Post Sat, Aug 09 2008, 5:20 pm
Well, there are a lot of churches, if that'a what you mean...

pink car

Post Sat, Aug 09 2008, 9:19 pm
when in Rome, make sure to stop off and eat at Yotvata restaurant - http://www.yotvata.it

food and service is great!! check their opening hours, cuz they close during the afternoon between lunch and Dinner.

bandcm

Post Sat, Aug 09 2008, 9:40 pm
I was in Rome a few years ago for almost a week.
We stayed in the Hotel Dolomicci, we found it on Expedia. It's 3 star, cost about 60 euros a night. Was really sweet, not big, but very atmospheric.
The restaurant Yotvata is great, and I remember there was an amazing pizza shop in the Ghetto, but I don't remember the name.
If you don't like history, it may be a little boring. But if you do, make sure to take the Rome bus tour.
If you are in Venice, make sure to be there for Shabbos at the Chabad House. The tables are set up along the Grand Canal, it's really something.

sarahnurit

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 2:39 pm
Yes, Yotvata is the way to go.
That's where we go to eat every time we go to Rome....Pizzas are really yummy, and so is artichocke deep fried, breaded mozzarella cheese and vegetables...gnocchi alla sorrentina...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics