Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Making time for cooking

Chaya08

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:09 pm
I really want to bake and cook but I can't find the time. My baby is almost 3 months old and I don't understand how people have time to cook supper for their husbands with an infant. So how do you do it?

chany1

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:20 pm
A good idea is to cook in the morning. When I have an infant, I usually make a very simple supper. We call it "crock pot supper" and dh and children love it. I use the westbend crockpot, where you have a little hotplate and a pot. So first I sete' the onions on the regular flame. I then add chicken, meat, chicken nougets or meatballs and water and spices. I then put it on the hotplate. 20 minutes bef. serving you can add the rice, macoroni, spaghetti or whatever side dish you want.
You gain 2 things.
1. It's all in one pot
2. Supper smells delicious all day.

I also do it when going out for the day. I come back to a yummy hot supper.

Last edited by chany1 on Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:21 pm
What I used to do is get a friend to watch the newborns for a few hours and I would have asked dh to shop the day before so I had all the stuff around, and then I would cook up a storm (like bake 5 chickens and make four kugels and things like that) and freeze portions. The only fresh stuff I would make would be pasta or rice or salad to go with it...

octopus

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:26 pm
keep it simple!
And have the ingredients you need for the week!
I have an (almost) two year old and an (almost) four month old.
I make very simple chicken dinners most of the time, and some sort of potato with some sort of veggie side. It usually takes me about fifteen minutes to prepare dinner.
other nights I make homemade pizza on pita bread (in the toaster oven)- dh makes his own the way he likes it. That just leaves me with ds and me to worry about).

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 5:20 pm
I have a set menu for every week:

mon- beef
tues-milchigs
wed- chicken
thurs- fish or pareve

At least I start out knowing what I have to cook( I learned this from a friend and since I started things have been easier)

I always make doubel chicken for shabbos and then serve the leftovers on wed. If that doesn't work otu for some reason then I make my chicken for the following shabbos on wednesday and serve soem of it for dinner.

If I am serving slamon or other real fish for shabbos I do double and then serve on a thursday.

I also make alot of the recipes from rela simple magazien. They are quick and easy and usually VERY good. You could maybe try them online.

Amital

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 8:18 am
A couple of other options:

Freezer cook! Take a day or so, when you'll have help with the baby, and just make big batches of dinner. I usually do one type of protein at a time. So for chicken, you can roast a few, put some in sauces to marinate and freeze, and cook others however you like. Then take the roasted chicken off the bone and shred. Freeze it all. Next time you want chicken for dinner, just take a pan out with your marinated chicken in the morning, then cook. Presto!

Can do for ground beef (taco meat, hamburgers, spaghetti sauce, chili, meatloaf, meatballs, etc.), fish (I mostly freeze in marinades in the right serving size), beans (enchiladas, chili, burritos), milchig (pizzas, egg burritos, etc). You can also do for baked goods (muffins, cookie dough--freeze individual scoops and cook a few at a time, breads) and sides (like rice dishes)

Bulk freezer cooking takes a lot of time when you do it initially, but I'd guess you spend less time overall in the kitchen. When you're hungry, you have the convenience of homemade convenience foods. Just defrost and heat!

Some people, myself included, also just double or triple a recipe when they do have time to cook. Then freeze the extras for another meal some other time.

I also put the baby in a sling for some things, obviously nothing dangerous like working with the oven! As your baby gets older, you can give them something like what you have (a bowl and spoon) to play with. My boys like to play with a basin of water on a towel. That's how Shabbat gets made sometimes!

Good luck!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 9:17 am
I only get home from work 1 hr before the 1st kid comes home & during that time, I usually have to feed the baby so I can't start supper until 3. I work quickly, don't make complicated things. I also have a set menu for the week:

Mon - meatballs, shepards pie, meat sauce etc
Tues - mac n cheese for kids, fish for us
Wed - shnitzel of some sort
Thurs - pizza for the kids & eggs or turkey burgers or shabbos food (if its ready) for us

I'm looking forward to when I stop working so I can prepare supper in the morning.

biz120

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 10:10 am
As organised as I try to be with suppers, I always find myself in the kitchen an entire sunday, filling up on my freezer. And it empties so fast!!! Every night I'm making a fresh side dish, and am just so exhausted after a full day work. I can't even be bothered washing my dishes after supper, I just wanna lay on th e couch and go to sleep...
Any ideas how I can be EVEN more organised?

sarahzeldman

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 6:06 am
You can get advice on Menu Planning, Advanced Cooking, Freezer Cooking & More (Plus recipes) - in my FREE ebook at http://www.healthyshabbat.com/......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics