Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Anyone Teach in a Public HS?

manhattanmom

Post Sat, Jun 21 2008, 11:34 pm
I'm just wondering if anyone here teaches in a Public High School. In September, I"yh I'll be doing a full semester of student teaching in a NYC Public High School. I'm not really worried--I've met the teacher who I'll be working with and have visited the site a few times. There happens to be quite a few frum teachers in the school who I've met in the halls.

roze22

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 2:27 am
I taught in a public high school this last year, but am moving to a private (though not jewish) school this year... it was difficult at times, but really not impossible. I made certain things clear at the beginning of the year (like the fact that I am jewish, and thus dont believe in other religions... just to clear the air). it was a good experience overall, and the students were actually eager to find out more. the staff had their moments both ways

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 7:44 am
I taught in public schools for a bunch of years (now I'm at home with ds) and I taught in elem. and NYC middle schools. I never bring religion into the classroom unless it has to do with the subject at hand - like religion found in a literary context. It also depends where your school is, what the pop. is. You'll be fine.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 8:45 am
Thanks. I was just wondering if there were NYC Public High School teachers on this site.
I'm not going to responsible for teaching a whole classroom--I'll be working in more of a resource room type setting for the students in the school who are blind or have low vision at Murrow High School on Avenue M in Brooklyn--there are quite a few teachers there who are frum--including one I know well who teaches in the program I'll be working in. I'm not worried at all about them understanding my religious requirements....

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 9:04 am
Are you a member of the AOJT? Association for Orthodox Jewish Teachers? It's cheap membership and it's good to support a group that will help you if ch'v you should need it - like getting off for holidays, etc.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 9:24 am
I'm still in Graduate School. Next year I'll be student teaching which means I'll be working with other teachers and NOT getting paid. The Department of Education is not hiring me. When I graduate and I get a regular job I will join, thanks.

Toot

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 10:03 am
Do you plan on continuing resource room work once you finish school and are there full time? Do you davka want to be in a public school as opposed to private? Just curious Smile

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 10:16 am
MorahS--I'm getting a Master's in Education of Children who are Blind and Visually Impaired. Even if I worked "independently" in yeshivas, I will still be an employee of the Department of Ed. in New York as there are no yeshivas that have classrooms and services for children who need vision teachers--that is my specialization. I need to work for one semester teaching older children and one semester teaching preschool to complete my certification. When I enter the workforce, I will likely be an itinerant teacher, as the Department of Ed. is focusing now on all-inclusion--there are fewer and fewer classrooms made up of children who are all visually impaired or blind.

At this time, however, I'm thinking that when I finish school I'd like to be a Full Time Stay at Home Mom and maybe taking an extra course through the Library of Congress and become a Braille book transcriber so I could work from home--it pays really nicely and you can work freelance and I'm totally obsessed with braille! I'd just have to have all the equipment at home--for typesetting and embossing books.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 5:07 pm
I am actually student teaching at Murrow right now. I haven't had to take off for anything, but there's ton's of frum ppl there and everyone I've met is really nice.

manhattanmom

Post Sat, Jul 26 2008, 11:43 pm
amother wrote:
I am actually student teaching at Murrow right now. I haven't had to take off for anything, but there's ton's of frum ppl there and everyone I've met is really nice.

Why are you amother? I'd love to pm you.
Will you be there in the Fall?

Frum

Post Fri, Aug 15 2008, 5:36 am
I did my student teaching in two public highschools. I was the only frum person there (even the only Jew), but I managed. It wasn't always easy, but my students were really ok with it and interested to learn more about why I wear skirts or didn't show up on certain days.

B"h I now teach in a jewish highschool, but I have learned a lot from the experience in public hs and wouldn't have wanted to miss the experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics