Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Shir Ha'Maalos

Motek

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 3:32 pm
There is an ancient Jewish custom which has been practiced for centuries, to adorn the newborn's home with pieces of parchment or paper on which are inscribed holy verses, angelic names, and the Psalm, "Shir HaMaalos - A Song of Ascents...My help will come from the L-rd."

It is customary to hang a Shir HaMaalos in the room of the new mother and the newborn, immediately upon the expectant mother's arrival at the hospital. This serves as a safeguard for the mother etc., both during the birth itself so that it will proceed normally and easily, and also during the following days, so that they will survive for a long life.

Another reason given is that this is a part of [the child's] education - so that the first thing that the child sees will be something holy (from this we may also infer how important it is to ensure that the child does not look at pictures of unclean things).

... Therefore, it is important to bring to the attention of Jewish people everywhere that even when the birthing mother and infant are in the hospital, one should endeavor to hang up a "Shir HaMaalos" in the room of the mother and the child, and if possible to attach one to the cradle of the baby, similar to the custom which is practiced in their home. For these virtuous acts are even more important the closer they are to the birth.

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 7:52 pm
Motek some even hang on the front door on the outside of their home....why?
I know why on the atchual door of thier room, crib, labour room etc but this I don't understand!

Last edited by Tefila on Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 11:46 pm
the first thing the child sees is the furniture/ floor/ walls/ equipment, then doctor, mother, nurces, father.

I always have a sidur in my labor bag, and since all my kids were born on Fri, they heard me daven kabalas shabbos, mke kidush and bench. I think, I'm covered here 8)

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:40 am
Quote:
and since all my kids were born on Fri,

What a beautiful way to honor Shabbos Hamalka Very Happy
All naturually born, no inducing etc:?:

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 10:12 am
yes, natural, on their own! LOL
it's a hazaka now, we did it 3 times,
so the kids-to-come BE'H, better keep that in mind Wink

we deicided that it makes sence - from warm & cosy tummy where they learnd with an angel into the holy Shabbos. Aren't they smart, BA'H?
Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

micki

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 10:37 am
umm guys- isn't it shir La ma'alos?
I also put a tzedak abox and picture of the rebbe in the bassinett (and a picture of the siblings... but thats just for me.)

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:05 pm
Quote:
I also put a tzedak abox and picture of the rebbe in the bassinett

Hi micki the picture of the Rebbe I do too, but The Tzedaka box in the bassinet... never thought of Confused

zuncompany

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:06 pm
I do that too. We were told to put ther cards on each doorway of our home.

sara

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:21 pm
Quote:
isn't it shir La ma'alos?

you are right!
this has confused me bec. the words are "shir l'maalos" but it's referred to as "shir ha'maalos"

my guess is that since 14 out of 15 chapters begin with the words "shir ha'maalos," even this one, which begins with "shir l'maalos" is referred to as one of the shir ha'maalos

or maybe it's simply an error

micki

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 1:30 pm
no- I always refrerred to it as shir lamalos and someone who deals with distributing these (if I say who she is you'll know who I am Twisted Evil ) always refers to it as shir lamalos. it is an error of people just assuming and never actually looking at it!! I was corrected by my first birth by my hubbby- cause I also called it hamalos.

supermom

Post Sun, Dec 05 2004, 2:41 pm
Forever young you have special kids I must say any child that is born on shabbos has a very special personality and midot enjoy your holy kids Very Happy

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Dec 05 2004, 7:43 pm
thank you, supermom, I'll take the compliment,
even though they all were born erev shabbos

I would hate to have to go to the hospital on shabbos, but b4 shabbos is just perfect Smile

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 06 2004, 9:24 am
perfect? I would hate to be stuck in the hospital over shabbos. I guess its better though than actually going to the hospital on shabbos.

micki

Post Mon, Dec 06 2004, 9:54 am
hey I loved being in the hospital over shabbos. 2 of mine were born on shabbos- one friday night the other shabbos afternoon.
no phone calls, no buzzing no visitors (unless they lived close by) it was great. I was able to rest and recover and be only with my new baby and by the time I was ready for the real world- shabbos was over.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 06 2004, 10:13 am
you must have a beautiful hospital or something.
I wanted to go home almost as soon as I gave birth, they were going to let me also, but they remembered I had strep B so I had to stay there for 24 hours...Sad
after 24 hours they came up with another reason I should stay another day, but I was like "I'm halfway out the door, are you sure I need to stay?"
they let me leave, bh, only one night in the hospital!!

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Dec 06 2004, 10:16 am
I actually love it b/c nobody can disturb me. The only person I miss is my dh. Right after the labour I don't really want to see/ hear/ talk to too many people.

imanut

Post Mon, Dec 06 2004, 10:45 am
my baby was born erev shabbos and on shabbos when my husband went to name the baby I had a hard time b/c I wasn't sure if I was allowed to push the call button for the nurse.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Dec 06 2004, 10:51 am
I think yo can, but ask your Rov.
I just walked to the nirce's station
Also, somebody came it at regular intervals, so sometimes I just waited for somebody to come.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics