Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upshernish help

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 11:38 am
I need suggestions as to how to go about the upshernish, times, places, food, and in short everything. Anyone has done an upshernish at night?

dillie

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 11:48 am
I just made one- but it was a sunday afternoon, not at night. does it have to be at night? we had a lot of little kids running around outside, so it really helped that it was a nice day.
first, think of your guest list- family? friends? neighbors? depending on how many people you have, decide where you can have it. then, it's just like any other 'nicer' party, really. decide if you want to do milchigs or fleishigs, price out catering vs cooking yourself.
enjoy it!

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 12:53 pm
I have a problem. Kids don't get home from school till about two thirty. Men don't get out of kollel till two, woman don't get home till 4. There really isn't any time during the day. All the men go back to the kollel at four and I would love to have my friends there too not only men. My sons class get out at 3:30. His birthday falls out on sunday. THere is no such a thing here in israel as no school, work, or kollel on sunday. I am stumped as to when. Place that isn't a problem.

As for food I thought about just finger food, but what?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 12:56 pm
so why don't you do an early supper on the Sunday of his birthday? call it for around 6:30 so therefore everyone can come.

You can serve all kinds of food, but first let us know if it will be meat or milk?

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 12:59 pm
Kollel only gets out at 7. Meat sounds interesting for finger foods. Meat is also cheaper in israel too.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 1:46 pm
Do you want smorgasbord or sit down?
Are you providing a project or some sort of entertainment for the kids?

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:01 pm
Not sit down. It depends if there will be any kids I am not so sure. I thought just a thought though to let his whole class do the cutting for him. The day of his birthday to make a big thing in his class and then maybe on shabbos make a kiddush in shul? I don't know I am so stump because of the bad timing.

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:04 pm
This was my original plan but dh doesn't think it is a great idea. To go to the kotel for vasikin let him daven, and then cut my sons hair there. We come home and have a party for him in his class and then at night have a meal for my in laws and us.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:14 pm
supermom wrote:
This was my original plan but dh doesn't think it is a great idea. To go to the kotel for vasikin let him daven, and then cut my sons hair there. We come home and have a party for him in his class and then at night have a meal for my in laws and us.

this sounds like a nice idea in theory, but I dont think a 3 year old would appreciate being dragged out of bed for vasikin Confused

but the 2 separate party ideas may work. a little one in school for all his buddies, and one nice dinner in the evening for relatives

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:21 pm
And get the kids in his class to cut his hair? I thought I would always do something nice for him since he is my only son. BUt I guess I won't be doing anything big. Sad It will be something more personal.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:39 pm
do it the opposite way. on the evening of his bday, make a nice evening dinner for all your friends and relatives, have the relatives cut his hair, etc.
then, the next morning he can bring in some pekalach and maybe a cake for his friends. (I wouldnt want a 3 year old going anywhere near my kid with a scissors anyway shock )

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:50 pm
His birthday comes out of sunday so the evening before it motze shabbos. To hectic. His class is made up of 3-5 year olds. If I am with them holding a piece to cut how bad can it be? Or unless the kids will start cutting other kids hair to on the way.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:08 pm
I would NOT let his classmates cut his hair.
What twizzlers said makes sense. Only have a party in his class, like any other one.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 3:10 pm
so do sunday nite and monday morning.

and personally, I'd be afraid that if you let them at his head one time with a scissors, they may try it again some other time when you are not around to supervise. but then again people call me neurotic so to each his own I guess.

shabri

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 2:05 am
We don't do upsherins so I don't know the minhagim ie if it has to be bo bayom on the b-day, but I've been to a bunch of Friday morning ones here in Israel. With shabbos so late, its a real option this time of yr.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 10:55 am
In my family, I do not ever recall seeing any classmates by any of the actual cutting of the hair...
we usually did a morning or evening buffet for family and friends, and that day or the next, the boy would go to a first grade class to give out pekelach and lick the honey and all...

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 12:31 pm
supermom wrote:
Kollel only gets out at 7. Meat sounds interesting for finger foods. Meat is also cheaper in israel too.

If in the evening can you call it for 6.30, the women will come and then at 7 the men?

Is it possible to do something in the morning?

Doing it on Friday also sounds good.

The class party sounds like a good idea in general, it doesn't have to be anything major. Just figure out when you'll cut his hair (I don't think cutting it at school makes sense)

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:58 pm
6:30 sounds like a good idea since until people come it might just be about seven anyway.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 2:08 pm
I would stick to the sunday afternoon evening ... all in one ... the kids and mommies can come earlier and you start cutting the hair at 7:00 (kids cutting = disaster) ... cutting on the actual birthday is important and he's a kid so kids should be there ... have FUN and start on the bar mitzva plans ... What

supermom

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 6:58 am
Anyone have any pictures from upshernishes that I could use some ideas how to set up and what to make?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics