Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Kiddish Fri. night between 6-7

RedVines

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 8:36 pm
Well, what do you do?

Make it on white wine...between those times?

Wait until 7 p.m?

I am asking because I am having 2 completly non observant families over, with kids, and I think, for them we should make it on white when my husband comes home from shul...

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 8:45 pm
We try to make kiddush before 6 if we can, because there is no way we would make it through the meal if we waited til after 7:00 If we missed 6:00 though and were having non observant guests we would most probably opt to make kiddush on white wine ,mevushal too, but of course you knew that Wink

raizy

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 9:46 pm
I know that some pple dont make kiddush betwheen six and seven what is the reason for it and what does it have to do with the color of the wine. maybe I will ask my hubby to clarify this for me.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 10:06 pm
I never heard about the color of the wine, either...
My father was sometimes makpid on the no kiddush between 6-7.
My husband is not.
If you're having guests (ESPECIALLY non-frum) I think it's more important to make kiddush and eat than to keep them waiting for an hour!! It's not HALACHA and you don't want them to give them a bad feeling that you kept them hungry

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Fri, Nov 18 2005, 12:07 am
Uh Oh... I might be getting myself into trouble here but anyhow.... here goes. From what I understand there is a Gemara in Shabbos or Sanhedrin that says that the planet of Mars rules between those hours. Mars rules blood and war therefore we avoid using red wine at that time.

Since it is better to use red wine for kiddush some people will not make kiddush between 6 and 7

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 9:40 pm
I thought it had something to do with Dovid Hamelech passing away during 6 & 7?
I asked my husband about Mars ruling...he said HASHEM RULES. Smile Mars is a chunk of dirty flying around, it doesn't rule. What is says in the gemara is not as simple as it seems

hisorerus

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 3:08 am
According to Chabad (maybe others too) the times are not exactly 6:00--7:00, it's dependent on your longitude- I.e. Israel is 5:40--6:40, NY is 5:54--6:54.

The reason why some don't make Kiddush then is because this time is "Mazal Ma'dim," and Samo'el rules it (no I don't know what that means).

Incidentally, it seems that making Kiddush promptly on returning home from Shul overrides avoiding making Kiddush during this "seventh hour," and it also seems that one could rely on the fact that "one who does a Mitzva is protected."

(source for this and rest of post, Kitzur Halachos MiShulchan Aruch Admu"r HaZaken, p.153-154, and relevant footnotes)

[Don't read the rest if you're not interested, it's pretty technical.]

Although there is a concept of Sha'os Zmanios, proportional (also referred to as "Halachik") hours, it is not relevant for this, as astronomical calculations (Mazalos) go by a fixed 60-minute hour. (Sha'os Zmanios are 1/12 of the day, between sunrise and sunset- right now it's about 48 minutes).

Therefore, the 6:00 that we refer to here is 6 hours after the "true" Chatzos (the exact center of a perfectly average day), or precisely 12:00 pm. However, the way time zones are set up is that a wide range of areas follow the same time. This means that there is a great variation in timing of "true Chatzos," as the average day in that area may be slightly earlier or later- BECAUSE the clock is set based on a different longitude.

It's not practical, obviously, for every degree longitudinally to have their own time zone (it's confusing enough as it is); but therefore, our true Chatzos is not usually exactly 12:00. By calculating the local longitude and its distance from the area the time zone is based on, you would discover that in Israel, "true Chatzos" is 11:40 am, and in New York, it's 11:54. This has nothing to do with distance from each other, rather distance from the arbitrary point (a longitude with an easy number) their time zone is based on.

1stimer

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 1:31 pm
what did you do mommyoftwo?

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 2:11 pm
there's a three page thread on this topic in the Judaism section:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....50a5b
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note