Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Vacation to NYC with 3 kids - advice

costanza

Post Sat, Jul 26 2008, 11:45 pm
We are thinking of taking a trip to NY for 4 days in August. Deciding what to do and more importantly, where to eat, is a bit overwhelming.

We know we want to take the girls to the American Girl store and my son can go to the NBA store down the street. We want to go to Times Square, Ground Zero, Rockefeller Plaza - all of the typical touristy things. What out of the way places can you recommend? Are there any good children's museums? And what restaurants are good for families without being over the top expensive?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 1:01 am
Are you planning to only visit places in Manhattan?

In the city, fun places for kids include the Toys 'R Us in Times Square (it has a ferris wheel inside) and/or FAO Schwartz (58th and 5th).

The Museum of the City of New York has a toy exhibit (see here for more info).

The Bronx Zoo is great, but if you don't have the time (or a car) to schlep out to the Bronx, there is a nice zoo in Central Park. Check out the Central Park Conservatory's website for events on the days you will be visiting. They often have walking tours or activities geared to kids.

If you want to do something really touristy you can go up to the top of the Empire State Building. A Circle Line cruise around Manhattan is nice (but the Staten Island Ferry is free). You can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and explore the Lower East Side and Chinatown. South Street Seaport is fun too.

costanza

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 7:59 am
Thanks for the tips.

What is at South Street Seaport?

And there are so many restaurants - it's hard to know which ones to go to. That is my vacation - not cooking. Any relatively cheap, family friendly places to recommend?

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:59 pm
micfri wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

What is at South Street Seaport?

And there are so many restaurants - it's hard to know which ones to go to. That is my vacation - not cooking. Any relatively cheap, family friendly places to recommend?

At the seaport there is a museum, and a museum on a boat. There are lots of shops, boutiques, and there is a Kosher Subways nearby which is more expensive than the ones in Brooklyn both due to rent and because it is under the supervision of the O-U.

To eat with a family in Manhattan you may want to stick with places like J-2 on Broadway and/or Kosher Delight. Another fleishig place--Mendy's has locations all around the city--

There is also an outdoor amusement park in Central Park for the summer (Victorian Gardens??)
Also, a visit to Grand Central Station is nice!

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:01 pm
Don't forget the Statue of Liberty!! The ferry leaves from Battery Park. In order to go inside the statue you'll need reservations at least a day in advance. You can book that online. Liberty Island and Ellis Island are really nice and pretty places to walk around on.

How old are your kids??

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:17 pm
If you want Jewish themed places try the Children's Museum in Crown Heights or the Living Torah Museaum for older kids -10 year old boys and up. Where will you be staying? We can give you restaurants in your area. Also check out Great Kosher Restaurant Magazine or it's web site. What kind of stuff do you like to do? There are pottery painting places, parks, zoos, rides, Teddy bear making, and lots more in diff. parts of Brooklyn or in Manhatten, so tell us where you'll be based so we can help.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:20 pm
There's tons of Jewish food in NY. You definitely won't starve.
It's funny that when you grow up in NY you have no clue what to tell a tourist to do there.
You'll definitely have fun. Take a trip on the subway. You'll love it.
I ♥ NY.

costanza

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:39 pm
Thanks everyone.

The kids are aged 12, 11 and 8. So they aren't babies, but I don't think that they'll love museums so much either.

We will be staying in Secaucus NJ, and there is a bus in to the city that drops you off at Port Authority. I'm thinking to get daily subway passes for $7/per person and try to use public transit.

If truth be told, I would love to be able to shop for myslef and my girls (ages 11 and 8) for my son's Bar Mitzvah next May and my daughter's Bat Mitzvah next August. I am hoping there might be end of season sales. My daughter could use extra outfits since she will have lots of Bat Mitzvah's next year. Any ideas for tznius but funky pre-teen clothing? Any good independent places in BP (or anywhere else) that are off the beaten path? And if you have any good shopping places for ladies that would be great.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:41 pm
I sent you a pm with a suggestion.

workingmom3

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:55 pm
If you are in NJ then def go to Liberty Science Center- kids that age love it!

heffer569

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 2:17 pm
For preteen and teen girl clothing go to teen boutique its on 16th ave and 45th on the corner in bp it has really nice stuff. Some is sometimes more expensive but I know when I passed their earlier this week their was a sign on the window that they are having a sale. you can also try wonderland in bp on 13th they have a teen section or the J stores have kids clothing and not to expensive. for women u can try brendas or elzee or talking fashion. Also on coney is a bunch of other places to shop.

costanza

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 2:54 pm
Thanks Heffer (I like your screen name).

Would you be able to PM me with addresses of those stores? Are they within walking distance of each other?

mom21n2

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 4:15 pm
If you want to be in a frum area when you shop, then go to Borough Park. I personally have found all of the stores in that area to be very expensive. Syms, which is located in midtown and downtown, often has decent clothes (you might have to search) at good prices. For a current list of kosher restaurants (with average prices) in NYC, go to www.nachas.org . For kids that age, go the Museum of Natural History, on the Upper West Side, and shop (or window shop) on Columbus Avenue. Central Park Zoo. FAO Schwartz. Rockefeller Center. Times Square.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 7:47 pm
For preteen shoppoing also try elzee on 13th ave and 45th street and exquisite on New utrecht and 53rd.

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 7:51 pm
workingmom3 wrote:
If you are in NJ then def go to Liberty Science Center- kids that age love it!

yeah- you can go to an imax show. Plus you can take the ferry over there. I think.
I have some vague memory of going on a ferry and liberty science center when I was dating dh...

levial

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:45 pm
I find knowing where the playgrounds are is extremely helpful. Search by address - figure out where the nearest one to the hotel, or a more adult activity where you stand in line (such as waiting to go up in the Empire state building...) is priceless - you sit and they run around...otherwise you get kids who want to jump on the bed because they've stood still all day in line.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub......html

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:25 pm
micfri wrote:

We will be staying in Secaucus NJ, and there is a bus in to the city that drops you off at Port Authority. I'm thinking to get daily subway passes for $7/per person and try to use public transit.

Secaucus has a big outlet mall, including Syms, Liz Claiborn, Eileen Fisher among others which I can't remember since I have not been there for 5 years. This is all outdoors, and without a car may be a bit of a shlep.
Jersey Garden, also an outlet, isn't so far from Secaucus. It's all indoors. I never liked this mall too much, but some people love it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries