Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Transit museum

avimom

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 8:04 pm
Has anyone been to the transit museum with kids? What ages is it for and is it boring?

zigi

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 8:09 pm
its really fun, I went twice once with a 2 year old and a 3 year old and then another when they were a few months older. they enjoyed it more when they were older. when they were younger they were running from one train to the other again and again. but when they were older they would spend some more time on each train.

the musuem has an exhibit on how they built the subway. they also have 3 buses where you can pretend to drive. one of them has places to sit in like a real bus. downstairs they old fashioned suwbay cars. they range from the begining of the ny suwbay to modern day trains.

mom4

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 8:31 pm
I went once with DH and I plan to take the kids too one of these days but it doesn't seem to be the type of place that will keep the kids interest for too long (it doesn't take that long to go through the whole museum altogether). Parking's not too bad and there's plenty of public transportation (also some good shopping like Macy's not far). The entrance actually looks like the entrance to the subway station and when we went DH and I couldn't figure out where the entrance was Smile ! Theres a small gift shop there too with some overpriced toys and chachkes having to do with transportation. There is a room at the end of the museum which looked like it might be interesting for kids with little tables and chairs - like a craft room - maybe find out when they have activities ~ that might make it more interesting for the kids. Personally, I like botanical gardens, prospect park zoo and the merry-go-round which are all virtually in the same place

avimom

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 8:44 pm
thanks! is there really parking there? I thought it might be hard there...

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:14 pm
Where is it?

mom4

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:21 pm
(can't figure out how to quote)
but...
yup! From my experience every time I go to that area (downtown brooklyn area) we find parking within a block (or two) of the place we're going. I wouldn't go there at night though - a bit seedy

zigi

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:53 pm
http://mta.info/mta/museum/

we went by train you can get off a borough hall. and when we went by car we foound parking pretty close to the museum.

bashinda

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 10:17 pm
We went there a year ago chol hamoed Pesach. It was perfect because DD#1 loves trains. She was 3 1/2 at the time and she loved it! She loved going on the bus and pretending to drive and running through all the old trains. (what's sad is that we didn't realize there was another floor until we had roamed around). I finally told DH "you'd think that since this is in a real train station there'd be some trains!" when he said "where do those stairs go to?"

If you think the seats on the subway trains in NY are small the ones they used to have 80 years ago are positively TEENSY!

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 9:28 am
DH is actually taking DS there this Friday afternoon for a father/son trip. Sounds like they'll enjoy it.

mama-star

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 9:39 am
we went once and had fun!

avimom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 9:49 pm
just wanted to update for people who are thinking of going:
We went, had a nice time, took the train there. They have a lot of stairs and no elevator so plan for that with a stroller, we ahd to do a lot of carrying.
There is no air conditioning in a large part of the building so I wouldn't recommend it on a hot day.
FOr kids who are interested in the way things work and/or in old things, this museum is great. Our two year old enjoyed it, but basically just ran around pretending to drive the trains and bus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries