Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
AHHHH! Need to vent my work problems!!!

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 10:52 am
Well, for those of you who read my work-from-home thread, thanks for your help!! The situation here where I work (and buba123, I plan to respond to your cruising and working thread) is getting ridiculous.
I've been working on a project since November. At that time, I was all by myself. in january a new employee here was put on my project PT, too. I went on maternity leave march and april. so another new person was put on the project then, too. so since may there have been 3 of us working on it. we've been trying to meet with the "higher authorities" here to see how far they want us to carry this project (it can stay in the small scope it is now, or can be HUGE and a big asset to the whole organization). the meetings have been pushed off and off again since the beginning of june. just one minute ago, one of the woman I work with told me that my immediate supervisor said that the project was "scrapped." GONE! DONE WITH! I can't believe it!!! well, really I can... that's just how things happen around here! so frustrating!!!!

I hope nobody actually read that whole long megillah... I just needed to vent... thanks... now I'll go back to "work" ... woops there's no work to be done anymore!.... I'll go back to "cruising"

queen

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 11:13 am
what.................?
the project you (plus crew) have been working on since november is literally out the door???!!??!?!!!!??
that is beyond frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarahd

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 12:09 pm
Arrggghh!!! Twisted Evil

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 12:18 pm
we have a mtg. tomorrow morn. to find out the FINAL details from the higher managers... we'll see what they have to say, but boy am I Exploding anger

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 7:43 am
to work on something and then see it evaporate, sounds awful, but let me ask you something - did you get paid all this time? you're working to support your husband in Kollel, right? So the bottom line is $$!

queen

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 10:53 am
even when one gets paid, regardless it is frustrating after putting so much energy and time/thought into a certain project.

keep us informed,
ok?
(or............. 'huh?')

LOLOLOLOL.

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 12:06 pm
of course I got paid, B"H! if people here didn't get paid for projects that "never made it," I don't think anyone would continue working here. there are so many projects that get "scrapped." yes, the bottom line is $$ for me, but it doesn't look so good for a resume when you don't have any completed projects!

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 1:40 pm
0613 wrote:
it doesn't look so good for a resume when you don't have any completed projects!

okay, so now you have a legitimate complaint to your boss!

Mommy912

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 2:18 pm
Quote:
okay, so now you have a legitimate complaint to your boss!

If you tell that to your boss then you will need that resume, usually bosses don't like to hear that you are looking elsewhere

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 3:30 pm
hmm, true, so she's supposed to accept this and not say anything even though this can affect her future?

any alternatives?

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 5:07 pm
When I was working in engineering it happened too that I would work on a project and in the end the owner wouldn't build it. But heah we got paid. we did our job but in the end they didn't do it. It would upset me that all that hard work was for nothing but then I reminded myself. That I did my job, and to not let it effect me that they scrapped the project. The Gov did it all the time. We would get paid like hundreds of thousands of dollars and then they didn't build the project. Yeah thats where some of your tax paying dollars go to.

Mommy912

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 5:27 pm
Projects can be posted on a resume even if you didn't finish, as long as you did a significant amount of work. Just list the project and how you contributed. If someone asks how it worked, and they most likely won't, say that it stopped for budgetary concerns. It's a common thing, it won't reflect badly on you. It is VERY FRUSTRATING when it happens. I have seen projects that were scrapped combined into others in a better way after a while has passed. So there is hope.

chen

Post Fri, Oct 28 2005, 5:10 am
Very frustrating, but at least you got paid. My dh is self-employed in a creative field. many times he works for days to put together a design, and then the potential client aborts the project , changes his mind about what he wants and asks for something completely different, or awards the account to someone else. DH does not get paid for the time he put in. How crummy is that? (And that is called "being your own boss". HA!)

Still--it is well-documented that people work for more than just a paycheck. there is professional satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment, too. When you work on a project, that project is like your baby. You have hopes for its success and a fruitful future. If it is rejected, interrupted or simply not used, you feel as if you did all that work for nothing. That's pretty crummy, too. When that sort of thing happens to me, I tell myself over and over, "what do I care? I got paid just the same."

(That's what my teachers in elementary school used to say whenever the class would act up:" I get paid whether you learn anything or not.")

lucky

Post Fri, Oct 28 2005, 6:25 am
chen wrote:

(That's what my teachers in elementary school used to say whenever the class would act up:" I get paid whether you learn anything or not.")

Yeah, many teachers have that attitude Exploding anger

ElTam

Post Fri, Oct 28 2005, 6:30 am
I just wanted to say that to go forward with a project that has no management support, or very real problems that are going to make it untenable down the road, is also frustrating, I can tell you from my own experience. Gam zu la'tovah.

Tefila

Post Fri, Oct 28 2005, 7:53 am
Quote:
That's what my teachers in elementary school used to say whenever the class would act up:" I get paid whether you learn anything or not.")
shock

Rivka

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 5:25 am
Working isn't only about getting paid, you have to have job satisfaction too and if you feel like a worthless dead end, then it is not going to motivate you to do anything more. I wonder why the bosses keep ditching the projects.

wonderer

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 3:30 pm
Pointless work is a torture
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics