Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What to do with 2yo

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 8:54 pm
I work very full time and my 2yo ds will be going to a playgroup that ends earlier. Last year I sent him to a babysitter with longer hours but now he is playgroup age and I am very happy abt sending him. he already went there in the summer for daycamp and he loved it. Every day after daycamp he would go home with my cousin's daughter who also goes there. My cousin had offered to take him every day for abt 3 hours in between daycamp and me getting home from work, not just for the summer but for the following school year. It is because of this that I sent him to this playgroup and ever thought to take him out of the babysitter (who I wasnt happy with but the hours were more convenient.)
When daycamp was almost over my cousin let me know that she cannot watch him for the coming year, that it is too much. I was quite annoyed, because I relied on her, but I did have someone else to ask and she said that she would do it. Then, the second person told me that she got an afternoon job for the coming school year and cannot take him. I called my cousin, who was originally supposed to watch him, and I asked her if there is any way for her to work it out since I am stuck. she answered that she is very sorry but her older daughter who is 10 is going to have a lot more homework this year and she will not be abe to watch my ds.
Now, I know it is not easy to watch another 2yo every single day, but fact is that I relied on her and I do not have anyone else to ask and I am really stuck. the only reason I ever took him out of the babysitter he was in was because of her offer to watch him. it is not an option for me to send him back there.
I do not know what to do.
is it extremely nasty of me to call her and tell her that I relied on her and I need her to take him since I do not have anyone else who can? (it will only be for 3 months because I am having a baby and I will be stopping to work in november)

anonymom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:36 pm
It's a tough situation. If she already said no twice, I don't see how you can ask again.

When I read your very last line, I thought, if your stopping anyway in 3 months, what about 1) either quitting your job now and looking for some part time work that is temporary and fits with the playgroup's schedule, or 2)is it an option to keep your current job, but work part time for the next 3 months?

Do you plan to go back to work after the baby?

When my kids were 2 and 3, I looked for daycare that was all the hours I worked so they would not have to go from one place to another without me, or if they were already used to a certain babysitter they would go from playgroup to that babysitter.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:38 pm
some playgroup teachers will keep some kids later at parents' requests. have you asked if you can leave the 2 yo there longer?

SingALong

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 10:22 pm
I am sorry that your plans didnt work out with your cousin but life is life and sometimes we cant rely on pther ppl, situations change, ppl change their minds, kids have other needs whatever. what can you do now without that cousin what are your other options? can you speak to the morah at that playgroup if there are any other working moms that have an after hours prgram or babysitter? maybe you can share? maybe another mom in the group will be willing to take him home with her everyday for some extra income?

additionally, I always see ads in my neighborhood circular of ppl looking to pay others to drive their kids from morning playgroup to afternoon babysitter/clubs/playgroup. you may want to do something like that since you are talking about a huge amount of time. or get a babysitter in your home at that time if it makes more financial sense.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics