Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Italy

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:43 pm
So in fact we're leaving again. In Italy.

We would be interested to know if you heard of any (decent Wink ) kosher restaurant in Turin, Milan, Venice? or around/suburbs, close towns, etc. If there is also something great to do, or a beautiful shul, or anything, I would love ideas.

We're not going further South because dh wants to "show" Mati where he comes from. LOL

Rivky

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:45 pm
Theres one in Venice-I think it's called Gam Gam. Pretty good.

sarahnurit

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 2:13 pm
Hey Ruchel, too bad you are not coming to visit this time...oh well next trip you will be our guest...
Anyway, there is a site called www.jewishitaly.org, where you can find all the jewish attractions in Italy, not only restaurants, but also kosher stores, museums, mikvahs, etc...
If you need any advice, pm me and we will talk about it...
About Gam Gam in Venice, I think that you should spend Shabbat there, they organize meals for all the tourists with a donation, and I think that it's a great experience, with the tables set outside on the side of the canal, the bachurim singing with the guests, good food for the body and the soul...I can tell you for sure because I learnt in Venice University, so I was by the Restaurant-Chabad house all the time, for 4 years, and I saw lots of people having a great time there...if you need help for lodging in Venice, I can give you the number of the shaliach there, he can get you a good deal in nice hotels...

jemappelle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 5:01 pm
The kosher restaurant in venice is gam - gam at the entrance to the ghetto. (boat stop right in front) The hechsher is from Milan. the food is quite good. they also serve shabbos meals, free of charge.
across the from that is a milchig bakery for a few groceries, baked cookies , pizza. a small grocery also opened inside the ghetto - they have yogurts etc.
The rabbi is rabbi rami banin and he can help you- the chabad minyan is inside the ghetto.
To do in Venice: visit st. marks square - feed the pigeons pop corn, go up the bell tower for an awesome view, take the secret tour of the dodge, island of murano for glassmaking, island of burano for lace making, there is another island which is a beach/bike riding. of course, if you want something pricey- gondola ride.

jemappelle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 8:13 pm
I cant believe, I forgot to mention, in venice- make sure to take the tour of the shuls- it is given starting from the jewish museum in the ghetto. you will find yourself in shuls over 500 years old!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 11:00 am
Sarahnurit, I hope one day we'll be able to meet!

Could you give me the shaliach's number? I'll make dh call because Italian is NOT my fort. Hotels are ultra expensive in Venice, it would be nice to get a deal!

hila

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 11:12 am
when we were in venice we rented an apartment for 3 nights instead of a hotel. It was lovely and inside teh Jewish ghetto. 2 minutes from the Pizza store or Gam Gam

http://www.knowital.com/veneto......html

And cheaper than a hotel and MUCH more space.

jemappelle

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 5:17 pm
we also rented an apartment, the chabad found it for us. Ruchel- the chabad rabbi there speaks english, his wife is american, the frum jews (non tourist) we met either speak english or hebrew so communication is generally not a problem. when we were there there were so many english speaking tourists as well.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:28 am
Ladies, we're leaving tomorrow early morning (or we'll try). lol
We'll be back in a big week. Anyone in Italy or Switzerland?

Aribenj

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:29 am
I like www.shamash.org It gives you kosher restaurants and supermarkets all around the world by city and/or country with reviews. You just have to call the number to make sure they are open and to check the hashgacha.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 12:34 pm
I'm back!

It rocked!

I need to say that most phone numbers and many adresses of restaurants (and mikves) in many countries on these sites are wrong though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics