Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Paris

ffbmom

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 9:19 am
My ds needs to go to Paris on business. We were discussing how it's not so safe for Jews there any more. Can anyone tell me what's really going on? We don't want to base everything on what we hear in the media. Is it safe to wear a kippah or look "Jewish"? Also, any recommendations as to hotels, restaurants, etc. I think he's going in the fall.

pacifier

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 11:27 am
there are some neighbourhoods and suburbs where it's better not to go. also , it can be dangerous to be out at night, plus anywhere in france, you have to hold your belongings, no putting your bag on the side, ...
still, a lot of people wear their kippa, look jewish...
it's better to not look scared.
as for restaurants, it will depend on which area of paris your son has to go. I'm sure you can find a list of kosher restaurants online.

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 11:48 am
We have a Parisien out here, princess Ruhel, I am sure she can tell you a lot...

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 12:37 pm
Ok last year dh and I went to Paris for a few days in the summer. We stayed at the Hotel: AIDA OPERA Best Western on 11 Rue Richer - 17 Rue du Conservatoire. It's a Jewish area near the Opera. The rooms were nice and there is a kosher breakfast. There are a few restaurants near there. But one restaurant I would recommend to anyone is the Indian restaurant Darjeeling (Kosher Rav Rottenberg) 1, rue des Colonels Renard 75017 near the Arc de Triomphe.

As for safety last year dh walked around with beard, yamulka and Tzitzis out. We had nothing done to us and people where very friendly but this is a year ago a lot can happen in that time. We used the Metro late at night as well. Ask Ruchel for her advice.

Hope this helps and hope he has a good successful trip.

ffbmom

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 4:56 pm
WOW!! This information is really helpful. I'll ask Ruchel also since everyone else says she lives there. Thanks a ton.

ffbmom

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 9:03 am
Reviving. Anyone else have any info on Paris? Ds will be in Suresnes, France (Rue Solomon de Rotshchild). Is this close to Jewish area? Any recommendations for Shabbos? Hotels and/or restaurants?

hannah95

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 9:29 am
Hello

We live right on the outskirt of Paris but have live many happy years in Paris. We never had a problem with our look, my husband wears kippa and tsitsits everywhere. As for the streimel look, you might get some people looking at you, but nothing bad. It's a safe place, of course I would recommend sticking to the main areas of tourism and jewish area for a really safe experience.

For food, I don't know what hashgara you are eating but you'll find many restaurants to accomodate you, from sushis to indian to french to grilled meat to israeli to eastern europe food to sepharadi food ... We are lucky to have a very active community on the eating front. I don't know how you feel about tv and music, but please note that most restaurant especially the not expensive type have music or tv screens inside them.

To find restaurant I use : http://www.mangercasher.com which is an online database of casher restaurants in France. You can pick by hashgara too.

As for Suresnes, which is like 4 km away from Paris, here is the info I found on the Paris Rabbanut website :
Synagogue : schul
1 avenue Gustave Stresemann 92150 SURESNES
Tel : 01 47 49 07 39 06 23 35 08 30
E-mail : ajse@hotmail.fr ou davidohayon@hotmail.com

You could probably email them to ask them specific questions. Please feel free to pm me if you need translation in french, but I think you can write to them in hebrew.

For Shabbat, I would be honored to welcome in our family, we live in a frum town that is called "the small yeroushalaim" by the french, with a very active shabbat : many shuls to chose from and many chiourims and things to do. But I warn you, most of frum jews in french are sepharadi, so you might have to adapt a little Smile

Please ask more questions if you need, I hope this trip will be perfect.

Hannah

jemappelle

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 8:44 pm
we (family, friends) wear caps over kipah in france & even switzerland, nothing has happened when we havent but -- its not that we are wearing caps so that we dont look jewish- the men still look jewish, and everyone realizes this, its more not to bring attention to ourselves and sort of "be in their face" with the kipah showing.

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 6:51 am
jemappelle wrote:
we (family, friends) wear caps over kipah in france & even switzerland, nothing has happened when we havent but -- its not that we are wearing caps so that we dont look jewish- the men still look jewish, and everyone realizes this, its more not to bring attention to ourselves and sort of "be in their face" with the kipah showing.

We went around paris, with dh looking obviously Jewish. All that happened is that we were approached by lots of Jewish people. some even wanted to put on tefillen. (at the top of the eiffel tower, alas we didn't have them with us)

Apple pie

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 10:56 am
Raisin wrote:
We went around paris, with dh looking obviously Jewish. All that happened is that we were approached by lots of Jewish people. some even wanted to put on tefillen. (at the top of the eiffel tower, alas we didn't have them with us)

That's a nice story!

ffbmom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 4:29 pm
Wow! What a nice story. Ds will be working during the day in Paris. Any good Paris tourist spots/tours to visit in the late afternoon/evening?

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 4:44 pm
[quote="ffbmom"]Wow! What a nice story. Ds will be working during the day in Paris. Any good Paris tourist spots/tours to visit in the late afternoon/evening?[/quote

he can check online, but I think the eiffel tower is open late. not really so touristy, but we stumbled upon a really beautiful park in paris, in the 19th arrondisement, Jardin Buttes de Chaumont. It is close to lots of kosher resturants.

ffbmom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 6:06 am
Thanks, Raisin. Is the metro safe at night? Cabs better? BTW, does anyone know the value of the Euro these days?

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 6:13 am
ffbmom wrote:
Thanks, Raisin. Is the metro safe at night? Cabs better? BTW, does anyone know the value of the Euro these days?

we took the metro at night, no problems.

€1 is $1.47

(omg, I remember when the euro first came out they were both worth the same amount!)

fleetwood

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 6:51 am
I went twice to Paris and both times my husband worked during the day. On my own I bought a museum pass and took the metro all over without a problem. If I'm not mistaken I think the Louvre had a late night. We also did a long of working a long the siene. We also had all our Shabbos meals at Les Ailes, it was very nice. I think on those trips I ate the most I ever have in my life.

pacifier

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 7:47 am
[quote="Raisin"]
ffbmom wrote:
Wow! What a nice story. Ds will be working during the day in Paris. Any good Paris tourist spots/tours to visit in the late afternoon/evening?[/quote

he can check online, but I think the eiffel tower is open late. not really so touristy, but we stumbled upon a really beautiful park in paris, in the 19th arrondisement, Jardin Buttes de Chaumont. It is close to lots of kosher resturants.

don't stay in this park when it gets dark....

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 3:45 pm
Quote:
Is it safe to wear a kippah or look "Jewish"?

Kippa and tzitzis and magen David/ Israeli flag should be avoided in Islamic and gangs areas!
The rest will not be associated with jewish.

I’m a bit paranoid and as a woman I don’t use the metro late at night in case I end up alone in a corner with a loony… but a solid guy, not problem.

Apart from that you had better answers that I could give because I really don't know Suresnes!

The Buttes Chaumont is full of yidden too, but for sure when it gets dark (and personally even at day) I'm not comfortable around it. Many gangs. If the police is there, it's ok.
Remember the Buttes Chaumont is in the 19th arrondissement, NOT a good place!

ffbmom

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 3:44 pm
Oh, one more question. Anyone know of good shuls to attend, ones that have minyanim for Shacharis and Mincha, close to Holiday Inn Opera 38 Rue De l'Echiquier? Anything else close by?

BTW, thanks everyone for all your great advice.

ffbmom

Post Sat, Aug 30 2008, 11:23 pm
Any advice on frum shuls in the area of Holiday Inn Opera in Paris? Thank you so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics