Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend of your kids

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:53 am
It's that time of year again where kids need everything. Clothing for school, school shoes, shabbos shoes, Yomim tovim clothing, briefcases, etc. Do you buy everything at once or do you shop month by month so that it's less money spent at a time even though in the end it's the same money spent? Also do you have a limit for each child or each child you spend differently? I'm looking for ideas on how to buy my kids what they need but how to save also?

supermommy

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:56 am
I save up during the year for this major spending season and if I didn't save enough I use my credit card.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:00 am
No kids yet, but I find some things to be true about all shopping. If I buy everything at once, I really do spend much more because I have no patience to look for bargains, plus you are not likely to find bargains all at the same time. But some things are seasonal and must be bought. Try buying school supplies in the big stores like target or walmart at the end of the school year (although still pretty cheap now). I would stagger the shopping to be able to find bargains.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:03 am
I rarely, if ever, spend during the "spending season". All year long in the U.S. I would pick up things on sale and when school started the kids certainly had what to wear, but it wasn't always new for school. Now in Israel, there is nothing to buy besides books etc because people don't go on buying sprees for wardrobes etc. Shoes usually get bought sometime around the chagim or after, depending on the weather. Otherwise it's sandals and the same clothes they wore last year.
I would never ever buy something as expendable as clothing if it would harm our household budget, nor would I ever buy something such as clothing with borrowed (read: credit card) money. No money = no shopping. Goodwill and other second-hand stores are great when you don't have enough money to pay for new things easily.

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:29 am
I buy when there is a sale. I buy ahead. so its a lot less money at one time. this season all I had to buy was shoes for my toddler. of course there was a really good sale in gymboree with gymbucks. so I bought another pair of pants and a sweater and 2 tshirts and a skirt. I also bought for next year for dd b/c everything was so cheap. skirts for 10$!

if I buy when I see something on sale I can spend 3$ on a shirt at old navy, which is the same price as goodwill. it might not be up to date but a navy blue shirt doesn't go out of style.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:41 am
I get them weeekday shoes for $90 bucks each. I'm waiting for the shabbos shoes to come in-I'm those will be more. Then a shabbos outfit for $100 each. Then weekday clothes I try to get good prices. Will take it slowly...

Marion

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:50 am
I buy as they need it, unless I happen to hit a really good sale. My kids are still small, and their great-grandmother still takes great pleasure in bringing them clothes from the US (although I notice that the batches are getting smaller as the sizes are getting bigger). My sisters also like to spoil their nephews (right now they're the only ones, so we'll see how that develops later). But I gage pricing on end-of-season stuff, and refuse to spend over a certain amount on a single piece of clothing.

SingALong

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:06 am
so last year at the end of the winter I got my 4 yr old DD 2 winter outfits, she has a uniform so doesnt need more than that. also, I got her uniform jumpers in june, her shirts in august, just got expensive school shoes last week but went to children's place for the shabbos shoes. Tom tov I may be in israel so she will wear her summer stuff anyways and I'll buy her a winter shabbos outfit after yom tov hopefully on sale. I'll also buy her tights after succos, and winter boots...I really tried to spread out the expenses.

my mil bought her a nice jumper for shabbos so that can also go 4 rosh ahshana-succos and some school supplies.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:12 am
I bought hardly any new school clothes this year. my kids uniform is plain grey trousers or blue skirt, white shirt, and a cardigan/jumper with the school crest. the plain stuff I can get in any store that sells uniform, and they are often buy 2 get one free this time of year anyway. The PTA in my school also sells second hand school uniforms so I buy a lot of that.

But books and stuff needs to be new. Almost all my kids schoolbooks are not reusable, so you can't even get them second hand. Exploding anger

I didn't get school shoes, I had them all measured and only got shoes for the one who needed it, cause his old ones are too small. I try and get plain black shoes that will be good for shabbos and school.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:23 am
zigi wrote:
I buy when there is a sale. I buy ahead. so its a lot less money at one time. this season all I had to buy was shoes for my toddler. of course there was a really good sale in gymboree with gymbucks. so I bought another pair of pants and a sweater and 2 tshirts and a skirt. I also bought for next year for dd b/c everything was so cheap. skirts for 10$!

if I buy when I see something on sale I can spend 3$ on a shirt at old navy, which is the same price as goodwill. it might not be up to date but a navy blue shirt doesn't go out of style.

I just did this for dd, tons of clothing for next summer from Marshalls and TJMaxx- brand names at ridiculous prices because they were all on clearance. Tshirts and shorts and dresses for $2-3-4-5!!!!! I also like to buy pj's from baby gap when they go on sale. I just bought a few pairs for under $5 each in a few different bigger sizes.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:28 pm
this year my older dd is still the same size she was last fall. her yom tov outfits still fit. I think I am looking for one blouse for her. I got her 2 skirts this summer & the rest of her tops fit. she needs shoes, but I need to wait until her cast comes off. this time next year she'll be wearing uniform. I can't wait!

my younger dd has tons of hand me downs from dd #1. I had to buy her some pants b/c she is much shorter at this age than my older daughter was. she also needed shoes & a fall jacket. but that's about it. I'm feeling very lucky right around now.
I didn't save any money though b/c this was my first summer pregnancy. I also seem to be carrying bigger even though I don't weigh more. this is kind of problematic as I see another shopping spree in my future.

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 3:10 pm
The funny thing about having 4 boys is that my sister and sils think of me while they're emptying out their boys' dressers and closets from the clothing that no longer fits. Hey, if it's in good condition I'll take it. Smile

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 3:58 pm
Preparation is the key. We buy new when the old is outgrown. For the new school year, I do feel sentimental about a fresh pair of shoes. So all summer long I’m on the lookout for sales and I always find! This year I found on amazon.com for free shipping too. I don’t like to shop all at once, it’s ridiculous and can wear you down so much financially. Just get one nice new thing for each kid and leave it at that. You can accumulate more after Yom Tov.

april

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 4:55 pm
I am able to save a lot of money by getting 2nd hand clothing. If you city has a gamach, try it out. If it doesn't start one or try to get space in a shul to start one. I helped start one and people were very generous. Most people would rather their used clothes go to other frum families than to goodwill. By using hand-me-downs and gamachs, I've only had to buy underwear and shoes for my kids and they look just as stylish as the new things. In fact, much of the things I get are still new, people just don't want them for whatever reasons. so if you are on a budget and are not into bargain shopping - I highly recommend finding a gamach near you or starting one. Also, its environmentally friendly to buy used.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 6:07 pm
DS - bought new uniform shirts because he got new pants that he wore in May & June & that's it. DD - needs a uniform for the 1st time so I bought 2 jumpers & 4 shirts (they're very cheap) & DS will continue wearing summer clothes until it gets cold & then I have hand me downs from my older one so I only need to add a few more pants & t-shirts for him. The baby needs all new stuff but I found a bunch of things at Target & Babys r us. What's gonna be expensive is Shabbos outifts & shoes for everyone.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 6:43 pm
I bought my kids 4 pairs of StrideRite shoes (Shabbos and chol) at the outlet mall for a total of $100. It seems crazy to me to spend $100 on just one pair.

I also spent $150 on their clothes at the outlet. I didn't buy shabbos clothes yet but outfits by Bonnie Jean run $25-$50 a piece, so I won't be spending that much.

Winter pajamas cost another $50. That is one thing I don't skimp on because I'd rather keep the heat down at night and save a few hundred or more and spend on good pajamas to make sure the kids are warm.

I get school supplies at staples. I don't need them for my kids yet, but since I teach I keep a bunch for my kids (public school, I don't need them using the excuse that they don't have a binder so they can't do the work.) So binders were 25 cents a month ago, pencils were a penny, right now pencil sharpeners, erasers, and folders are free. You can always get cheap notebooks and rulers... I really can't see spending more than $15 per child on supplies, and that's really generous.

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 7:25 pm
I think it depends where you live. DS and DD needed uniforms so I bought those. In addition their school sends out a big list of school supplies. When I lived in NY there were no mandated school supply lists. I think every state is different. I haven't thought too hard about Yomtif but I live in Florida so there aren't any seasons so there is no rush to buy clohtes unless they grow out of them.

alpidarkomama

Post Sat, Aug 30 2008, 11:40 pm
I troll ebay and the Good Will outlet (clothes by the pound!) for good deals all year long, including future sizes. I rarely spend more than $15 for a shabbos outfits (and they have some REALLY nice outfits). Our clothing budget (not counting shoes) is $50/month for a family of 6 (kids are all 5 and under). We get my husband really good shoes (plantar fasciitis), I wear the same shoes for YEARS, and we get the oldest daughter and son 2 pairs of shoes when they get to a new size (either buy if needed, or cull from hand-me-downs). I never put anything on a credit card, except for convenience and we know we will pay it off in full when the bill comes. No money, no clothes. Period. And NOBODY would say our family looks frumpy. Smile Smile Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics