Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dressing Girls
Previous  1  2

At what age do you start putting on skirts and dresses on your girls?
As soon as they start walking?  
 13%  [ 5 ]
Right Away?  
 33%  [ 12 ]
From 1 Year?  
 5%  [ 2 ]
From 2 years?  
 22%  [ 8 ]
Only when they cant wear pants anymore?  
 25%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 36

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:46 pm
PrettyInPink wrote:
Mother of a lot of girls here Smile
I'll only put dresses on them when they're walking, and that's not all the time, I still dress them in pants until the season before they turn 3 (this way I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe by their birthday) On Shabbat once they're walking I like a dress, that's just my prefrence, I feel it's more Shabbosdig.

Ruchel, this day and age MO ortherdox schools DO NOT allow pants after nursery MAYBE kindergarten. They have a regular dress code, skirts covering the knee, they're not makpid about long sleeves until High School, but you're never allowed sleeveless, or wear leggings under a skirt, and you always have to wear sock (not high socks, but some kind of ankle sock). High school is stricter, you need to cover the collarbone, elbows, must wear stockings ,everything.
this is a MO high school? I never had to wear long sleeves and I never had to wear stockings. I had to cover my elbow and I could wear little socks.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:56 pm
Quote:
Ruchel, this day and age MO ortherdox schools DO NOT allow pants after nursery MAYBE kindergarten. They have a regular dress code, skirts covering the knee, they're not makpid about long sleeves until High School, but you're never allowed sleeveless, or wear leggings under a skirt, and you always have to wear sock (not high socks, but some kind of ankle sock). High school is stricter, you need to cover the collarbone, elbows, must wear stockings ,everything.

Sorry, I just checked again. "In this day and age", the stam MO schools in France do not have dress codes except being "normal", and the MO machmir enforce skirts at bas mitzva and pants not being tight. I am pretty sure it is the same in MOST European places, according to the looks of the girls who go out of the schools I've passed by.

Leggings here, I see even among the charedi as long as the skirt covers the knee. What's the problem... it's actually frummer to wear leggings under a skirt, in case there is wind.
Socks are never mentioned out of charedi circles, where tights/knee socks are strongly encouraged if not mandatory.

What you describe sounds just plain frum (but weird, focusing on socks before elbows is unheard of here) before high school, charedi in high school.

By long sleeves I assume you mean covering the elbows? Many people on this board call this "long". If you mean reaching the wrist, then... huh... I don't want to know what is ultra Orthodox there...

cubbie

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:56 pm
I didn't vote as none were relevent for me. I have 2 dd's 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. Both have only worn dresses on shabbat from a month. (we didn't get any newborn dresses as gifts, but got a few 0-3 dresses, so I saved them for shabbat, and continued from there). My older dd is a very girly-girl and decided for herself at around age 2 that she doesn't wear pants anymore only skirts and dresses because she doesn't want to be a boy and only boys wear pants, so that was that. Even in the snow last year she wouldn't wear sweats under a skirt, just tights. My younger dd will probably stop by 3 as I have some 2T pants that never got bought, but from 3T I only bought skirts so I won't go out specially to buy them. When I asked the rav that dh learns with (who is sefardi chareidi from geula) he said that by age 6.

PIP

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:57 pm
I went to a MO school that was the dress code, as was most schools I knew.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:02 pm
PrettyInPink wrote:
I went to a MO school that was the dress code, as was most schools I knew.

Ok, this is a good example for the thread where I said that Europeans hesitate to marry Americans because of the step to the right! LOL

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:43 pm
I went to an MO school and they were very strict. we weren't allowed to wear socks, but only tights, and our skirts had to be flared and not straight... no dangling earings, youname it, I can't remember the rest off hand buttheprinciple was very makpid on znius, even though the shool was MO, (actually it wasn't so bad in my days but it was going down but now the school is soo modern Sad )

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:56 pm
what exactly was modern? even the machmirest MO I know, who are fully tznius, do it "naturally", without an emphasis on it...

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 3:29 pm
I voted "as soon as she is walking" but my daughter did wear a dress to my cousin's wedding when she was 2 weeks old and my baby will probably wear a dress to my brothers bar mitzvah next week but I didnt start dressing my daughter in dresses on a daily basis until she was cruising and eventually walking. The skirt/dress rides up and it doesnt look good until they are walking.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 4:40 pm
My only daughter is 10 years old, so I don't really remember, but skirts Rolling Laughter Question , jumpers or dresses. They don't have hips. I still prefer her to wear jumpers instead of skirts, but she is already 10 Rolling Eyes . She has been wearing skirts since she was around 5, otherwise, jumpers or dresses.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 11:28 pm
[quote="ShakleeMom"]she will be wearing skirts her whole life! give her a break... same for 18 month old boys with shabbos suits![/quot
when they HAVE TO wear it it's not cute anymore...I LOVE to put on my daughter mature stuff like vests and boots!!! YUMMMMM..

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 11:31 pm
She wears skorts in the summer time and in the winter pants. I think at age two she'll maybe start wearing dresses.

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 12:04 am
[quote="amother"]
ShakleeMom wrote:
she will be wearing skirts her whole life! give her a break... same for 18 month old boys with shabbos suits![/quot
when they HAVE TO wear it it's not cute anymore...I LOVE to put on my daughter mature stuff like vests and boots!!! YUMMMMM..

I like the way little boys look in suits, and my boys like it too. They want to look just like totty.

Fox

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 12:15 am
Ruchel wrote:
Leggings are good to play without scraping the knees.

My girls are all teenagers now, but I remember the "Hanna Andersen" look was very in vogue during the 90s. Lots of loose cotton knit dresses and coordinating leggings. Of course, I could never have afforded the real Hanna Andersen stuff, but I used to buy leggings and make dresses similar to the more expensive versions. The legging solution was great -- they could play to their hearts' content without worrying about their dresses' flying up. It was also a great way to coax another few months out of a dress that was getting a little too short!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 5:23 am
miriamnechama wrote:
I went to an MO school and they were very strict. we weren't allowed to wear socks, but only tights, and our skirts had to be flared and not straight... no dangling earings, youname it, I can't remember the rest off hand buttheprinciple was very makpid on znius, even though the shool was MO, (actually it wasn't so bad in my days but it was going down but now the school is soo modern Sad )
I guess every modern high school is different. we had no rules about earlings and we were aloud to wear any skirt as long as it covered our knees, that was it and we did not have to wear tights, we were aloud to wear socks.

mumsy23

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 9:42 am
I think OP was asking about skirts/dresses in terms of the practicality of it verses the 'cuteness' and not neccessarily from a tznius point of view - thats why this is in the fashion and beauty sections.

challi

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 12:11 pm
dd is almost 3. she'll be 3 in the late fall, so I'm just not going to buy her anymore pants for the cold winter only dresses. But until now I way prefered putting her in pants, it so much better for strollers and car seats, otherwise the strapps rub and cause rashes. On Shabbos she only has dresses, a ew for the weekday.

I did put her dresses before she walked, but they were short and didn't get in the wayof crwling
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics