Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Plainview ny

ffbmom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 7:07 pm
anyone have any experience with Plainview, NY? Restaurants, shuls, where to stay etc.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 7:09 pm
I do--a bit. We have some (not frum) relatives there but they do live in close vicinity to the Young Israel, mikvah, kosher pizza store...what do you need to know?

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 8:32 pm
hey - I have relatives there too ... maybe we're related Wink

Ima'la

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 2:30 am
Why would you go to Plainview for vacation? Not really a tourist spot.

ffbmom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 5:28 pm
I need to go on a business trip and was told Plainview was the closest spot that is halfway Jewish/frum. Is the hechsher of the pizza shop 100%? What is in Plainview? Any supermarkets? stores? shuls? What is the closest airport?

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:30 pm
ffbmom wrote:
I need to go on a business trip and was told Plainview was the closest spot that is halfway Jewish/frum. Is the hechsher of the pizza shop 100%? What is in Plainview? Any supermarkets? stores? shuls? What is the closest airport?

I'd imagine the closest airport is JFK. It's not really all that far out on Long Island.
There is a Young Israel with a kosher mechitzah if that's what you're looking for. There are stores--of course, it is a typical Long Island "town" For groceries, there are 2 shoprites in Plainview and at least one of them has a "Kosher Experience" department.
I won't answer about the hechsher of the pizza shop being 100% acceptable only because that's more of a personal question. I'm not sure what the hechsher is (offhand) but I do know that I've had food from there on numerous occasions. I believe there is also a glatt kosher deli.

There is a lot of shopping (food) and other neighborhood resources listed on the Young Israel's website. You could probably also email someone through the site as well to ask all your questions too.

http://www.yiplainview.com/

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:38 pm
Hunki's is the pizza shop - it's a good hechsher - 100% - it's under the queens vaad. I don't know about any deli - I haven't heard of one. There is a Young Israel with a mechitza as you heard - it's pretty modern, but orthodox.

As for airport, what about the one all the way out on Long Island? My friend took a plane there - I never did because JFK and La Guardia were closer, but it is an option. Where are you coming from?

cookielady

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:39 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Hunki's is the pizza shop - it's a good hechsher - 100% - it's under the queens vaad. I don't know about any deli - I haven't heard of one. There is a Young Israel with a mechitza as you heard - it's pretty modern, but orthodox.

As for airport, what about the one all the way out on Long Island? My friend took a plane there - I never did because JFK and La Guardia were closer, but it is an option. Where are you coming from?

Do you mean the airport in Islip?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:56 pm
yup

ffbmom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 10:28 pm
WOW! What a great website! You guys are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks a ton for all the info.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 10:53 pm
there's definitelya glatt kosher deli - had some last year ...

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 11:42 pm
Isnt far rockaway closer to jfk than plainview? what about howard beach? Why davka plainview?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 11:54 pm
That's true. Why Plainview? Where are you going to be? We might be able to give you some better options...

smily

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 1:39 am
If you are near jfk then Far Rockaway and five towns is close and alot of stores shuls etc. The airport in
Islip is quite far out.

Ima'la

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 3:53 pm
I'm assuming that if Plainview was recommended, your business needs are further east. If your business needs are west of Plainview, there might be better options.

cookielady

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 11:25 pm
5 towns area has alot more to offer than plainview.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics