Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Classroom management- what works?

ffbmom

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 7:31 am
I have been teaching many years (nonfrum Jewish school), and have never really experienced classroom management issues. This year, however, I seem to have a really chatty class and we're going nowhere fast. Anything that works? I hate those token systems, but anything else I'm willing to try. Any ideas of what worked for you? I do not have one behaviour problem, just a whole class that does not listen, with a few exceptions.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 7:40 am
ffbmom wrote:
I have been teaching many years (nonfrum Jewish school), and have never really experienced classroom management issues. This year, however, I seem to have a really chatty class and we're going nowhere fast. Anything that works? I hate those token systems, but anything else I'm willing to try. Any ideas of what worked for you? I do not have one behaviour problem, just a whole class that does not listen, with a few exceptions.

my class is pretty well behaved this year bh except for one little terror. But I started a homework incentive chart which is working pretty well. Usually I have individual charts but this time I split them into two teams, and they love it. and most of them are doing their homework. Very Happy I also use them for work done in school, davening, whover gets their books out first etc - not so much as I could becauser they are pretty good anyway.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:04 am
Don't wait for quiet. Walk in and start doing an activity--not lecturing. Don't take attendance first thing--get the kids OUT of their seats and solving problems/collecting data from around the classroom or school building.

You could try the hand-clapping or snapping thing--where you clap out half a rhythm and then expect the class to finish it for you.

Emee

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:25 am
I use homework coupons basically each day I give out 1-2 coupons to students who are behaving well and it entitles them to a night of no homework. I also tell them it is up to them when to use it. That way if one night the homework is really easy they may want to save the coupon for a more challenging assignment. etc. It seems to be working wonders so far!

lamplighter

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 11:29 am
im not sure u mentioned an age group but this is an idea. basically u have a group incentive/reward system, lets say like a jelly bean jar, u give beans every oonce in a while etc...then on ur board u have a thermometer type of thing that goes from 1-8 u move it up and down depending on whas ogin on in the class talaking, listening etc, at the end of th edya the place it ends up is how many extra jelly beans they get. it works because they see the effect/reaction of theri behavior.

shayna82

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 11:40 am
out of the blue pick a girl that is listening and give her something. 5 points towards a test, a free homework pass. you didnt mention what grade, so the prizes/incentives might have to be on a more age level- but once they see that the listening quiet ones are getting something, they will be inclined to listen.

I do this wtih my kids at home and it works!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 11:44 am
this works, but I don't know what age you are teaching. when they start to get loud, continue teaching, but lower your voice. continue to speak calmly. they will have to stop talking to hear you. tell them you won't compete. it may take until you test them on material they couldn't hear over their own voices, but it will work eventually.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics