Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Social studies and Jewish history

sarab

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 8:36 pm
Has anyone taught social studies and brought in info on what was happening in the Jewish world?

morahaviva

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:18 pm
Interesting question - as a student I was always very confused - I thought everything biblical was prehistoric since no teacher ever brought in info about what was going on in the world. Even as an adult I didnt follow... but my son got Berel Weins books and I tore thru them, constantly saying, "OHHHHHHH" it just made so much make so much sense!! So I say - GO FOR IT!!

roze22

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 12:12 am
ive taught public school social studies, and add in jewish history where appropriate. I always do a section on Israel/India for World History. I have also taught a modern Jewish history class, which included a variety of jewish issues, both historical and modern

Motek

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 1:18 pm
useful:

Codex Judaica Chronological Index of Jewish History by Mattis Kantor

The Jewish Time Line Encyclopedia: A Year-by-Year History From Creation to the Present by Mattis Kantor

Mommyholic

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:42 pm
I sure do. If you're teaching in a Jewish school, why should your students not know where their own history is up to in context with the rest of the worl?

baschabad

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:50 pm
I just when through an incredible amount of research on navi and came up with this:
http://www.chinuch.org/item_de.....dir=Y

A great resource if you want to see a timeline that charts the Jewish AND secular events, in both year forms.

SingALong

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 12:03 am
when u say social studies do tou mean only US history since columbus? or do you mean world history in general?
when I learnt social studies in elementary, I dont recall any mention of jewish life then, maybe once when learning about life after WW II how so many jews Messed to US. as I got older I really enjoyed reading books about jews in america before that time. I gues there aren't that many stories, probably since so many ppl. became not frum, very hard in america then. but there are so many things to mention like touro synagouge, who built it , when, and why jews immigrated to US and when, wehre did they go in US, and why? liek was there a rabbi they went to or did they follow parnasa?
I imagine that you also need to follow govt. guideline for the govt. testing at end of year, so I dont know if all the jewish history applies...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics