Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
The Joy of Cooking

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 12:57 pm
I just bought this cookbook (for $2.50...Half.com rocks!), and I am sort of intimidated! The more I read, the more I realize that I really have no idea what I am doing in the kitchen, despite managing to pass off pretty decent food to my family and friends. LOL Confused

So. Anyone have any favorite recipes, ideas, etc that I can start with?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 1:09 pm
The Joy of Cooking is an excellent book to have around as a reference book. If there is something that you don't have a clue about how to prepare you can always look it up there. Not too many kosher recipes in it though. But it's a great tool for learning about cooking.

mandksima

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 1:49 pm
I have many many cookbooks and use The Joy of Cooking very frequently! I'm pretty good at adapting non-kosher recipes into kosher ones (Well, maybe I'd have a hard time with ham infused shrimp kabobs with cream sauce but I really haven't tried that one...)

Anyway, I always take the basic recipes from there - alfredo sauce, onion soup, lentil soup, meatloaf, almost any cake or cookie that uses oil, different breads, etc. I don't think anything has been bad if it is a regular dish. I don't find it a terribly creative cookbook and I use the fancier kosher ones for great presentation and unique salads and such.

I always use it for reference. It is like the internet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics