Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What's your experience with tuition breaks?

anon

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:07 pm
I'm curious what the story is with tuition breaks, and I'd like to know your experiences. In discussing places to live, most ppl focus on the cost of houses and real-estate taxes. But while some places have cheaper housing, the tuition prices are crazy. The answer I hear is that you can get a tuition break.

But my question is, do schools give tuition breaks if the mother isn't working full-time? I have heard some ppl say that the school will tell you outright that both parents need to work full-time in order to quality for a scholarship. That seems a little extreme. Someone else told me that they won't TELL you that the mother needs to work full-time, but they won't give you the scholarship that you need. So you need to make the deduction on your own that you need to work full-time. At the same time, I see families where the mother only works part-time, and I'm sure that they get some breaks in tuition.

So what's the story?

Oh, and when you respond, can you please state where you live? It would help to understand the responses. Thanks!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 12:07 am
I am in Baltimore. I am a stay at home mom and got a tuition break of $2000. The topic of my employment (or lack thereof) never came up on the forms. My experience with the whole process has been positive.

Cdlf

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 8:58 am
Tuition and breaks are never in the same sentence where I come from!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:00 am
difr wrote:
Tuition and breaks are never in the same sentence where I come from!

Yes, it does...Tuition breaks the bank!! LOL

anon

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
I am in Baltimore. I am a stay at home mom and got a tuition break of $2000. The topic of my employment (or lack thereof) never came up on the forms. My experience with the whole process has been positive.

What does tuition cost in baltimore (for boys and girls)? In some places, a $2000 break is laughable because tuition costs $15,000!

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:03 am
One school my son went to a few years back broke up the tuition into 12 months instead of ten. I don't think they asked for my employment status.
It was in NY.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:52 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
One school my son went to a few years back broke up the tuition into 12 months instead of ten. I don't think they asked for my employment status.
It was in NY.

The school my kids go to now, they say (or we figure out a number) we have to pay # per month for 12 months. Not # for the year, now let's divide it. It still comes out tons cheaper than in NY if you convert it to dollars.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics