Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you have a basement? Do you use it? If so, what for?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 9:58 am
We are looking to buy a house very soonj. We narrowed it down to 2. The two houses are very similar, just one has a basement and one without. We are still negotiating, but it seems the basement house will cost 30K more than the non-basement. We are trying to figure out how important a basement is to us? We have young kids and live in a mild climate for most of the year, so for the most part they can play outside. But I suppose it would be nice to have when I want them in the house, in the evening, or early morning. I would really love input from someone who knows!! I wouldn't want it to just end up being a place where we store our junk.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 10:17 am
Our basement is finished and has a half bath, two bedrooms, kitchen, and living area - so we get a lot of use out of it. We also don't have a garage, and would have no storage space if not for the basement.

I do think that even if the basement is not finished, it's always good to have a basement because storage space is very important. In the future, you can always finish it as well.

Bsimcha

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 10:19 am
I store pesach stuff, clothes I want to keep, cribs, carriages, highchairs when not in use. All our toys, so instead of having the toys everywhere they are somewhat more contained. I have a guest room that is more private then upstairs. I have rented it out at times too which is nice. I have considered using it for a small business or a home office. I love my basement and would personally pay more for one. Very Happy

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 11:35 am
I don't have a basement because I don't have a house, but if you don't have an attic (no place for storage) a basement is great. One brother has one and he uses it as the kids playroom, storage, and guestroom. Another brother has one and one of the things he uses it for is for a bedroom. I don't know what else he uses it for because I've never been there. One of my sisters have a basement and she uses part for storage and the other part she rents. She does wish she made it into a playroom.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 12:44 pm
I have a whole list of things I will do with my basement when I buy a house iyh!

if its one big room; make a playgroup
if its livable; rent it out

storage
pesach kitchen
toyroom
office

Stayci

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 12:53 pm
A basement is really great. If you really feel you can't make good use out if it, then you can either rent it out or have it made into a furnished apartment where you can have guest or give it out for shabbosim.

SingALong

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 1:34 pm
I have a basement, 3 bedroom, 2 full bathrooms, a nice sized kitchen, small laundry room, medium sized DR/LR. I rent out that aprtment and I kept one small room to myself as storage.
eventually when I need the space IY'H, I would use the kitchen for pesach, bedrooms for guests/ my teens if they want privacy, LR/DR wold be huge playroom, and add more closets for storage.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 2:14 pm
A basement is a great thing to have. Right now we have there a storage closet, playroom-pc room-laundry room. Other half is a guest apt(if any of you want to come)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics