Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tzedakah knowing who and what to give!
Previous  1  2  3

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 7:18 pm
elisecohen wrote:
...that's the last time I'll ever let a tzedaka collector in. I just refuse to risk personal safety for the sake of "beautifying" the mitzvah. I'll give, and give politely, but I can't let people in, offer a drink, and so on, when there's a risk that they'll become demanding and abusive.

I'm sorry you had that unpleasant experience. It's rather surprising to me. Boruch Hashem, we had countless collectors coming to our (my parents') home when I was growing up and this never happened.

lucky wrote:
I only had large bills, so I just walked on.

maybe it was the "just walking on" that was upsetting, she felt ignored

chen

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 9:55 pm
elisecohen wrote:
I just refuse to risk personal safety for the sake of "beautifying" the mitzvah. I'll give, and give politely, but I can't let people in, offer a drink, and so on, when there's a risk that they'll become demanding and abusive.

I do not open the door to anyone I don't know if my husband is not home, and usually not even if he is home. I tell them to leave me an envelope and I'll mail in a donation. A number of years ago there were several horrifying incidents, in which a couple of thugs dressed up as meshulachim in order to gain entry to frum people's homes to commit various crimes.

lucky

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 10:10 am
Sometimes collecters can be really rude. Where I live, our doors are often unlocked, and some collecters just barge in. During the day when I am home alone I do not open the door for tzedaka.

S/o once had a collecter nag them for more money since he has to marry off his children. The person answered " I also b"h have children to marry off" .

chen

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 10:15 am
lucky wrote:
Sometimes collecters can be really rude. Where I live, our doors are often unlocked, and some collecters just barge in.

shock
why don't you lock your door?

shoy18

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 10:24 am
I dont mind giving to people on the street but when a young girl in tiny sleeves and short short skirt asks me for tzadaka it really bugs me. cant she get a job? or the woman who doesnt speak and comes up to you while your eating with your family and sticks her hand in your face and stands there? sometimes I just dont feel bad!

chen

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 10:51 am
shoy18 wrote:
Iwhen a young girl in tiny sleeves and short short skirt asks me for tzadaka it really bugs me. cant she get a job?

what does her clothing have to do with it? can't a young girl with big sleeves and a long long skirt get a job?

lucky

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 11:55 am
chen wrote:

shock

Thats the suburban way of life chen Very Happy

chen

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 12:04 pm
lucky wrote:
chen wrote:

shock

Thats the suburban way of life chen Very Happy

well, if I had strangers barging into my house, I'd lock my door PDQ, way of life or no way of life.

lucky

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 2:37 pm
I thought I know all the slang...What is PDQ????

chen

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 10:57 pm
Pretty Dashed Quick
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics