Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Democrats give Ahmadinejad Reason to Smile
Previous  1  2

Clarissa

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 5:41 pm
Really? You can tell me what events the candidates, or prominent people from either party who aren't candidates, have attended? Come on, if not for this thing you probably wouldn't have given the rally one thought, like most of the population.

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 7:41 pm
I think that when we talk about whether or not a candidate "understands" or "comprehends" foreign policy or any policy really, it's easy to discount their opinion when you don't agree with them. That doesn't necessarily mean the candidate is dumb, naive, or ignorant of the issues, it just means you don't agree.
I've heard lots of talk about getting the Arab street to like us by building them McDonalds and the like in their own territory so they'll realize we're not such bad guys after all and will think twice about their religion that commands them to murder infidels (referring to Islamofascists here). Or negotiations and concessions that have the free world backed into a corner. Or countless empty threats or worse: the US Air Force given a mission to bomb buildings or bridges for no reason whatsoever except to attract attention. Or decisions made according to what Europe or the UN think and which are not in the best interests of the US itself. Any of the above and the like, I consider bad foreign policy. Others think it works but recent history has shown otherwise. Those who think these things work also think that those who want strong leadership by the US government with the best interests in the US only in mind, don't understand foreign policy, and that's far from true. We just disagree.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 8:21 pm
That can be true, but it's not necessarily true. There are people who have radically different points of view than I about foreign and domestic policy, but I think they have a handle on what's going on.

roza

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 8:28 pm
At least Palin can see Russia from her house, but what does Obama see from his house? Mr. Green money exchange?

Clarissa

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 8:53 pm
Well, they do have one thing in common. Palin had a tanning bed, probably costing tens of thousands, installed in the governor's mansion. Obama is quite tanned. Not to mention that McCain has melanoma. Now we need to find a connecting fact about Biden, so we can all bask in the bronze glow of commonality.

chavamom

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 9:55 pm
GR wrote:
I think that when we talk about whether or not a candidate "understands" or "comprehends" foreign policy or any policy really, it's easy to discount their opinion when you don't agree with them. That doesn't necessarily mean the candidate is dumb, naive, or ignorant of the issues, it just means you don't agree.

I don't think this is the case. I don't agree with Ben Stein's views on a lot of things, but I would never say that he "doesn't comprehend" economics or foreign policy. He's brilliant and he's articulate and he's probably forgotten more about econ than I'll ever know in the first place. But it doesn't mean I necessarily want to go down his road, iykwim.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics