Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to keep your gasket on....?

Milk Munch

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 8:20 am
So what do you do when your kids do something REALLY naughty and you feel like you are going to blow a gasket?!
Erev Shabbos my kids went into my closet and pulled all my clothes off the hangers. Then they dumped a laundry baket full of clean clothes and one of dirty clothes into the pile. And for good measure all my shoes were mixed in too. .......
I mamash didn't know what to do with myself, I don't get angry like that too often.......
And by the way I have no idea what a gasket is.

chen

Post Fri, Dec 02 2005, 9:28 am
Assuming your question meant "what advice do you have for me that I can follow?" and not "what do you actually do b/c I'm curious what sort of parent you are?":

Call someone and ask them to come immediately to watch the kids while you go for a very brisk walk.

Call someone and rant and rave on the phone till you cool down.

Put the kids in their room, shut the door firmly, go into your room and ditto, and yell into a pillow.

What do I really do? You don't want to know embarrassed I will say I have actually done each of the above at least once and maybe more.

BTW a gasket is a strip or ring, usually of rubber or similar flexible material, used to seal joints between fittings in pipes or other equipment. When a gasket fails and the fluid inside is not under pressure, the fluid leaks out the joint. When the fluid is under pressure, the failed gasket is said to blow, and the fluid escapes rather violently. An appropriate image, no?

Milk Munch

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 6:40 am
I had a feeling a gasket was something automotive....
Wow, was I mad. I waslike pulling my hair out. I made my son clean all of it up. He is STILL working on it. (It involved a lesson in hanging clothes on hangers so I guess he learned something out of it...)
I ended up not letting him on the computor and not making any shabbos treats. So I don't think he will pull shtick like that again.
Maybe I should have posted in the "rant & rave" section, I just felt at a complete loss at that moment....

chen

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 11:28 am
sounds like you handled it admirably. how old is your son?

happyone

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 11:49 am
good mom!
I wouldve REALLY blown a gasket!
Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics